Thread: Trappers Association Meeting this past Tuesday

Default Trappers Association Meeting this past Tuesday

Did anyone attend the Trappers Association meeting in Fairbanks this past Tuesday?
    It was my first and I was pretty impressed with the guest speaker!
    I wanted to get an idea if that's what I should always expect or are there that many people there regularly? The husband and I were discussing that it was because it's the beginning of season and that most people haven't put their lines out yet.
    So... the questions are:
    ~What was your take on the meeting and the guest speaker?
    ~Are there usually that many people at the meetings?
    ~How do you feel about children in attendance to the association meetings?
    Lurker.

That was the most people I've ever seen at a meeting, I don't know why. That was about how most meeting are handled, the first hour is association business and the second hour is a presentation of some sort. I think bringing kids is great as long as the little rats are controlled, I've never seen a problem. Welcome

Default Kids

It would be nice to see something else for the kids to do. Their attention span in 15-20 minutes if I am giving a lesson on something. There are some good word search programs out there. Maybe one on wood lore, animals, weather facts... Anything to teach them something that seems to be fun.

Even a kids activity..... knot tying, basic first aid, survival kits..... the old Scout Master in me is showing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Enjoyed it

It was my first meeting as well and I must say that I found it to be very informative and enjoyable. As for kids attending the meeting I say they're welcome any time. It is our job to pass on our love for the outdoors to our kids.

Thanks!! I have really enjoyed hearing all the responses!

I thought that there was an incredible amount of people there! Our kids did really well and they didn't seem interested at the time, but as soon as we got home, they wanted to watch the wolf trapping video.

The speaker was very good, I thought. He had many people there asking questions, though, which meant that he has to keep stopping his presentation. His trapping techniques are good, but they were the same ones on the wolf trapping video that we got.

The husband finally took out all of his traps and snares last night and we were showing the kids them. Wooooo! But I don't think that we will have a chance to trap this year. He's getting ready to go up to the slope in a couple of weeks and I have no idea what to do... and I would rather do trapping with him.

I agree with you, Dave, that there should be something there for the kids. My kids helped out, though, choosing raffle tickets. There was also someone there that looked like you, but I know that you live too far away to be at that particular meeting.
    Lurker.