Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Trout Fishing Spot Revealed!

Default Secret Trout Fishing Spot Revealed!

Apparently my recent posts of my trips to the Talkeetna river have rubbed some the wrong way….

….You gotta’ be kidding me right!???? To ALL you people who feel like you have to keep an area secret to enjoy it are pathetic. Do you really think that the Talkeetna in the fall is some secret fishery??? Give me a break. The reality is most people do not have the energy or care enough to be out busting ice and bearing the cold to catch a few trout. That is what is keeping most of the people off of the rivers.
    If you have a little more knowledge about successfully fishing the valley (or anyplace), do you feel like you are somehow special and only your friends are privy to your information? Remember, there was a time when you too had no idea where/when/how to fish as well.
    I have been trout fishing in the valley for 20+ years. I have learned most just by going out and figuring it out. But there have been many who have helped out and gave me a little bit of information and I’ve had many good times as a result. I don’t even care if I fish that much when I go out. I am equally as happy to see others have a good time. I’ve met some pretty nice guys here on this forum and they’d be happy to back that.

So no, I don’t care if I “ will be limiting the number of fish you can catch in the future because more people will be up there hooking them and getting in your way”

….…Maybe I’ll make some new friends just out doing the same thing I am.

I have caught many big trout over the years but I still have a lot to learn. I really appreciate those that show me new fishing spots/techniques and I am only too happy to do the same. We are all after the same thing. Having a good time with family and friends. If you’re too selfish to share a little to help out others, I pity you.

Bottom line is, I think it is great that there is a place that we can all come ask our questions and get the insight of others. Even if it includes “WHERE TO CATCH TROUT”. So , if you think I am just bragging you got it all wrong. I enjoy looking at the pictures of others and I know that there are those that enjoy looking at mine. The selfish lens that you view these forums through is comically apparent. As you browse through here looking for information you chastise me for giving it out.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-10-2007 at 10:21. Reason: Removed name

In case you fogot... P.M. = private message.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    in case you forgot....Public forum.....Don't send me a message giving me grief...the PM's aren't for giving other a hard time....

TJM
    It sure made me happy to see those pictures posted, just maybe half the people leaving Anchorage will turn north instead of south when they leave with there fishing gear. Ha Ha very nice rainbow tips I'm jealous to,,, so Everyone lets fish the Talkeetna river for wolrd class Rainbow .

Default Easier said than done

I don’t even care if I fish that much when I go out. I am equally as happy to see others have a good time. I’ve met some pretty nice guys here on this forum and they’d be happy to back that.
    And I am one of them. I consider myself a decent fisherman, but trout and grayling fishing are new to me. Fact of the matter is tjm has spent a considerable amount of time, on the river, teaching me how to catch these fish. Not to mention sharing his gear, tackle, boat, and so on. His generocity shadows just about anyone I have shared the bank with. His character is in no way questioned by me.

A secret hole in SC is worth holding onto. I have my share, but I have also shared them as well. BUT come on, the talkeetna is no secret. Same goes for Deshka, Lake Creek, Willow Creek, Lil Su, Klutina, blah blah blah and the list goes on. OH I hear Jim Creek has a good run of silvers and reds. SHOCKER! I even watched a phantom sportjon video showing their talkeetna catches on DVD. That's no different, maybe the PM'er should send an email to the producer as well. Smell ya on the river before freezeup?
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-10-2007 at 10:23. Reason: Remoed name

WE ARE GIVING AWAY TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED INFORMATION.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=14391

Look like I will be heading down to the Kenai to fish kings along side fishNphysician this July.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-10-2007 at 10:18. Reason: language

Well, in all honesty, I agree with TJM to a point:
    We have a place in Alaska and have been coming to AK since 1997. It's taken quite a few years to become somewhat successful catching fish on the Kenai river. One of the huge reasons for that is because of the help, information, & advice I've gleaned from the gentlemen on this site and I'm thankful that there are still decent people that want to help us novices. I'm still learning and will always be learning until the day I kick the bucket. I've also met guys (Alaskans) on the river that have helped me out with tips or advice. For example, this last July, I was fishing for reds about midnight trying out my newly rigged flyrod. I rigged it as I saw other guys do it, but had no luck. Out of the bushes come this guy w/his limit of reds. He says "hello, how's it goin?" I say, "hi, just tryin' out my new flyrod, but no fish yet" This guy then proceeds to show me exactly how he rigs his flyrod, which I do the next day and that technique dramatically improved our red fishing/catching. He didn't know me from Adam, but helped me out regardless.
    So what did we do? We shared that same information with the people who we fished next to on the river who were struggling and you know what? That gives you an awesome feeling, knowing you've helped somebody out, especially since I didn't have a clue myself a few days earlier.
    I do believe however, that TJM could've relayed all his information without singling out someone.
    Still learning,
    Jim
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-10-2007 at 10:25. Reason: Removed name

Default love the pics

keep the fish p*rn coming!

