Thread: Seeking Advice on Searunner purchase

Default Seeking Advice on Searunner purchase

I am about to buy a Hewes 22' Hardtop Searunner from Deweys. The "retail" at Deweys is $50,995. Their listed "package" price is $42,995. The end of season deal they're offering is $6400 off. That brings it down to $36,595. An F-150 Yamaha is $3000 more. (It comes with an F-115.)

Is this a good deal? Or should I wait until the spring 2007 boat show?
    Also, I'm eager for your advice about having an 115hp Yamaha versus a 150hp on this rig.

Any other advice would be MUCH appreciated as this will be my first power boat in Alaska.
    Best,
    Bart
    Eagle River

It is a good deal if you like the offer. I would absolutely forget the 115 and go with the 150. If the boat would accept a bigger motor I would go as big as I could.
    No one who ever bought a boat wished they had bought a smaller motor. Boat show prices are usually the highest prices of the year. From watching and listening to Deweys advertise this summer there sales must be down. I would offer them a lot less than they are quoting you and walk away for a few days if they say no to your offer

Default Power

Bart,

Based on the number of boats Dewey's sells, I doubt they'll deal, but it certainly can't hurt to try! Even if they don't lower their price, if you do buy from them I think you'll be very happy, especially with after-purchase treatment and service.

As for the motor, I definitely concur with Snowwolfe - GO FOR THE BIGGER MOTOR! I had a 115 on a 20' Harbercraft, always wished I went for a bigger 4-stroke. This year, I repowered my 2004 26' AK Searunner (bought at Dewey's) from 115s to 150s. Wish I had done it originally. Very happy with the level of power now; the 115s were adequate, the 150s are great. Boat is rated to a total of 450, but the opportunities to use that much power are not worth the money. In your situation, you will be much happier with a 150 on that boat, especially for long runs!

Good luck, and brag about it when you get it!

Mort

Default Advice

Thank you both for your advice and experience!!
    I'll let you know how it goes...

go bigger if you can afford it. I have twin 115 they are nice but I relized I need to go bigger when I had a to run one engine back to the dock. I could not get on plane. Next year I will go with twin 130 or 150's.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Yammy 150

Thanks Gary.

I will definately go with the 150. My concern was that I'd like to save a little fuel with the 115, but since the advice is unanimous to go with the 150, the answer seems obvious now. Thanks again. I'll post how things go....

Thumbs up Good Deal.

I have the 22 SR HT ET with the 150 Yamaha. It is an excellent package and that sounds like a very good deal. You should definately spend the money to get the 150. You really don't need any larger than the 150 but the 115 would be a little underpowered when you load up the boat.

My boat will run 39-41 mph wide open and I cruise about 31-32 mph most of the time on flatter water. It doesn't really seem to matter how heavy I run with the 150 it seems to push the boat along at the same speed and same fuel burn.

You will be happy with the boat. This is the time of year to buy if they have any left over inventory.

The family has a 22' SR with a 115 4 stroke and it does just fine. 4 adults and all the gear it cruses at 28-30 mph at 4800 rpm with no problem at all. Run to pony cove and troll for 4 hours with a 9.9 4 stoke on 12 gl of gas. what more can you ask for?

Default Motor size

I think you will be really happy with the boat but I would go with the 150. I have a welded aluminum boat about 22' that I changed from a 115 two stroke to a 150 four stroke. It now cruises at what use to be wide open throttle and it not only runs better it gets better fuel economy now.

Talking I did it

I went down to Dewey's today and got them to put together a 22' Hewescraft hard top for me. I asked for an 8hp high thrust kicker, and, (based on the advice of you guys on this forum), I also upgraded the 115hp Yamaha to a 150hp Yamaha. I'll pick it up in a few days.

Thanks a ton for all of the advice. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of the information and opinions I've found here on this forum. You guys are great. Beer's on me.

Best,
    Bart

PS- I'll post a photo when I bring her home.
    PSS- Now, which forum can put me on some silvers out of Whittier...?

Thumbs up Price

By the way, I bought it for the price mentioned in my first posting. I made a lower offer (on Snowwolfe's advice) and I got nowhere. (In fact, he looked like he was getting pretty doggone mad at me!) It was definitely worth a try, though. No harm, no foul. Very happy with the finances of the deal.

Default Hewes with 115 hp

So if everyone likes the 150 over the 115, how do you feel about TWIN 115`s on a 26` Hewes?

You will like the boat. But why the 8 hp HT instead of the 10?

Congrats you will love the boat. I run at 59rpm (WOT) around 35 mph
    and with 6 adults on board at 59rpm (WOT) 32-33mph
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Do you know if Dewey's will take in trade in on engines?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Kicker

Dan Gibeau at Dewey's said the 8hp high thrust kicker would be more than enough primarily as a troller, and emergency motor. I hear and read that the new high thrust models, with the way they are geared, and with their huge props, produce quite a bit of push. I think it is too late to ask Dan to put the 9.9 hp on anyway, so please don't tell me if I've made a huge mistake!!! LOL.

I'm afraid I don't know if Dan/Dewey's will deal with trade in motors. You can call him at 344-5092 and bounce it off of him. He's abrupt, but good to deal with otherwise.

The 8 hp HT is fine. I have the 10. The 10 lacks power tilt which makes it cheaper to purchase.

One last suggestion, I would add together the weight of your boat, batteries, kicker,fuel, etc, plus give yourself a few hundred pounds of gear and make sure Deweys puts the boat on a trailer capable of holding it all.
    Last time I bought a package deal from him I learned the hard way.

Default Proper trailer

Snowwolfe,

My invoice shows an EZ Loader TR 1924 - 4300, which means it is rated for 4300 lbs. The weight breakdown should be something like this:

Boat: 2100
    Kicker: 102
    Main outboard: 466
    Battery: 40
    Fuel: 680 (85 gallon x 8 lbs per gallon)
    Gear: 200
    Total: 3588

Sounds like the 4300# model should do, right?

Yes, you should be fine. Just confirm that it will carry 4,300 pounds. Some time manufactors will quote the gross weight a trailer can carry which will include the weight of the trailer.
    You will most likely add another battery and the anchor, chain, and rope will add another 100. Don't forget the weight of the spare also.
    But if the trailer will actually carry 4,300 pounds you will be in good shape.

Default 115s and Dewey's Trades

Dipnet,

I think the 115s are just adequate for the 26 (I actually saw a 26 with 100s this weekend). But I wanted more power for good water, so I went to 150s this year (after 2 seasons with the 115s). I get much better top end, and when I am limited by sea state, I don't think my fuel economy has decreased. I'm very happy with my upgrade to 150s. BTW, went with stainless 17s vs aluminum 19s - better top end, better gas mileage, less cavitation. Although I fantasized, I doubt I could justify (for the money) going to 200s or 225s.

Gray,

Dewey's does not take engine trades. They are happy to let you post a flyer, and I sold one of my 115s that way. Could have sold both, but one was already sold. They were very helpful as to advice regarding my selling the used 115s.

Mort