Thread: sheep in the wrangells

Default sheep in the wrangells

I have never hunted sheep before, but the prospect interests me greatly. I did not draw and permits, but I see that there is a harvest in 11 and 12.
    Is it worth a try? Can i get to good places in my truck then on foot? Id like to leave the wheeler at home and I definitly wont fly. Any information is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Default Sheep locations

Almost all sheep hunting locations will be secret, most sheep hunters wont even tell there wifes, especially one like your asking for. Good luck.

Terry

I guess thats all I need to hear. Thank you, this should be fun.

338 - I've never hunted the Wrangells, so I can't offer any specific advice there, but I will tell you that walk-in sheep hunting is possible. It is also, however, very difficult and certainly an area for those willing to work and walk/climb their butts off. I've taken all of my sheep on walk-in hunts, and while my success rate is probably lower than those who charter airplanes, I love the challenge and success is perhaps even sweeter when you work for it. I would suggest that you look at your first few sheep hunts as scouting trips, though of course you never know. It'll take some time to learn the various areas and what to reasonably expect. Actually, what you should really do is spend the better part of the summer hiking into these areas as far as you can. Look for accessibility, sheep numbers, etc. It's doable, but walk-in sheep is certainly not a "guaranteed" hunt. But, in a way, that's what makes it so great!

-Brian

Default Read up on it

B_M is right.

Track down a copies of Sheep Hunting in Alaska and Stalking Dall Sheep. Both books are written by Tony Russ and available through this forum as well as other online places. These books are considered by many as the Sheep Hunter's bible...

Secondly, start researching the regs... Find areas that have open Harvest seasons.

Third, scout... From home using maps, online sat photos and get out for a weekend of scouting... Weekend trips are invaluable. Take a drive, a hike or better yet go fly an area...

Fourth, never miss an opportunity to learn... In person, online, DVD's, books, articles...

If and when you narrow down your search, talk with the area biologist, read the surveys and any other research data...

Finally, make a plan, physically prepare, spend time, money, blood, sweat and tears... And then go for it...

or pay $10-15K to a guide and go kill a ram.

thats exactly what I want, work work work, and finally a reward.maybe this year, maybe in five years. thanks for the advice. I thought about just scouting out places that interersted me, but the idea seemed impractical, sort of shot in the dark. but if that is what it takes, im more than willing.