Thread: Murphy

Default Murphy

Have you written any books yet?

I've kinda been what you might call a tad bit layed up for the last 6 months or so! You know the story......Dr.'s and knives etc.

Durying my absence I have rememorized all of my reloading manuals. I have read clear through the Bible once and have read "Hell I was there" by EK three times.

I am now fully retired and am in the process of building a new gun room in the shop and have also been back out to the shooting range quite often. However I have had to slow down quite a bit thus I have much more time to read.

The vast knowledge in the realm of shooting is so evident on this forum that I thought it might be a good place to get some advice concerning "favorite" books related to what this forum is about!

So Murphy or the anyone else.....lets hear it! Thanks in advance!

*Load em with the pointy end up!

Sounds like you need a little balance in your life.... How about reading three times through "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack Oconnor? ;-)

Welcome back!

Default Pet Loads

I know they are supposed to be for reloading info, but Ken Waters 2 volume Pet Loads are great reading too.

Arco, Idaho

Default Since retirin'...

I keep Brownell's, Midway, Cabela's, and Bass Pro Shop catalogs by the Thunder Mug. When younger, it was the Sears catalog, but, I was younger, and the pages I looked at then were quite a bit different.....almost as good as National Geographic, now I look at tools and stuff.

Thumbs up reading

Victoriaís Secret is a pretty good book this days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I know they are supposed to be for reloading info, but Ken Waters 2 volume Pet Loads are great reading too.
    Yea, through the bible, Jack's book, African rifles and at least 4 times through Ken Waters's 2 volumes and at least once through Roy's stuff, that might be all some can stand.

Southern Tier, New York

Thumbs up

[quote=elmerkeithclone] Have you written any books yet?

Murphy, I have had this question in my head as well. If you hav'nt, it would be grand if you did. I think Outdoor Life or Field & Stream would do well to have you. Straight up, no bull****, no sucking up to the manufactures. Its been a breath of fresh air to read you here.

I've not been around much in a couple months but it seems to me that Murphy was talking about being busy writing a book or something to that effect. I could be wrong but I don't see him around here much lately and he hasn't left much for 'tracks' either! Shore do miss the yung feller.

Oh, EKC,
    it isn't so much about rifles as it is about hunting Africa but if you haven't yet read it, Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark is a must read if you're laid up or it's 40 below! Anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick too. Of course O'Conner and Keith are great. My all-time favorite book on rifles is called The Hunter's Rifle by Clay Harvey. It was first published in '88 I think, which is about when I got it from NAHC in their book club.

It's a little dated aweful lot of cartridges have come out since then but for what was available at the time, he covered 'em all pretty well. His writing style and humor are second only to Capstick, in my opinion! Very entertaining read. You may have to look on Amazon or Ebay to find a copy, not sure if it's still in print or not.

Hope everything is going well with you, welcome back!

Default A simple case of killing the goose that lays the golden egg!

How soon we forget. Remember that are vary own Mr. Murphy was being ripped off from these vary threads and whom ever was published on other sites.

Murphy told us that , understandably was a major problem and would cause him to slow down with the wealth of information that he gave to us.

I believe no better example of what some can do to wreck a great source of help to the general shooting public, than what has happened to Murphy.

Yes, indeed it has been a loss to all of us.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Other Books are good too.

Dear Folks,

Now is a good time to read books. Some of my favorite books to re and reread are:
    Big Game Rifles and Cartridges by Elmer Keith, 1984, Safari Press
    Alaskan Hunter by Roy Chandler, Bacon and Freeman Publishers, 1974
    Chandler has a new book out called Alaska Hunting and it probably is pretty
    good. Chandler was a hunter with bush sensibilities and did alot of his own gunsmithing. It is pretty good reading. He also talked a lot about solo hunting and the mental stuff connected to it.

Big Game load and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter by Bob Hagel

The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting by Wayne Van Zwoll is a very good recent book that I would advise as a good purchase.

Rifles and Cartridges for Big Game by Layne Simpson.

Finally get all of the Cooper's Corner article and reprint them and put them in a three ring binder. Its great stuff to unwind to and Cooper is an underappreciated sage. Its too bad that he's gone on to the happy hunting grounds.

African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor is another good book to read.

American Rifle by Craig Boddington is also a good book.

The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy by Glenn Newick is good.

Precision Shooting is a good magazine to subscribe to. God bless the subscriber who graciously leaves them in great condition at the recycling station at Farmer's Loop East. This is because I am a PRT.

Finally I would advise you to support Anchorage Alaska writer Michael Petrov with Custom Gunmaker's of the 20th Century.

PS. You really want to get into a field that can truly mess you up for life. Start learning about samurai swords. The market has recently declined as young Japanese are into cars and not swords. The prices are lower than they have been for 20 years. I can tell you that I have never had a gun enthusiast who has not gone nuts over 650 year old japanese samurai swords. There is something about them that clicks with us.
    The Conniosseur's guide to Japanese Swords by Kokan Nagayama
    The Japanese Sword by Kazan Sato

I bet that you get into this that you will find tons to study.

35,000 smiths and 1100 years of history.

Default Big Al

Thats exactly why Murphy should write some books!

All of that know how rolling around amongst Murphy's brain waves is the fruit of his labor. That info didn't just fall into his brain, He put in the hours required to gain all that wisdom. To be quite honest, I don't have the time, resources or the intellect required to put myself on Murphy's level. Therefore I would be more than willing to pay good money to see some of his knowledge in book form.

Murphy did share a lot of good stuff on this forum and we are all better riflemen because of it. However some horses ***** chooses to take the low road and ruins it for all of us. Kind of a poachers mentality if you ask me!

No argument from me about the Murphy writing books! I hope that's where he has been with his time. I also know that when a Man is ripped off like Murphy has been, I have to take what he wrote to us as why he would not be as forthcoming with as much in the future.

Of course there is another side to all of this, it takes a huge amount of time for anyone to get into the kind of detail that Murphy has so generously done in the past.

Maybe I'm way off base here in writing this, but I feel Murphy reads these posts and would just love to jump in and set us all straight. Does he want to be burnt again, I doubt it!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson