Thread: New to Kenai

Default New to Kenai

Hello everyone. I'm new to the area. I just moved here (Kenai) from Michigan. I was hopeing to get some late Steelhead or Rainbow fishing. Can anyone give me a little help on where to go. I haven't bought a boat yet so I'll be in my waders. Thanks Guys.

Well you came to the right place. Im pretty sure the rainbows on the kenai are slowing down but steelhead fishing could still be good on the anchor and deep creek. Im unsure of the regs so Im hoping the folks on here will help you out. Good luck and you will enjoy the rainbow fishing on the kenai. It is just amazing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I didn't know folks from Michigan could type? lol, just joshing you (go buckeyes).
    The kenai is pretty low so your waders will be fine. Some spots I like are
    Jim's landing on skilak lake road right off the hwy.
    From the Russian river down.
    Quartz Creek above Kenai lake.

Anchor River between Kenai and Homer is simply awesome and fun. That is where i hear most of the steelhead are caught. (b4 akpm says it.........illegal to take them out of the water, and must be carefully released.)

Hopefully someone will chime in on what beads to use, or a flesh fly or what. I just pick something and flail around when it comes to rainbows. There are some super knowledgable fishers on here so good luck.

Default You Must Move Back

Ok That was bad. I hope you enjoy your stay in Alaska. I think you will find you just left a better Steelhead Fishery in Michigan to be honest. Average Size and total amount of fishing waters bar none Michiagan verse the Kenai area.

I am sure others will chime in. Depending on your regulated water you will shoud find fishing in the Kasilof, Deep Creek, Anchor River and a couple of more along the road system.

As posted earlier little late in the game for Bow fishing.

During the next 12 months check out Crooked Creek, and the Swanson River for a little extra fun.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

BMR

You can catch nice rainbows and dollies on the Kenai all winter long. Stay close to the lakes and you'll have your best chance. Flesh, sculpins, and beads all will work. Remember that it's winter conditions and catching a couple of fish is a good day. Silvers are in the river all the way till April, so if you can find them you'll also find some trout in the same areas.

Good luck

Where in Michigan were you from? Is this a temp. move?

Starting to think this should be the "Outdoors men from Michigan who moved to Alaska for real mountains and a job" outdoors site. 37 yooper members at last count! Holy-wa better get some more beers and fire up dat sauna!

Moose
    Steel heading in Michigan ain't what it was years ago from what the folks have been saying. The Au sable and manistee are hurting bad too, the shop I used to guide for is in chapter 11 because folks aren't willing to do the drive north for what has been substandard fishing. Either that or they miss my sparkling personality.

Rainbow fishing isn't hot and heavy but it's not slow either. The last day I fished open water on the Kenai last year was December 17th and we caught a few 'bows and dollies. If you don't have a boat, you should check out either Kenai River Trail or Hidden Creek Trail which take you into the canyon and the mouth where the upper Kenai dumps into Skilak. There are some decent holes there and some people are still fishing it. I've still been fishing the middle (Skilak to Bing's) and we've been having success with fish counts in the double digits between me and my buddy. Last weekend was the first in about a month where we didn't land at least a 25" 'bow. Last week the bead bite was good but I prefer swinging a big flesh fly this time of year as the 'bows hammer it.

If you hike either of those trails, pack a hand cannon or pepper spray as a lot of bears reside in that area.

I haven't heard of anybody fishing the Anchor of late. I did go down there the first week of October on a Wednesday and it was an absolute zoo below the bridge. Caught some steelies on Deep Creek the second week of October but with the rain it sounds like the water levels have come up quite a bit down there. Best of luck to ya.

Default yes and No! Yikes

Moose
    Steel heading in Michigan ain't what it was years ago from what the folks have been saying. The Au sable and manistee are hurting bad too, the shop I used to guide for is in chapter 11 because folks aren't willing to do the drive north for what has been substandard fishing. Either that or they miss my sparkling personality.

