Thread: Just picked up my 458 Lott

Default Just picked up my 458 Lott

I picked my 458 Lott up today from Stan Jackson. I have to say I am thrilled with it. The work is excellent and the balance is perfect. I really like the feel of Accuracy Inovations stock, it balances out that heavy barrel really well. It turned out a tad heavier than I had originally planned but still not bad. I figure its weight at around 10lbs maybe 11 with the scope. It balances so well that it doesn't seem that heavy though. Here are the specifics...

Winchester m70 classic action, formerly a 300 winchester mag.
    24" douglas barrel
    Accuracy Inovations stock
    Brockmans pop up peep talley bases
    Sourdough style front blade on williams ramp Bore sighted at 25 yards with lazer boresighter
    Removable muzzle break with knurled cap
    I stole the Vx III 1.5-5 lighted reticle off my lightwieght 375 for it in talley lever detach rings.

Here are some pics....

I have some 350gr speers loaded up to 2750fps for practice but need to come up with a good load for the 400gr Kodiak bonded and hope to check out the woodliegh 400gr PP.

Cool

Dude that thing is sweeet. I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

Sweet rifle! My Lott is due back any day and I like your choice of sights.
    If you have not purchased reloading dies, avoid the new Hornady Deminsion dies. They really screwed up my Lott brass.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe-

I had the same problem with a set of hornady dies, they undersized the brass really bad. I sent them back and have a set of RCBS now. They work great.

Rimefirematt-

If you want to shoot it give me a call tomorrow or sunday. One of those days I'll probably take it out to birchwood.

Nice rifle 78.

I like the removeable muzzle brake and the AI stock. Have fun with her!

If the weight becomes an issue I can always drop it in a lightweight kevlar stock and cut a couple pounds off. I figured the removable muzzle brake would be the way to go. Sometimes when we are hunting out of the airboat its fairly close quarters shooting, I'd hate to have the muzzle blast knock a buddy out of the boat! I'm only half kidding my buddy has a 300 win mag with wild west three hole brake and it is almost unbearable, much worse than some others I have had in this style before.

I'm already scheming on a spring brown/griz hunt.....seems almost mandatory now.

That rifle would make a killer Blacktail rifle for Kodiak
    Tennessee

That's a sweet rifle you got there. Hard to beat a model 70 classic for a custom rifle.

You do need to shoot a brown bear this spring with that rifle.

I have some really mean prarrie dogs back home. They catch bullets in their teeth for fun. I think they might have met their match.
    That is one great looking rifle

Wieghed it tonight, right at 10lbs with scope. I imagine recoil will be stiff but not uncontrolable.

Default Shot the Lott!!!!

Shot the Lott tonight, it shot really good. Recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I expected either. It gave a healthy little shove but not near as bad as my 375 H&H. The first pic is a 5 shot group with the peep sight. Nothing to brag too hard about but not bad and definately minute of bear. The second pic is a three shot group with the scope, that one was pretty darn good, good enough Ididn't want to risk messing the group up shooting any more. The shooting was at 100 yards and the load was 350gr Speer with H322 just above the starting load in the new speer manual. Supposed to be about 2700fps but didn't have a chronograph.

After shooting it 12 times I noticed the trigger got wiggly and it wouldn't lock the firing pin back when the bolt was cycled. Took it back to Stan to check out. Turns out the adjustment nut on the trigger had loosened up. Put a drop of blue locktite on it after readjusting it.

Talking A Lott of gun!

You've got quite a rifle to be proud of, no doubt about it. Those 350 Speers will be hard to beat in that caliber...about as tough a bullet as one can find. If you ever get a chance to try some 350 Barnes-X, let us know how they perform. I use both, with great groups and results from both. If one wants just a little more hydraulic shock damage, with adequate penetration, try some 300 gr Barnes. Have mercy. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.