Default Talkeetna?? A Secret??

Talkeetna's rainbows are not a well kept secret! I thought everyone knew about them.
    There are just as big 'bows (and bigger) a lot closer to Anchorage than Talkeetna. I just can't see what the big deal is about the Talkeetna info being leaked??
    Anyone who gets upset about info being given out should read ADN's Hot Spots or watch any of the TV stations that show where to fish.
    Talkeetna is old news!! Very OLD. Talkeetna a secret rainbow river?? hahahaha ROTFLMAO

Did anyone mention the rainbows in Little Willow, Big Willow, Montana, and Goose Creek??? Both of the Su Rivers also....Just to mention a few. They are all full of 'bows.. Big BOWS!!
    Ya just gotta know when and where...

I don't fish the fresh water too much anymore.. It smells funny. So if anyone wants some of my "SECRET" spots... PM me. I was born here before state hood...

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Bad form to print what someone has P.M.ed to you. I think one could elude to a P.M. anonymously, but leave out the name. Basic internet etiquette.

Default Cleaning

I was cleaning the house this morning and it looks like I should of started here.

I removed the name of the PM'er and removed the profanity.

Forum rules apply to the PM system as well as the forums.

If we are going to discuss this issue, pleas keep it clean and not name names.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default thanks for the posting

thank you TJM for the posting. I fish up there alot infact the talkeetna is my fvorite road accesable river that I have fished so far. I liked the pictures and the stories. .....Maybe I should post some of my secret spots.

I have read the responses and PM’s sent as a result of this thread….I’ll paraphrase the comments…Here’s my responses….

“PM’s are Private and should be kept that way”
    MY RESPONSE:
    I am happy to respect and adhere to forum rules. In the future I will ignore unwelcome/uninformed messages. My apologies.

“It seems that you feel defensive and need to respond publicly”
    MY RESPONSE:
    I am not defensive. My point of view is just different. In fact, the original purpose of posting the pictures was to allow friends around the country to view them. The purpose of the thread was to discuss the sad attitude toward trout fishing by so many folks. “Shhh, don’t tell or you’ll ruin the fishing.” The resource is there for us all to enjoy. I will not be greedy and defend a “secret” spot. Especially one as 'secret' as the Talkeetna..

“Making posts like yours will speed the demise of the fishery”
    MY RESPONSE:
    I have fished the valley streams exclusively for trout for over 20 years. Some years over 120 days (before kids..lol). There is very little water left in the valley that I haven’t fished. I have been helping/sharing my whole life. Has there been a decline in the sheer numbers of 24+ inch trout that I have caught in any day? Yes, but only in a couple sections of the most popular rivers. Is that what it is all about? No. There are many more folks enjoying the sport just like I am and that is good to see. The fishing pressure will grow and if those that care about the area would just help the participants use the resource in a responsible way then we all win. If you keep tight lipped, well, only you win, and I don’t think like that.

“you just need the attention”
    MY RESPONSE: hardly worth a response…If I want attention, I’d be posting links to hundreds of large trout pictures stored online. I’d be posting relentlessly “look at me, look at me!” Bottom line is I share a little because I enjoy it when others do the same. I think it is pretty neat to chat with others about their trips.

“It's scary when young guys like you know enough to catch some fish but not enough to protect the information and the resource.”
    MY RESPONSE: Young? I guess 30 is young. My age tells nothing about my knowledge or commitment to protecting the resource. Not talking about the resource is not the best way to protect it. Besides, what ‘secret’ did I let out of the bag? Talkeetna in the fall?…give me a break. Anyone who is remotely interested in trout fishing is aware…It is not like trout fishing is even difficult. They are quite hungry and dumb in Alaska. Lets not take ourselves too seriously and get too proud of what we catch...I'll protect the resource by helping other be better stewards (sp?) not by being greedy.

