Thread: Do I Have To Skin It Right Away??

Default Do I Have To Skin It Right Away??

Never Harvested Any Furbearers...do I Have To Skin The Animal Right Away Or Can I Freeze It In A Paperbag And Come Back To It...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Easier to skin right away but I know some folks that put Beaver and other animals in a freezer. Lots of times by the time you pick them up and haul them back home they are rock hard anyways. I would not suggest leaving them in the freezer for a long time but I know folks that have for a couple of weeks.

Smile

the freezer is hell on lips and small feet, the sooner the better

I third sooner the better. FishOn is right, most of the time there rock hard from transport or being dead overnight from a snare. I played hell trying to skin out a fox a couple years ago, I actually had to thaw him out some. I have seen some of the tanning places thaw them out before skinning them just so its easier.

Default thanks...

i wouldnt want to waste any of that precious fur
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

There's no hurry in skinnig if you can't get to it.Personally I like to save up enough animals to keep me busy for a full day of skinning.I also like to skin in groups.I'll skin all my mink then ermine and then marten.Some of the bigger critters like lynx or fox I usually thaw out after catching and get them on the boards but in the past I have hung them up in the shed untill I can get to them.Always be sure to hang your animals if not in a freeezer as voles will find them in a hurry.

I am with Trialblazersteve on this one often the critteres are frozen solid on the line especially when using snares. THe big thing is do not try to thaw too fast when you do thaw them out and skinning when still mostly solid is a pain so let them thaw pretty much all the way. You can do the same after skinning if you don't have enough strechers or time to strech roll them up and put back in the freezer I prefer a palstic bag to a paper one
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it