Thread: Need some info/help on a 300 win mag

Default Need some info/help on a 300 win mag

Looking at getting a 300 win mag built by savage fire arms. I own a 243 and a 22 savage rifels. The price is very good and they even offer a package deal. Gun and scope a xp3 3x9x40mm. For just under 700$. Just wondering If anyone has any good or bad things to say about this deal??
    Thanks For any first or second hand info shared.
    Oh anyone seen the Dare cop car by the donut stands????? Ha ha just kindding. Cool car!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Well savage is really starting to move up in price. Its hard to get used too, but I really think they are nice rifles. A little rough around the edges. But man, they come loaded with nice features. I like the accutriger, wich I still think is the best factory trigger out there. The stocks are pillar bedded and freefloated. And my experience with the guns is they shoot little groups all the time.
    Im not familiar with the scope you speek of. My hunch is its probably okay for an iowa deer stand. Id get just the rifle, and get a different scope.

Ive never heard of a problem with the action, and they chamber some huge rounds for it. So its probably stout. Id say get it if you like it.

If I was in the market for another 300 id give it a look.

I'd dump the scope if you got the package deal, cause it's probably junk.

Default Thanks guys

I decided to get the riffle with out the scope. 700$ for a brand new rifle is in the price range I like. Im thinking about putting the Leupold vx-III 4.5-14x50.

Thanks for the info.

Default scope

I just bought and put a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 mm long range side focus on a 300 win mag and love it.

Default where did you buy the scope?

Did u order it off line?

Cost if you dont mind telling?

Default cost

I bought the scope, dual dove tail rings, dual dove tail mounts, tax and shipping for 635.00 dollars. I bought it at Click here: Telescopes Microscopes Sunglasses Rifle Scopes Night Vision Binoculars Radar Guns Rangefinders Cameras & more!

If I remember right there price was 679.00 dollars. I called them and told them I had found a place where they were cheaper. After talking to them for awhile I got them to throw in the mounts and rings of my choice and to drop the price. When I called I spoke with a girl that did not know a rifle from a scope. However, she told me there were two guys in the office that specialized in scopes. I spoke with the one that was the head guy. If you run into any problems let me know and I will see if I can run down the paperwork to see what the guys name was. But it should not be hard. As I said there was only two. So, if that is a price you like just call and ask to speak with the guy who knows the most about scope and who is in charge.

The scope is a Lepould VXIII Long Range, Side Focus, 4.5-14x50mm

Default Sweet!

I cant wait to order mine.

Whats meant by "Good enough for an Iowa deer stand"?

I didnt mean to single out iowa I guess. Ill say Idaho, where I hunted a couple of years ago from a stand over a alfalfa field. The weather was tame, I could keep my gun and scope sheilded, and after a few hours of sitting I was back at the ranch in 5 minutes. I would have trusted a tasco under those conditions.

I meant that stand hunting over an alfalfa field in the lower 48 is less extreme than a 10 day tenting adventure on kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

I meant that stand hunting over an alfalfa field in the lower 48 is less extreme than a 10 day tenting adventure on kodiak.
    Guess that depends on where you hunt in the "lower 48".
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

By the way, I have a VX III on my 7mm-08 and it is nowhere near as nice as the Zeiss I just got for the 300. Not really even in the same league for clarity or twilight vision (neither is my Nikon buckmasters but that was under $300). 3-9x50mm Conquest for $499.99. With the warne rings and T/C bases, it was cheaper than the leuphold, too. I think I have purchased my last Nikon and Leuphold. Except I have heard rave reviews about the Nikon monarch, might give that one a try someday.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?