Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow report

Red face Report fron Northwest Alaska

Man are we having a goofey year! We have been frozen for a while up here and we have had great snow and rain and no snow and now we are back in the snow. I went out into Noatak National Park a few days ago to do a search and rescue of a buddy who did not make it back from a moose hunt. The snow was sketchy and the tundra was back breaking. The poor friend dropped 2 machines through a creek about 30 miles out of town in belly deep water and spent the night in a snow bank. Lucky he had all the gear needed to make it through the night but the sno-go spent 4 days frozen up to the windshield with a sling-sled hooked to the back. That’s why god made an ax! I will attach some pics soon. Crazy weather up here. Keep your tails dry!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

anybody know if lost lake near seward is open to riding yet? thanks

Default Lost lake

Theres nothin for snow down here in Seward so Lost lake is still a no go

Thumbs up Eureka Lodge Snow Conditions

We were at Eureka on Saturday December 15 and the trails are in fair condition. Not much snow if you get off of the trails. The southside of the highway has the best riding with snow depth at about 24 inches. The North side is at about 12 to 18 inches off of the trail. Monument Hill has about 24 inches.

Very few tracks in the snow, we saw only four other riders

Cheers

Another good link with weather conditions througout the day, looks like its updated often.

Along with road closure/update link before you drive hundreds of miles to get turned around...(DOT highway cams...Looks like its down
    now, but here's the link.) For those of you around Anchorage, you can zoom in to see road work and such also...

Default Petersville

Snow in lower meadows and upper country was nice. The trail was so very bumpy that most people stayed below. 26 Degrees. It's 20 miles of BUMPY to upper country. Then you have to come back in the dark.
    Riverlover
    Last edited by Riverlover; 12-24-2007 at 07:05. Reason: add info

Turnagain Pass, Dec 24.
    Several inches of new snow falling, lousy visibility (around 1/4 mile) and flat light. Powder over last week's bumps. Some, but not all, creeks drifting in.

I've been there twice this season. Visibility is the primary limiting factor to getting much speed up, and you often feel rather than see the bumps and dips.

Default Lost Lake

Lost Lake is open now.

I just got back from north of Petersville Road, around mile marker 127 on the Parks. Snow cover was good on the trails, and it was snowing when I left. The lakes (Denali and Swan), however, had a fair amount of overflow covered sparsely by windblown snow. The overflow was crossable, but the wet snow really stuck to things and bogged you down as you passed through it.

Default Seward

3 inches of snow last night in Seward.

wow Petersville was packed..........i barely found parking!!!!........hope to go again this weekend

Talking Lost Lake

Seward area has gotten slammed with snow in the last 48hrs. bout 2 feet fresh powder at sea level

Default Placer

Rode Placer today, very good powder (2+ft) but the light was very bad (flat). There is still a lot of open water so you have to carefull. We rode back to the lake with powder over the hood most of the way!

Default Yentna Rv.

01-13-07
    Left Willow @ 10* headed to Yentna Rv. and Luce’s (for lunch) and over to Alexander lake. The trail was very good about 85 miles. Stayed on the trail we tried to break a trail over to Rolly ck. outlet and were stopped by 100 yards (wide) of open water.
    Arrived back at the truck around 6pm and we were surprised to find out it was -12* because we were warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    01-13-07
    Left Willow @ 10* headed to Yentna Rv. and Luce’s (for lunch) and over to Alexander lake. The trail was very good about 85 miles. Stayed on the trail we tried to break a trail over to Rolly ck. outlet and were stopped by 100 yards (wide) of open water.
    Arrived back at the truck around 6pm and we were surprised to find out it was -12* because we were warm.
    How much new snow fell this week at the Yentna mouth? More/less/same at Alexander Lake?

Thanks

There was 6” of new snow on the trail. There was about 4” of new snow around Alexander lake.

Rode Placer yesterday (1/13). First ride of the season and first ever ride at Placer. There's a few wet spots on the river and the trail is whooped out a bit in spots but there is still acres of deeep powder to play in. Hooked up with some total strangers (ain't AK great?) who let me tag along to Skookum Glacier and the ice cave. What an awesome sight!!

Powder over the hood makes the riding good!!

Default Powder Wooooohhooooo

Nancy Lake rec area opened today, over a foot of very very powdery powder. Great blizzard we're having! I don't know how far north its gotten, but I know Nancy Lake, Willow and Baldy are getting dumped on 1/15/08

We got a bunch of snow in valdez over the past couple of days. It was up to my wast in places of frsh snow on the trail and over my shoulders in places off. Kinda sucks to get burried in but i am getting good at getting unstuck and keeping it that way. There should be a lot of snow up on the pass.

Default 6"

We got about 6 inches of fresh stuff here in Fairbanks last night... finally!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast