Thread: So who went to the boat show ?

Default So who went to the boat show ?

well i went, and looked at my dream boat, the hews 26' cuddy hard top.
    been reading everything i can find on the internet about ocean boats and whats affordable, and that boat seems to be the way to go for my wallet restrictions and what i want to do with it.

I don't ever see any used ones for sale, does that mean they are that good and no one is selling theirs or are they just too new to the market to be for sale used?

did any one here buy one, the guy i talked to said he had sold 3 of them, the first couple days of the show.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Are you talking about the pilot house model or the other type? I really like the looks of the pilot house but I don't like the idea of a non self bailing deck. I like self bailers for cleaning out the fish mess.
    Mike

You mean that boat doesn't have any scuppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    Are you talking about the pilot house model or the other type? I really like the looks of the pilot house but I don't like the idea of a non self bailing deck. I like self bailers for cleaning out the fish mess.
    Mike

http://www.deweysmarine.com/products/hewescraft.html

this one here, 26' cuddy hard top, don't like the yellow so much but there are other colors to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    You mean that boat doesn't have any scuppers?
    They don't or I would be looking into ordering one. My local dealer says they won't do it from the factory. My local guy does not have one to look at so I don't know how hard it would be to convert one. For me not having an aluminum self bailing deck in the fishing cockpit is a deal breaker. I really like the rest of the boat though.
    Mike

A friend of mine has a 22-ft. C-Dory. It's a great boat and gets good gas mileage, but it doesn't have scuppers either. It's a pain to have to keep turning on the bilge pump to clear the water when you're cleaning up after catching and cleaning fish. Pieces of fish, bait, etc. keep clogging the thing and you have to keep cleaning it out so it'll pump again. Plus, I don't like the idea of having a boat that can sink if you're taking on water and the pumps can't keep up or don't even work (dead battery for example). And I guess you'd have to make sure water doesn't gather in the boat when it's on the trailer, too.

To have a boat the size of what you looked at that and that's made for Alaska and fishing, and it doesn't drain overboard, doesn't make any sense to me. I think I'd have to pass, too.

How difficult would it be to remove the factory floor and weld in a diamond plate floor and add scuppers? You could add a freeman hatch to access the bilge and fuel tank. Would this be cost effective? It seems to me that you would be into it for over $100k. That is a lot for a 26 foot factory boat. Spend a little more and have one built to your specs. That is what I am doing.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have had a boat with scuppers and the one I have now does not I will not do that again. Having the blood and fish stuff going into the bilge is a mess and it stinks if you don't get it cleaned out good. I like to just wash it all off the decks.

I doubt the scuppers would stop the boat from sinking if you take on a large amount of water the scuppers will probably be under the water line on most boats. If you are still underway they will tend to suck the water out though even if they are below the water line but you would need to be moving fairly fast for that to happen.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    I have had a boat with scuppers and the one I have now does not I will not do that again. Having the blood and fish stuff going into the bilge is a mess and it stinks if you don't get it cleaned out good. I like to just wash it all off the decks.

I doubt the scuppers would stop the boat from sinking if you take on a large amount of water the scuppers will probably be under the water line on most boats. If you are still underway they will tend to suck the water out though even if they are below the water line but you would need to be moving fairly fast for that to happen.
    Mike
    I agree the scuppers would do little good if you were taking on lots of water. I had in mind a situation where maybe the boat was kept in a slip and unattended and the rain just kept filling it.

Default Well...

Do you want your boat to sink fast or sink slow; that's the question. At the slip, that extra 24 hours or whatever may allow someone to notice how low your boat is sitting in the water, or more seriously, the extra time you could gain out on the open ocean may save your lives and those with you by having a raised deck.
    No decent factory built boat should have the name "fishing" attached to it unless it has a raised deck. In all events, if your boat is sitting in a slip, by all means have a multiple battery setup with a float activated switch for the bilge pump or get it out of the water. Where I live (Hawaii), most boats have "wash" decks, as it's common to see 25 knot tradewinds and water constantly coming over the gunnels or bow. Kauai has the most consistently rough conditions (most people ask if it's "always this rough" on nice days) I've seen anywhere, no place for submarine-deck boats. I've seen one place that always scares the pants off me; the middle rip in the Cook Inlet, gillnetting in the midst of it. Yikes!
    As to the question of adding a raised deck, I would think that it would raise the center of gravity.
    Jim

The whole point of scuppers is to clear the water off a self bailing deck. If your boat doesn’t have a self bailing deck scuppers are a non issue, having them would sink your boat!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default 26' cuddy

So how much are they asking for the 26' cuddy?

Default Price on 26'

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    So how much are they asking for the 26' cuddy?
    Show price was $94,000 with twin F115 and included few thousand $ worth or accessories.