Thread: Petersville grouse and ptarmigan

Default Petersville grouse and ptarmigan

Any one have any luck getting grouse or ptarmi-pigeons while out snowmachining in p-ville? I picked up a .22 auto just for carrying while out sledding so hoping to be able to combine 2 of my favorite things!

I was up there last week and didn't see any. However every time I have been there previously I have seen several around the Little Peters Hills. Also ran into them across the river from the roadhouse. The best way I have found to find them is to ride into the alders and look for tracks. Then you know they will be around. Good luck!!!

I almost always carry my Buckmark in the windshield bag when I'm riding. Eureka is usually good for a few ptarmigan as well as Hatchers Pass. I haven't seen much up around Petersville.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Left the pistol at home. probably the right choice since I was so beat up from riding the trail to the foothills that I wasn't thinking much about hunting. I was more worried about getting stuck since I wasn't sure I had the energy to get the darn thing out. I am gonna have to invest in some handlebar risers for the machine cause I can't stand up on it stock. I did see probably 15 ptarmigan up there but LOTS of people and I hate to be that "guy shooting". I don't know much about ptarmigan but these were white with black tails. I could have probably motored over to the alders they were in and got some I will probably start taking the pistol from now on unless I am going hill climbing.

Default What are the snow conditions...

... up the Peters/Dutch Hills area? Can I get a four wheeler to the big canyon? I dont have a snowmachine yet, so I still have to use the ATV. Was wanting to get the dogs up there one more time before it was too late or is it too late already?

You could drive down the trail beyond the roadhouse and probably be more comfortable than me on my sled. There is 3-6 feet of snow and unless you could fashion snowshoes for your dogs they would get burried. There is no way you could get off the trail on the wheeler maybe on snowshoes but we covered 10-15 miles of hills to scare up the 15 or so birds we saw. There are alot of sleds up there so safely wing shooting would be a challenge. Might be a good spot to go with a pistol and a sled but there has to be a easier spot to get to, the trail is BRUTAL.

Ever though wheelers can go down the sled trail at times it tears the hell out of it and you will definately be frowned upon

The best snowmobile ptarmagain hunting I have done is behind the airport at Summit Pass south of Cantwell. Flocks of at lest 50 birds wasn't uncommon last year. In late march the snow usually is hard enough for dogs to travel. Two years ago my 8 year old could walk everywhere up there.

I am asking for a pair of snowshoes for Christmas this year and a GPS and a S&W M&P AR15, and a some sled parts... Wow then I still have to get presents for three kids and a wife (I wonder if she want a AR15...) This Christmas thing sure was alot better when I wasn't the one buying all the gifts.

Default thanks

Thanks for the update...guess I won't be headed up Petersville way for awhile. I kinda guessed it would be a no go. I don't want to wreck the trails with the 4 wheeler. Maybe I will get a snowmachine for Christmas...or snowshoes for dogs!
    I might need to find a friend with a machine or two that can take my dogs and I.