Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow report

Just go back from the hatchers pass area took off from a trailhead near the Palmer fishook gas station. There was probably 8 to 9 inches of snow but the trails were packed nicely. Some folks have been out building bridges to get you across the creeks. The bridges are very nice but could use reflectors for night riding (I plan on taking some out next time I go). The swamps were mostly frozen (just a tiny bit of slush in a few areas) and will become more open with each snow fall. No powder for boondocking but a great trail ride. We took the kids out in a jet sled behind the wifes couger and they loved it. It looks like the trail is passable up to buffalo mine area since we saw some headlights up on the mountain (anyone know how much snow is up on the mountain?). All in all a good place to take a sled local for a shake down run or a day out dragging the kids around. We had so much fun my three year old was exhausted, he kept falling asleep sitting in front of the wife. Once he nodded off and fell forward on the kill switch pretty cute to see him like that cause he still wanted to keep riding.

Default Eureka

I called the lodge 11-20 and they said they had 12" at the lodge and 18-24" in the hills and the "little" groomer has been on the trails.

Tim

Default Cantwell

has anyone been down to the Igloo? If any one has how is the snow down there. I am heading down there on Saturday
    Keep Moving Forward!!

National Weather Service Alaska measured snow depth map. The information on this site seems to be up to date and you can zoom in on regions and click individual NWS sites and see when snow depth plots were created and when these depths were measured, etc.

spike28a-dont know about igloo specifically but talkeetna has less than 10 and cantwell has a little less than 8 according to the site compounding with low 40's weather, so its lookin grim everywhere right now...

Default graph

According to the graph, Turnagain dropped 20" on the 23rd but it has gained 24" sense then and its up to 72" !

Default Igloo

My brother was there last weekend and said the riding was very good. 4' of snow once you got back in a ways.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Default snow condition willow hatcherpass

just seeing if anyone first hard, know hatcherpass snow. or peterville i know it got warm. two weeks ago really good at peterville.

Talked to a buddy who lives up hatchers and he said today that the willow side was rideable...i've heard conflicting reports on petersville though.

Default update on snow anyone peterville

snow report.

Default TP

Had some work to do down south this week. Thompson Pass had about 4 maybe 5 feet on the road. If anyone is looking for the white stuff.

I went to Safari Lake off the Petersville Road yesterday to help a friend pick up a 6 wheeler. There seems to be a solid ground cover everywhere we went, 20F temp range, lots of frozen overflow everywhere. I am glad I had carbide runners and a studded track. Some cracks with running water in low spots. Signs everywhere of folks riding when it was to warm and they got into wet stuff (all frozen now). The 6 wheeler ran at about 30+MPH all the way out, towing a snowmobile, and it has tracks. Nothing to stop it (conditions wise). I think I will wait until there is some *snow* before I go out there again
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Snow Reports

Looking for a Eureka snow report and a Parks Hwy. snow report around 20-30 miles north of the Petersville turn-off. Thanks

Default snowing at Hatcher Pass

Just got back from sled riding at the Fishhook parking lot. There was 3-4 inches of fresh snow and snowing like crazy. Be real nice to get to that 30 inch mark before too long to do some motorized sledding.

Sounds like Eureka is still pretty low on snow depth. Looks like most of the snow right now is falling South West of Petersville, sort of west of Willow. The report from Hatchers sounds promising.

Also, noticed that the Eastern part of the Kenai peninsula is getting hammered with snow. The radar and Snotels show it is falling hard.

Thumbs down the paturnagain pass

stayed the night up at the pass on sat. woke up sunday to lite powder and a whole shi t load of people . will post pics soon. lots of hard packed trails.
    SlEdHeAd

Default summit, cantwell any snow?

Anbody been riding in the summit lake or cantwell areas? I was thinking of heading down this weekend but have been hearing there's not much snow.

I rode petersville today on the way home from fairbanks and there was atleast 3 feet so it was good compaired to about a foot and a half when i drove up a week and a half ago. It looked ridable all the way up to the igloo but i dont know exactly how much was up there.

Default Cantwell Area

Currently Cantwell is still pretty lean up there. Spent two days up in that area. One in Cantwell and rode some local trails as the Denali Hwy only had a skiff on it. Summit Lake to Igloo had a bunch more snow. Hopefully this current storm in the valley here will bring some snow to the Cantwell region.

gate creek cabin's reported 18in. of new pow this last weekend on top of 10-12in. base kenny creek recieved 2ft. on top of 18-24in. base and they are saying further west and north recieved 3-4ft. of fresh pow this past weekend buddy went out Sat. and said it was sick as hell 2-3ft. of fresh pow pow

Thumbs up Petersville

Came back last night from Petersville. Real good snow. The trail up was rough. Went with three other Forum members. Two turned around before Petersville. Mike has a Rev, I got 2001, 700 RMK. When we got all the way up Mike did good, I got stuck twice in deep powder. We also found a REv 151" pretty well buried with his red strobe flashing. Lower meadows were awesome. Snowing when we left.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast