Thread: public access

Default public access

what exactly are the stipulations for target shooting on public land....where/where not allowed. ...how far away you have to be from houses and what not....i'm having a hard time finding this information...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Im not sure of the specifics. Generally there are signs posted at the problem areas where shooting is not allowed. Any where else Im sure you wouldnt be breaking the law.

Why not just go to birchwood? Or there is another new range out at montana creek. Or go to rabbit creek shooting range. You would use the same amount of gas going to one of those places. Plus, you wouldnt have to pack targrets in, your guns, ammo. And packing them out. Also you get a nice bench. Rabbit creek even has heated benches.

I like to recreate in the jim creek, knik area. I hate dodging bullets, tripping over shot up trash and having to use steel shot while I hunt upland game cause the land is so poluted from years of abuse. Yes Thats right it is required to use steel shot no matter what on the inlet side of knik river. There was so much lead in the water there they about closed it off completly.

If it was up to me, Id ban target shooting on public recreation land. Its a hazard and looks like crap.

I was looking at some spring clean up photos at jim creek posted by an Atv club. They showed a before and after. Well when I went out there this fall everything they cleaned up looked just the way it did in the spring before the cleanup.

Not Saying you personally are responsible, just the other 99 percent of public land target shooters.

Default i hate those people too

it does suck that there are people who trash places....what they did to the plamer hay flats off of fairview loop was disgusting..i hate dodging bullets too...thats why i am trying to find out if there were places that were more setup for it ,,, safer and cleaner
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

As far as I know, all of the un-official shooting spots around the anchorage area have been closed down. Knik river access and another down by Girdwood were convienienty located for a quick sight in session, or for bringing a bullet catcher box to test terminal perfomance, but both of those places have been shut down due to the huge amount of trash left behind. your only options now are the bonifide ranges (that happen to be closed on my days off) or to do what I do and cart all your shooting crap as far out in the boonies as you can, hammer a few rounds into the old bullet catcher, pack up all your stuff leaving no trace, and haul ass out before you get caught The only thing I hate worse than sneeking around and doing someting that I am not supposed to do, is not having the option of doing things the "right way". I always here how its the "other guys" that messed the place up and made it imposible for guys like you to use it..........Well I am pretty darn tired of paying the price for the "other guy". I never leave any garbage or even trace of my presence for that matter, and always make shure i have a good back stop and am well away from cabins, homes etc. but you simply cannot do much about that big boom when you pull the trigger, and if i shoot more than a few rounds someone is going to come find out what is going on.

Go to the range if you can.........Faster, more convienient, and best of all........legal!

Default The kids lose out

I could do all my shooting at the range easily. But I'm going to be introducing my 10 yr old grandson to shooting this year and it would be nice to be able to go to a nice quiet place where you can talk between shots. He has to learn the rules of a range of course but I would rather start off just teaching him to shoot first. He, and a lot of other kids I'm sure, are losing because a few jerks insist on ruining places.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

If you're conscientious about getting away from houses and other users of public lands, then find safe backstops and clean up after yourself, there should be no problem with shooting on lands that are also legal to hunt. Especially for youth and new shooters of any age, I think it's important to do this in addition to spending time at a formal range in order to create opportunities to practice field carry and safety in a "hunting" setting.

I doubt I shoot as many as one round on the range for every thousand I shoot on public lands, but I exercize as much caution and common sense as on a hunting trip. No reason you can't do the same, provided you recognize the same stipulations.

And since it's "that" time of year, here's my favorite solution for reactive targets with no cleanup:

Make up a bunch of ice cubes beforehand, bag them and stick them in an ice chest. They're ideal size for 22 offhand plinking targets, and they're real showy when you connect. For larger targets and longer ranges, I fill 16-ounce disposable plastic dring glasses with water and freeze them, then pop the ice chunks from the cups and put them in an ice chest for the trip. You gotta see what one of those does when you hit it with a highpower rifle!!!!!! No better offhand training tool than a reactive target, especially one with no cleanup. Beats the stuffings our of bottles and cans.

Cool idea Brown bear, The ice cup one would be pretty spectacular I bet

Default I think you can.

I'm not aware of any state law that prohibits shooting on public land as a general thing.

Municipalities may differ.

Most munis have laws that ban shooting within a given distance of roads (and sometimes trails.) Some are 1/4 mile, some are 1/2 mile.

Littering is always illegal everywhere, so the cool no-cleanup targets are a great idea.

At the same time, safe backstops and great caution are also important because a general ability to shoot on public land doesn't prevent prosecution for reckless endangerment if you don't follow all good safety procedures.

Ranges sure are easier.

Mike Echo, you might try teaching the kid to shoot an airgun first. It's certainly more fun for a kid to learn how to shoot without having to cope with a .50 BMG on one side and a ported 30-378 on the other.

It wasn't until we had the basics -- and liked shooting -- that Dad took us to the range.