Thread: AK fish survey compete it or not?

Default AK fish survey compete it or not?

I got a AK fish survey today. I was curious if others complete these surveys or not? If so, why or why not?

Default to long

If it is the one ADF&G sends out it is LONG and takes to much time. I did fill one out last year but man it was a pain. Had to do one for each fishery and regions etc. Took a while.

I filled mine out even though it consumed a bit of time. Perhaps in doing so it'll assist Fish and Game in making some sound and informed changes.

I got them 2 years in a row. filled out the first but not the second. But I was gone most of that summer any way and so I didn't get that many fish

Default I filled mine out

last year. I assume (oops we know what that means!) that they will use the results to better our fisheries
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

It is helpful to fill them out. I just got one in the mail, I think this is the 3rd I have recieved. The only thing I wish they did was send it out at the start of the season and then ask for it after the season. I can't even begin to remember where I fished and how many I caught. If they sent it out before, at least you could keep it up to date.

Please take it on good authority (cough cough) that these forms are very helpful to letting managers know what is going on in their area...and changing trends etc. etc. ad nauseum. True, they take some time....true, it may be hard to remember everywhere you went if you are enjoying alaska as it is meant to be enjoyed, but do it the best you can. This is a friggin huge state and all the fisheries cannot be surveyed on a daily basis, so the burden gets passed on to us the fishermen to let our state agencies know what's going on and where to direct further management efforts to maintain and improve our fisheries.

Default Yeah I do

I completed mine this year and sent it in because I think fish and game uses it to better manage our fisheries. I do agree its a challenge to fill out after a couple Alaskan IPAs. I can barely remember where I went this summer!

I havent filled out the last two I got, because I get them at the end of the year, and can't remember most of the stuff I caught.

If they sent them out at the start of the year, I would be all for filling them out, heck I even suggested this on both survey's I sent in incompleted.

Default depends which one it is...

There are several "Fish Surveys" coming out of ADF&G the past few years. If it's the one they send to residents asking about all the various fish caught in the area it's probably VERY helpful to fill out.

There's a postcard survey floating around the whole US asking about the recipient's activities on charter boats and/or with guides. This is the tricky one... here's a scenario: You're out on Company X charters fishing silvers for 3 hours. It's you, your spouse, and a guy off a cruise ship with 2 kids (under 16). The bag limit is 6 per person per day in SE, and between the 5 of you, 29 fish are caught. A few questions:
    - The survey asks how many fish you personally caught. Were you one of the 4 who caught 6 coho, or did you only catch 5? Better answer carefully, since the guide has to keep a logbook detailing exactly how many fish each person caught.
    - Did the guide remember to fill out the log carefully while coho mayhem was breaking out on deck? Or maybe he/she just filled in 6 fish for the first 4 numbers and 5 fish for the last on the list since he remembers counting 29 fish heads very well at the dock.
    - Is ADF&G using this survey to check guides' honesty? I think so. I got a letter last season threatening me with a $5000 fine and loss of guiding license because some lady in Iowa said she caught 12 coho on my boat, and I only reported 6 for her in my log. I have since appealed the decision, and come out with no penalties since it was reasonable to assume that the client remembered all 12 fish she AND HER HUSBAND brought home...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The big long survey is the post-season Statewide Harvest Survey (SWHS) and is used primarily to estimate harvests in the major fisheries across the state.

You should fill it out as completely and accurately as your memory allows... EVEN IF YOU CAUGHT NO FISH!

By not turning it in, the sample size of returned surveys is diminished. The The final estmated harvest number is determined by extrapolating the results of the surveys that get turned in. Obviously they are NOT all turned in. My gut feeling is that successful anglers are more likely to turn them in than those who found no success. Therefor I believe the estimates of harvest would more likely be biased high.

If the collected mass of surveys is NOT a representative sample, then the harvest estimate will be substantially skewed.

The final harvest numbers are used in post-season run-size reconstructions and to determine exploitation rates in the various fisheries. The better the numbers ADFG has to work with, the better they can craft regs to appropriately manage said fisheries.

Get 'em in ... get 'em in!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Survey

Think about it this way, it's a good way to remember those great times you had during the summer. Fill it out, send it in. It's all part of the experience.

Default What you say can be used against you.

Down here in California we have Creel census people from DFG and they will count fish and note species and size and so on, they also ask if you caught and released anything.

A funny thing happend this year we found out that the bean counters in DFG were having thier way with us.

Short and sweet, we have a no bag limit on Yellow eye, Canary and Cow cod. If you innocently happened to tell the census people that you caught and released 6 Yellow eye they have an estimated survival rate they apply and they would count 3 of those 6 as killed and thay counts against the Recreational fishery over all take. I recall it was estimated at 2.5 tons.

We also had some dumb bells that caught yellow eye and brought them in (Some people are just oblivious to life) and those fish also counted against the by catch limit.

Now comes the fun part, since they claim we had a poor salmon season and they estimated that more people were fishing rockfish they projected that more Yellow eye would be killed so they shut the entire rockfish and ling season down 2-3 months early for the northern part of the state.

So just food for thought. Point being here is what ever you say can, and probably will be used against you.

Default Didn't we all learn this lesson in the 1st grade?

On the flip side Jan, what you don't reveal can also come back to bite you.

Let's go back to what I said about successful folks being more likely to respond. If a significant number of those who failed to catch fish (or caught very few fish) do not return their surveys, the results will be skewed high. The results of the more successful anglers will tend to dominate the sample, and when those results are extrapolated for the entire cohort of anglers, the final harvest number will be much higher than what actually occurred. Exploitation rates will appear to be fictitiously high.

In certain fisheries, those higher exploitation rates "can and will be used against us."

Bottom line, honesty is the best policy. Full disclosure will better serve the interest of the resource... PERIOD!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Never received one
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

fishNphysician to some extent I agree with you and most of us would not have a problem with a closure of a season if there were clearly defined facts to back it. But in this case they used the "SWAG" process to get their numbers that were presented to the PFMC for backing the closure request.

We've raised a lot of questions with the powers that be and have yet to get satisfactory answers.

One of my big questions to the commissioner was where was the enforcement aspect? They knew that there were fishermen taking protected species out of three different landings yet there was a noted lack of wardens present to issue citations.

Of course we also have a Governor that is doing his best to buy the environmental vote here in the state so this was a political slam dunk.