Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steese Caribou Dec 1 Hunt

Default Steese Caribou Dec 1 Hunt

Does Any One Know About The Forty Mile Herd Being Near The Steese Hwy? Central Area?

A friend of mine said he talked to a guy and they are seeing them around Central/Circle Hotsprings. That was a couple weeks ago.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default just got back

A buddy and I just got back from Circle. About a week ago a large herd of bou crossed the highway at eagle summit. We saw the super-highway of tracks there but didn't see anything else. Temps ranged from -9 in the valleys to 18 on the summit.

problem is they could be in Florida by dec 1 sipping hot toddies in gstrings on the beach catching a tan

Default steese

I'm hoping we have enough snow so I can use the snogo..........

Default snow

Is There Enough Snow Up There Or Is It Lie Fairbanks Not Much But Just Enough For A Sled??

Default steese

wondering if anyone has anymore reports on the steese caribou? snow depth? etc. Thanks

Isn't the Circle area outside of the hunting boundary? I thought it was the White Mtn area that is open for the December 1 hunt. Am I way off?

The forty mile herd hunt (RC867) and the white mountains herd(RC879) is two different hunts.
    If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill.
    Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear
    or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul -----Fred Bear

Oh ok, I didn't realize they did a winter non White Mtn Hunt. I am still new to the whole Alaska hunting thing.

Default Any new INFO?

Anybody heard anything more?

Thanks, Jake

Default 40 mile

snow depth was ok friday, at least it wasnt melting. weather is balmy, so who knows what effect that will have on the critters. we glassed & glassed all day friday up around 12 mile thru millerhouse, seen two moose. period. couple birds. slim pickins. of course i'm going!!! i like a challenge.
    drove up the last weekend of fall hunt, seen one dandy bull. coulda-shoulda-woulda sort of thing. caught me off guard; didnt expect to see anything, all updates i seen said nothing in the area. go figure...
    good luck...

Default rumor

I heard they are thinking of cancelling - postponing the steese hunt due to heard movement near the road. There is nothing on the the hotline though.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Hotline

Yeah the hotline isn't saying much at all....gives a quota and says that they will be TRYING to do a fly over before opening "if weather permits". Hate to go in there blind but maybe 4 days will give us enough time to see something....anybody know about the white mountain hunt....got a permit for that too. Thanks, Peter

Default hotline

They said they were going to try and fly it today so hopefully by tomorrow or thursday they'll have some info on there.

My friend here in Fairbanks knows a guy who lives up by Central and he said they have been seeing them all over the place. He and his Dad and son are headed up this weekend. I'll be tearing apart my bathroom...
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    He and his Dad and son are headed up this weekend. I'll be tearing apart my bathroom...

I know this is a stretch, but I am guessing they will have company! <grin>

Gonna be a madhouse this weekend up that way if they open it, sooooo many guys talking about going!

Hot line has a update. Sounds like they are close to accessible areas.

Default steese

steese area will be open on Dec. 1st and close on Dec. 2nd and the taylor will be open on Dec. 1st only, sounds like they're pretty close to the rd. It will certainly be an interesting hunt.

Why are they closing the season early? I just called the hotline. Are there not enough caribou or what? What's the deal?
    If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill.
    Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear
    or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul -----Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast