Thread: Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag Alaskan Guide

Cabin at 9,120' elevation

Default Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag Alaskan Guide

Anyone have one of these?
    Shoots .44 mag, .44 specials also...and has almost the power of a .454.

Reviews? Pros and/or cons?

Great looking one, thinking of selling my SW 29 for one.

Default Yes, I have one ...

.. and i love it! Several years ago, I was looking for heavy duty sidearm. I didn't like the Ruger SuperRedhawk (well made, but ugly to me), and didn't really trust the Taurus. So what other options were there? S&W was being boycotted at the time because of the deal they cut with the Clinton administration (and they only offered a 44 mag anyway), so what else? I couldn't afford one of the other brands (can't recall the names), and they are single action anyway, and I wanted DA/SA. Then I found the DW. They had just introduced the AK guide special, and it was just what I was looking for. But price was still an issue. Lo and behold, I found a local guy who had a 445 supermag for sale. It only had the 8" barrel at the time, so i ordered the 4" barrel and ported shroud from DW. It has the standard satin stainless finish, not the matte, weather-tuf finish that DW is/was putting on the "official" AK Guide Special, but its the same in all other respects.

Yes, its, just a shade under the 454 ballistically, and just a shade over the 480 Ruger. It's a fine handgun! But don't expect it to shoot 44 mags too well; at least mine doesn't. Yeah, they'll shoot, but not well. I gave up on that notion pretty fast. But in a pinch, they'll work. Realize that it strictly a handloading proposition, but they're easy to load for. I use a sett of 44 dies; cast my own Saeco bullets, and use Starline brass.

Good luck. I think you'll enjoy it.

I have one with 3 bbl's that I don't use any more. In fact, I've only put about 200 rounds through it since I bought it new. All bbl's are heavy vent shroud type, two are 8 inch and are set up with scopes, the other bbl is 6 inch with no scope mount. I signed it over to my brother in law who never uses it, but takes good care of it. He hunts with 44 mags and I have a 454 and 500 that I use along with a 44 once in a while. I have all the dies and some components too if you know any one that is interested in buying it. I want to get a rifle and scope for a 2009 Caribou hunt in Alaska.

do you still have it please reply to iwanna445 i live in wyo and have an ffl dealer i work with if you are serious for the right price thanks

Big Lake, Alaska

Default Tough as nails

I have had mine for awhile and carried through the bog and the sand and still shoots. I can till you it will sit a 400 lb black bear on his rear and dreaming of daises.