Thread: 45/70, bullets and accuracy

Default 45/70, bullets and accuracy

I had a Stainless Guide Gun worked on by WW Guns. Bored it out for the .457 WW Mag, porting, scout scope, trigger kit, ejector etc. Now its time for the ammunition. I dont reload (probably should) I am looking for the best all around "store bought" round for shots up to 200 yds. I know that's pushing the weapon but I also know it can be done. With cheap Federal loads I was placing 4" groups @ 200 but the difference between 150yds and 200yds was to much for my liking. I have heard about Buffalo Bore and Garrett shells but have not tried them. I am going to use the rifle for moose and bear (both) I want to sight it in with 45/70 rounds and then when I am comfortable work with the .457 to see where the difference is-suggestions?? (I know this is opening up a BIG can of worms)

RC

Default 45/70

RC a Big can of worms it is!! The 45/70 is good to 200 yds with the right loads, I tried Garrett hardcast on bear and did not like them they just sailed on thru, good for cape buff maybe but not bear, I shot 2 with them and neither one acted hit and ran 200 yards, not good with grizzly. I killed a grizzly with Rem. 405 grn bullets and they worked well. I am working on some 350 grn cast bullets with ranch dog molds i want them fairly soft might try air cooled WW. remember when people tell you the 45/70 is not a long range gun all the buffalo that it killed at very long range! and after guideing for 22 years now I have found that 99.9 % of shots are taken at inside 200 yards and most guys (myself included) shouldnt shoot past that anyway, if I had a dollar for every guy that told me he was comfortable shooting out to 500 then miss a moose at 50 I would be wealthy!

Default your correct

I think your absolutley correct on the distance. I'm solid with my .338 out to 400 and I know the 45/70 has the ability but I dont think I do at this point. Have you tried the Buffalo Bore cartridges? I have heard (not tried) that in a 400gr. round nose jacketed were a good option but I really dont want to choose with a trail and error attitude on bears or moose. I would rather have at least some practical use opinion if possible. I, like you think the round is capable at far greater distances with the right firearm behind it but the little short barreled guide gun is not that rifle. I know there are alot of guide guns out there so someone must have been in my situation at some point.
    thanks
    RC

I've had great performance from the basic Remington 405 SP at impact velocities up to around 1600 fps. My pick for optimum hunting performance is the 350 Nosler. It holds up well on the far side of 2000 fps (from my 458 Winnie and 450 Alaskans, BTW), but still shows expansion down to at least 1100 fps or so.

405gr kodiak bonded, starline brass, and h322 is a great combination. Extremely accurate, and hits like a frieght train. I loaded it to 1925fps out of my stainless guide gun. Sighted 3" high at 100 yards, dead at 150 and only 9" low at 200 yards. Very doable on big game. I would use the same load with the 405gr remington JSP for practice they shot to the same POI as the kodiaks in my gun. It was pretty much all I shot in my guide gun. Shot close to 1300 rounds out of my guide gun without any decreas in accuracy adn was still nice and tight.

Default this is the issue

BB---78, at this point I dont have reloading capabilities--------who loads like the ones mentioned?---

RC

If you don't reload the best your going to do is buffalo bore, grizzly ammo, and Garret. You really should look into reloading, you can load the shells for 1/3 or less than buying factory ammo.

Default Buffalo Bore

I've used the 350 grain Buffalo bore on moose the past few years - have taken 2 with them. One was a broadside at 25 feet - bullet went in right behind the shoulder blade and stopped under the skin on the other side. The lead had come loose from the jacket, but had not separated. I was able to take it apart when I removed it while skinning. Kinda disapointed that it didn't go all the way through, but it was a one shot stop.
    Second bull was a 58 incher this year at 125ish yards. Neck shot dropped the bull with barely a flinch. The rear kinda shuddred and it just fell over dead. That bullet went all the way through...
    My Marlin (guide gun, with the ports) shoots that load as tight as I can hold the weapon - generally about an inch at 100 yards - and I think it would make a good choice on moose out to 200 yards or so. Probably longer, but where I hunt on the Nushagak, there just aren't all that many spots for a longer shot.