So to all who agree with the philosophy that the river is “mine” and I ain’t gonna’ tell….I guess we’ll just have to disagree. To all those who enjoy getting out and making memories with family and friends, Let’s chat….I’m sure I can learn a lot from you too….Anyone want to teach me how to catch kings?….I’m terrible at it…Last spring was the first time I targeted them and I sure got my butt kicked….lol

TJM

If you're not here to learn a little / share a little re: fishing tips, locations, etc....you shouldn't be here in the first place!

(Pssst! ...I heard there are silvers in Bird Creek, but don't tell anyone.)

Thumbs down I'm with you TJM!

This thread makes me laugh. TJM, I love the fact that you share your knowledge on here for people that are just starting out and for people that are looking for a new spot. I think people that "horde" spots to themselves because they feel that a particular area will become "overpressured" are ignorant. If someone were to ask me where to fish for, example, Steelhead, I'd gladly reply with the time, date, fly, location, and directions. You mean to tell me that you want to deny people the feeling you secret-keepers get when you catch a "trophy" fish in your secret hole? SELFISH and REDICULOUS! Basically, thats your hole, you bought it, paid for it, own it, and fish it 24/7/365. I think not. This is a discussion forum for people to ask questions, give info, brag, and etc. If you don't want to give out info, fine, don't. How dare you flame someone for giving out info.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by tjm
    you people who feel like you have to keep an area secret to enjoy it are pathetic.
    I find that offensive, and I'd have to disagree.

I fail to see how competing for fish in a popular spot would be more enjoyable than fishing in a tranquil, unoccupied, secret spot.

I take a lot of pride in the fact I've found special spots and use techniques that set me apart from other fisherman. If I blabbed that sacred information to millions of people on the internet, it would serve no purpose other than to exploit the very thing I love the most...A spot that attaches itself to my soul. It's what makes me an individual and a unique fisherman apart.

Some folks are humble. Others aren't. Some folks hold certain things sacred. Others don't. I understand that. If you want to tell the world about your fishing spot and you enjoy fishing with the world when you go there, then that's your prerogative. But please don't tell those of us who feel otherwise that we are "pathetic".

Unhappy I know the feeling

I got blasted by members of the "breakfast club" before on this forum for sharing "their secret location" of Klutina River. Secret public access point were none.

I used jedi mind tricks on them.

There will always be the dark side and haters to contend with.

Thank you for sharing your fishing experience.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post

I fail to see how competing for fish in a popular spot would be more enjoyable than fishing in a tranquil, unoccupied, secret spot.
    There is a difference between helping others and having a big mouth. I have introduced many to fishing and have no problem finding fish without people if that is what I'm after...Frankly, fishing with good company is always more enjoyable than fishing alone...I am sorry you feel threatened by others. Give me a piece of river with one or one hundred people and I'm going to catch fish and probably help a few others out in the process. Perhaps some people just need untouched waters away from people to land a few...It's not like there are a dozen people chasing one legal moose around. These are trout. Dumb and very easy to catch. That what is fun about taking others out. It is so easy to make someone's day, and that makes mine.....and besides, what 'secret' spot am I 'telling the world' about....I for one don't think it's all about ME...

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post

If you want to tell the world about your fishing spot and you enjoy fishing with the world when you go there, then that's your prerogative. But please don't tell those of us who feel otherwise that we are "pathetic".
    Those that enjoy solitude are not pathetic. I enjoy it too sometimes. Those that have a problem with people helping out others are pathetic (in my worthless opinion) So Grampy, decide which you are before taking offense to my comment...if you're the latter, then we'll just have to agree to disagree....There was a time when you probably had no clue where to go get a few fish...I know I've been there...It is frustrating, and I'd be a pretty crummy guy not to help a guy out....

State of Alaska DNR has also let the cat out of the bag as well, but please don't tell anyone. They have mapped the Six Recreational Rivers, that include the Talkeetna and identified and posted every known "fishing hole" (even the secret ones, ha). We need more of this type of posting, if we hope to foster the fishing spirit. If young people go fishing and become frustrated by not catching fish, guess what, they will not go back and will find something else to spend their time and money on. I will leave it to your imagination, to determine what that "something else" is.

tjm: I enjoyed the photos and the story, thank you. And as far as these people peod' about the "big mighty talkeetna" being a secrete hot spot, shhhwwww, please, give me a break. Thats like saying "don't tell anyone about the red's in the Kenai".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast