Thread: compass rows

Default compass rows

I have herd of people halibut fishing the compass rows in cook inlet and I am not sure where they are talking about. Any one out there know this place and willing to share. Also looking for other places for halibut. I have fished off of English bay and Flat Island with good sucess. I have found alot of fish in these spots but not any over about 40lbs.

Default compass rose

It is the compass rose. It is where the compass rose is on the kachemack bay marine map. It is a large area. I have had good success in multiple spots with in it. Just drop anchor and try.

On most marine charts there is a circle showing all the points on a compass so you can tell which way is up, this is called a compass rose.

Default Compass ROSE

Look on nautical chart 16645 and it is the magenta colored circle between Point Pogibshi ad Anchor Point. The circle has the bearings of true north, magnetic north and the variation for the area. When I went by Flat Island last weekend, it looked like a flea market in Tiajuana. Boats were almost rafted on top of each other and this was during a strong flood tide. Must have been some fish hitting in that area. Also if you have a large enough boat and the weather is nice, there are always a couple of guys sitting on the mounts west of Cape Elizabeth. And if the weather is really nice, there must be a hundred whales feeding down in between West Amatuli and Ushagat. I saw them every trip through last week, even in the middle of the night. Good Luck.

Default Now I know

Thanks for the info guys. Tired of combat fishing at Flat Island. Every time I try a spot south out of homer and the fishing is slow I cant stay away from Flat Island. Lots of boats but as soon as the bait hits the bottom you have a fish. The bad part of it is I have not cought any thing over 40lbs.

The map I have has the compass rose near mt. augistine basically in the middle of cook inlet. I forgot what number is the map.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default The Rose

You'll be hard pressed to consistantly get anything real big there. Fwiw...I'd much rather fish Flat Island for the Bigger Butz than Compass Rose, But one thing you'll find there is that the tide doesn't move nearly as hard as it does down by Flat or Pogi.

You want a big butz, use big baitz, fish the hard tides, and you'll eventually hook up, if your getting the chickens - simply move - maybe as little as a hundred yards or so. Everytime i can remember, we always get one or two fish over the 50 range @ Flat....Always at anchor - If your Driftin - you most likely getting lil uns

Dont be afraid to try close to Tutka - with the pinks moving in there...good chance a few of the Whole Salmon Swallowin Monsters of the Deep are there

I fished flat island to me there was nothing but chickens around. Very shallow and hard bottom.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I Agree With Alaska Grey Hard Bottom And Little Butts. I Have Only Fished There A Handful Of Times However.