Funny you should mention those two rivers which of course are the two most popular fishing streams in the state and oh Yes I hear ya! Not as good as they use to be, over fished and better standard Trout Streams now that the Salmon runs are not as thick as they were back in the day. Tons of other ops in those little places to include locations in the flat thumb that still produce ample fishing for farmers :-)

Tight Lines Brother!

steelie fishing isn't the hilight of this peninsula, but can be decent if you hit it just right. michigan is certainly a better place for them; when i lived in oregon i fished steelhead all winter because it's such a tough fishery around here and like many other places, it's all about timing.
    You just missed the best bow fishing on the kenai, but there's still some to be had if you get out during the warmest hours of the day. fishing slows down from now until june when the season re-opens. however, even with cold water temps you can expect to hook into a couple fish any day of the winter that you can find open water and stand the bitter cold - you just gotta work a little harder than usual. washed out beads and ginger or white flesh are the ticket until the alevin emerge in the early spring. good luck and let us know how you do.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper916 View Post
    Where in Michigan were you from? Is this a temp. move?
    We lived in Eastpointe, a suburb of Detroit. This is a permanent move. We decided to move to Alaska because it was the state farthest from Detroit (LOL)
    We were tired of the fast pace of a big city, 2 hour grid lock traffic, over 400 murders a year, gangbangers.... and so on. Just tired and looking for great fishing, hunting, and some rest

Default Michigan Steelhead

I fished the Big and Little Manistee in the early and late fall, When the really cold weather set in I would spend more time on the Piers at Manistee, Frankfort, and Ludington. My brother in law called me yesterday, he said himself and two other guys fished Frankfort Pier Saturday, they landed 23 Steelhead and lost just as many. There is a lot of Steelhead to be caught on the Lake Michigan side of the state. The problem with the Charter business is that the Fishery in Lake Huron crashed. All of the Silver fish in the lake are gone. The Charters that stayed in business moved to Lake Michigan side. On that side of the state it is over run with Charters. I have dozens of friends who are Charter Captains over there, they say it is just a hobby now ,not a business anymore.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping this would be a helpful board and it looks like it is.

How about Ice Fishing? Good, Bad? Any of you guys in to it?

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by markbevans View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was hoping this would be a helpful board and it looks like it is.

How about Ice Fishing? Good, Bad? Any of you guys in to it?
    I live in Soldotna and go out nearly every weekend when the water gets hard. P.M. me when it gets cold. Trustworthy Hardware has a tournament too http://www.soldotnahardware.com/content.asp?CAT_ID=20.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I live in Soldotna and go out nearly every weekend when the water gets hard. P.M. me when it gets cold. Trustworthy Hardware has a tournament too http://www.soldotnahardware.com/content.asp?CAT_ID=20.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I love hard water fishing. I'm not sure the gear I have will work. I brought my Quad, Ice hut, heater ect.. but the rods and reels I have may be to light. In Michigan the target was Pan fish, Perch, Crappie, and Walleye. We used small rods and reels with 3 to 6lb. test line. Where do you find Ice Gear around here. I haven't seen much.

Default Sources

Quote Originally Posted by markbevans View Post
    Thanks Steve. I love hard water fishing. I'm not sure the gear I have will work. I brought my Quad, Ice hut, heater ect.. but the rods and reels I have may be to light. In Michigan the target was Pan fish, Perch, Crappie, and Walleye. We used small rods and reels with 3 to 6lb. test line. Where do you find Ice Gear around here. I haven't seen much.
    Trustworthy usually carries lots. I noticed today that Fred Meyers does. Sports Authority, Wallmart... just about any box store in Anchorage with a sporting goods section.

I collect stuff through the year a garage sales, such as dippers, rods, lures, etc. I invested long ago in a power auger, and recently in a folding shanty, as well as a propane heater for those really cold days.

Sounds like your gear will be just right. Lake fish around here rarely get over 20'', though there are a few alrger ones to be had.