Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Rod Shop

Default Custom Rod Shop

If this post gets deleted cool Just looking to see what kind of interest there might be in the Fairbanks area to open the doors for rod builders.

Looking for thoughts on opening a selection of rod building materials in Fairbanks.

and

If someone was just Dumb enough ;-) to do it what type of blanks and or materials would be potential builders like to see?

Would you expect rod repair?

Blue Moose

Default Risky

Moose,
    I applaud your idea, but wonder if there would be enough support in the FB area for a dedicated rod shop/store. I have considered it here in the Anchorage area, but overhead seems to be a killer. There are a lot of little parts to be carried for something like that to be sucessful. Individually they are nto expensive, but put them all together and it gets kind of spendy. If someone was going to turn their garage into the store that may work, as it cuts down on the overhead tremendously when you don't have to pay rent for your space.
    As far as product lines, I don't think you can go wrong with Rainshadow products. Blanks and Components are IMO best bang for the buck. Rainshadow staff are great to work with as well.
    If you do decide to try it let me know as I would stop in whenever I got the chance. I wish you all the luck in the world

There used to be a custom rod shop there years ago on Noble. It was called the House of Rods and the guy running it seemed to stay busy. Don't know whatever happened to it as I moved to the bush and discovered one day he was out of business. He was pretty old though so I'm guessing he retired.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    There used to be a custom rod shop there years ago on Noble. It was called the House of Rods and the guy running it seemed to stay busy. Don't know whatever happened to it as I moved to the bush and discovered one day he was out of business. He was pretty old though so I'm guessing he retired.
    Now thats a name I have not heard in a long time! I used to go in there with my dad every now and then and drool over his rods. Yes he did seem to stay busy and his rods looked top notch.

There is a market but it would take a couple of years to become established enough to make a living I would think. The idea of a very small shop or working out of your garage/ basement would be a good start.

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted if you decide to give it a go!

Rob

Default :-)

Actaully have the store front already.

I have access to Rainshadow, Loomis, Sage, St. Croix, and a couple of other Blanks as well as all Batson products.

Might just have to do it to see what will happen. Thanks for the input!

I am open to ideas so if someone has one feel free to pass it on.

:-)

thought you already tried this once Rich?

Default Yep I did

Thinking of doing it again now that I own the store front verses trying to operate out of someone elses establishment. One of the biggest problems in the past was dedicated space and time with in someone elses operations as well as cost sharing verses profit margins.

Would like to see if it could work on it's own without worrying about someone elses over-head.

Still have ample back stock of some darn good stuff and have been working with Baston as well has Hook & Hackle to estblish everything from A-Z concerning rod building. Jim did a good job of providing a place and space I think Fairbanks is missing out on such a service.

Figured it might be a great fit between the guiding, B & B, raft sales and rentals.

Might have to keep you busy in the Winter I know you miss commercial Tying.

I'd love to tie commercially again.......

Right after I finish this strip canoe

Build a couple pairs of snowshoes

Build some turkey calls as xmas presents

build two flintlock fowler 10 ga shotguns for turkey season next spring

Get my footed shaft jig up and running so I can finally shoot footed shafts.

what else...

oh yes I'd love to get back into commercial tying. OH did I mention my plan is to build two 12 ga (maybe 10s), flintlock doubles next winter? yup, commercial tying will fit right in. Heck I havent touched my table in two winters now.

Oh I did put my mega rod to use this summer on kings in sitka, wow, what fun! Kings just below the surface, site fishing. nabbed 7 in two days landed, bunch more lost somewhere between bite and boatside.

There is a rod builder out there already, up on chena hotsprings road. He has rods at SW also. Figured you know that already.

Default Good idea

I get my stuff from H&H but would be happy to get it from you. I'm in Anc. though and would need you to mail it to me. Always happy to support Alaskan businesses.

I am looking to build either Sage or Loomis 8WT or a light spinning rod this winter. Never built a spinning rod so don't know jack about them. PM me if this sounds good.

Good luck!!!!!

Default Busy Eh

Tradbow sounds like you do not have enough hobbies this Winter LOL.

Yes I was thinking of contacting and extending a hand out in that direction as well. Would be nice to put some eggs in the same basket for future customer base to make it what it shoud be a quailty shop that offers quality products and information.

Cleaner I will PM you eh.

Default just rods

will you just be carrying stuff to build rods or would it be a full service fly/tackle shop?

Default Well :-)

Primary would be Rod Building and the required items to accomplish that task such as glues, threads, blanks, reel seats, winding checks, tip tops etc..

Currently have plans to use th eplace to teach fly tying as well and we will have a mix of assets available however nothing like you would expect at Sportsmans.

Moose-O

Default Rod building supplies

I learned to build rods from old Loyd George out of his Noble st Shop.(House of Rods). He sold his shop years ago and moved to California. I still build rods every now and then. When I first started to build rods, I used old Lamiglass Fiberglass blanks, and Fuji guides and reel seat.. It was a great learing experience and it was cheap. For people just learning to build rods it is important to start them out on an inexpensive blank and components. I still have my first rod and I still use it. Over the years, I bought more expensive banks and reel seats, and guides. For supplies. I like Fuji guides and reel seats. Also, Cork that wont break the bank. Right now, I buy my supplies from Ebay or Cabelas. I hope this new venture works out well for you.
    Ray
    Fairbanks, Ak

Default Rod Building Shop

There is a full service rod building supply shop in the Fairbanks area. Two River Rods (WWW.TWORIVERRODS.COM) is located in Two Rivers at 23 Mile Chena Hot Springs Road. TRR builds and repairs rods and sells all the pieces, parts and supplies needed to build rods. TRR stocks Loomis, Batson, St. Croix, Lamiglas, Pacific Bay, and Seeker blanks.

Default Thanks Brian

You are correct and thank you for posting the data. The shop in question is excellent and Brian does quality work and carries a full line of related equipment.

if you need some flies to sell I'll trade you a ton for a 15ft 10wt blank ;P good luck, wish you were down here in Juneau, I need a ton of stuff..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hey Moose, I konw the conections you have, I'm looking for a laker rod blank, something like the pL34 H (ht enterpirses) Their new blank is the same, the reel seat is HORRIBLE! St Croix came out with a new 34" H but the reel seat is TINY!

Also have a thorne brothers custom, a little long for the shack.

Talk to me, what ya got?

I'd like to stick with a spinning reelseat like the old pl34's have, I saved a broken rod just for this purpose. Something that isnt rebar but isnt a noddle either......

OH also have the Genz predator I'm thinking of chopping down a few inchs to stiffen the tip up just a skosh and shortne it also.

Moose, Thanks for the post.

Default No Worries

T.B I will P.M you this weekend

tomorrow is my monday....so I wont get it till after dinner with the inlaws, just and fyi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast