Thread: RCBS cast bullet seating plugs

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default RCBS cast bullet seating plugs

I have been digging thru my Midway USA catalog and cant seem to find any alternate seating plugs for my 375 winchester dies. the seater plug that is supplied with them looks just like the one for my 375 H&H and is for pointed spitzer type bullets. It really smooshes the crap out of my cast flat point bullets. Any ideas? I am thinking about filling it part way with epoxy or something to get a flat spot in the seater plug to match with the flat nose on the bullet.

I'd bet it's the same seating plug used in the H&H. If the threaded stem is long enough you could certainly hack some off the bottom or use epoxy or some such as you propose. We're not talking a lot of force there. I have to admit to going "non-standard" on the plug for my RCBS 38-56 dies, which I'm betting have the same plug we're talking about here. I pulled a wadcutter seating plug from a 38 Special pistol seating die I had lying around and used that. We're not talking a lot of seating pressure here.

I'm kinda surprised that your seeing as much smooshing as you describe. Are you also getting a little shaving off the side of the bullet now and then? That much effort tells me you might consider a stepped case neck expander, or worst case one that bells the case mouth. This would expand the case mouth slightly and allow easier bullet starting. You close the bell back when you crimp, so it's not a big deal other than a little more exercizing of the brass at the mouth. If you did that, I doubt you would be smooshing the bullet noses unless for some reason you're shooting pure lead paperpatch bullets, and your loads would potentially be more accurate because you weren't shaving the sides of the bullet.

Work backwards-

Decide if you have problems at the case neck when seating. You're going to have to address that if you are for simple accuracy reasons, no matter what seating plug you use.

Try using the plug from a 38 spec seater die. If it works to your satisfaction, you can order one of those.

If none of that suits, then modify the plug. Epoxy should be fine, but I'd wax a bullet (as a release agent) and use that to "glass bed" the bullet nose shape into the plug.

I have had the same problem with the RCBS dies .
    I have used JB weld to make a new forming tip with the seater and I have taken the seater plug out and put in some LDPE disc's (coffee can lids ) and just used the adjusting ring to get the bullets to desired depth .
    The disc's prevent the deforming of the WFN cast bullet ..

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Thanks for the input guys......I'm going to order some stuff from Midway USA today anyway, and will get an alternate seater pult for a 38 wad cutter as you suggested. My lead is not that soft (13 - 14 bn) but I am loading compressed loads of 30gr of RL #7 so it has to compress that powder about an 1/8" or so. Also, the edge of the seater plug is rather sharp, not enough to cut you of course but sharp enough to dig into the lead bullet about half way back on the ogive. They shoot just fine (got back from bunny creek about an hour ago) but just look stupid