Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle for Wife

Default Hunting Rifle for Wife

Hope someone can help. My wife is ready for her own rifle to hunt with. (Previously she used my Ruger M77 MKII 30-06) The rifle is overall too big for her, not the caliber, but the rifle size and stock itself.

She is 5' 3" and on the lighter side.

I'm only interested in a rifle with a stainless barrel and a fiber stock. I can't find a youth rifle in 30-06 caliber.

Our biggest problem with the shared rifle is that somehow with the way she has to look thru the scope her groupings are precisely 3" lower than mine with the exact same scope settings at 100 yds. (We burned thru lot's of ammo to confirm that theory.)

Anyone have any suggetions?

Default 308

Browning A-Bolt in 308, Federal makes a 180 grain load that hits with 3000 ft lbs at muzzle. I restocked mine with a Bell & Carson fiber stock, you could have a gun smith trim stock to fit her. Tips in at 6.25 lbs & shoots great.

Countless whitetail & mule deer & 1 elk & a boo. Moose hunt in 2008 in Alaska & I will carry this gun

I'd sure look at the Ruger All Weather Ultralight in 06. I've not used this particular stainless/synthetic model but the standard wood/blue Ultralight is the favorite of both my wife and my daughter. We're down to two of them (257 Roberts) in the household right now, but my wife is showing interest in more power. The stainless in 06 is very likely to appear under the conifer in our living room in a couple of months.

Take a look at the Kimber Montana, that would be an ideal rifle for your wife. My wife hunts and she is about the same size as your wife, maybe an inch or 2 taller. She bought herself a Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm08 and absolutely loves that rifle, she's always asking me when we can go shoot. It's the right size for her and doesn't weigh much either.

I don't know this guy or his gun but this is what I would recommend.
    I would jump on it if it was for $200 less and think seriously think about it if it was $100 less.
    I have a blued Model 7 in 308 and it is my favorite deer gun (Pssst, don't tell my other guns)
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20719

Default For what it is worth....

Just throwing an idea out there. Consider it more of a "tested product" opinion.

I bought a Kimber Montana 7mm.08 for my daughters. It sounds like you may want the .06 version or larger so I will only talk about the size, fit, and accuracy.

The rifle fits my 5' 1" daughter perfectly. She is able to easily pack and handle it. The barrel is shorter and stainless, stock is synthetic so makes for very light pack rifle. I give it a 10 out of 10 for that part.

The Montana has a shorter barrel. This is the sacrifice. I can not drive nails at 100 yds. It has a 1" to 1.5" group at 100 yds. with factory ammo. At 300 yds. my daughters are able to hit 8" ballons everytime however. So I give it a 7 out of 10 for accuracy. My longer barreled rifles are less than 1/2" group at 100 yds. Sacrifice we make by going short.

The action is a little rough for them to work. I don't have a problem with it. I'm a little "firmer" with the action. I do wish it was smoother. I may see about get it smoothed somehow. So a 5 out of 10 for smooth action. I do have to add though, I am used to my 1965 rifle that has shot many rounds through it and is extremely smooth.

So that is my product report. Been there and done that, not speculation.

I got my wife a ruger m77 mkII in 308 youth model. The little thing has an 18" barrel and short stock it is almost "cute". She loves it though it is blued/wood but still very light because it is so small. I will restock it when she beats it up enough (probably years) and may break down and get it marine coated but for now it is good for here to learn to care for a rife that requires it. She shoots it better than me! I can't stand the little thing I am 6'5" and she is 5'3" and that little rifle beats me to pieces. I guess it's ergonomics I sight it in with a pachmeyer and a towel on my shoulder and she will put 15 rounds through it back to back without a flinch!

My wife shoots a Remington model 700 SPS youth model in a .270 win. I spent a bit over $500 for the rifle. Parkerized metal, synthetic stock, topped with a Leupold Rifleman 3X9 - she has no problem with 1" groups at the range (she outshoots me quite often). Rifle fits her well - She's 5'8" medium/small build. Have fun shopping.

DS

Take her out to all the shops in town and have her handle all the rifles she wants to. Nothin will instill her confidence as much as knowing it is her rifle and she picked it out.
    Don't try to steer her into one brand or another. After all it will be her rifle. Any rifle she picks can have the stock shortened. Customize it just for her.
    Tennessee

Another vote for the Ruger ultralight SS. Great guns, and should be just her size.

My wife used my Ruger 30-06 also, but I got her a Ruger 77 International 30-06 this year. She likes the size and the fact that the controls match her 77/22 made the transition easy. It's blued and wood, but so is mine and thats never been an issue here in the interior. Having to carry only one type of ammo is pretty handy, especially since she is my usual hunting partner.

Muzzle blast from the 18.5" barrel is noticable though. The ultralight would be a little better with it's 20" barrel.

Isaac

I was looking at a Tikka last week at Sportsman's Wharehouse, in 30/06. It seemed very light to me, and I think others on the board here have chimed in that they really like this rifle.

I took her to a Cabelas while we were in Wisconsin visiting relatives. The salesman showed her several different brands of rifles and the Ruger catalog and then basically gave up when nothing in the larger caliber was found.

Although having a light rifle would be good for her, the size is more important. We hunt sometimes from our boat in saltwater and I don't want to waiver away from stainless steel.

Can a fiber stock be shortened?? I remember installing a limbsaver pad on my Ruger and it seems like the stock was hollow inside with just some support stringers running thru the inside of the stock.

Thanks for all the advice. We'll try Sportsman's Warehouse next and see what they come up with.

Thanks

Yes they can. You have it cut off to the length you want and then inlet a piece of wood and glue it into place. This is what the recoil pad will attach to.
    You may want to PM KK as I have seen some of his own glass stocks he has modified and he does a first class job on them.
    Tennessee

The only disadvantage to trimming a full size stock is that the forend and pistol grip are still full size. If they fit her, that's great, but the "ultralight" is a trimmer stock all around which is nice if she has small hands. I have heard that the latest rugers are a little slimmer through the pistol grip, so it may be a non-issue anymore. You can also get stainless, laminated stock rifles from both Ruger and Remington which makes cutting it down and easy task. The Remington mountain rifle is another rifle with a nice trim stock and at least it used to be available in SS.

Yellowknife

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

There is the Savage Model 11FYXP3 (Package Series) Youth, with AccuTrigger.

http://www.savagearms.com/11fyxp3.htm

Notice, they make it in 7mm-08, and the LOP is 12.5. More importantly, the barrel is 22. Those extremely short barrels, (Less than 20 in a modern cartridge) are really hard on the ear-balls.

The 7mm-08 is an adequate cartridge IMO. My wife uses a 7x57 which is quite similar. I would use the heavier bullets, or Nosler Partitions.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

700 Remington...............300 SARUM ....very lite and very little felt recoil, and a very good shooter.

OK My wife is 4'11" and weighs 105. Got her a Remington 7400 in 30-06. Took her to the gun shop and had gunsmith measure her and cut the stock down to fit her. At first the gunsmith did not want to cut the stock so short, complaining no one else would ever be able to shoot it that short. I told him too bad if someone else wants to shoot it they can order a new stock.

Then when our son was wanting to move up to something bigger than his .243. I took a Savage 30-06 I had and ordered a youth stock for it. it worked good for him. As he got bigger he gave it to his mother and got himself a stainless 30-06. I took the youth stock and cut another inch off it and reset the recoil pad for my wife.

The most improtant thing is to make the gun fit the shooter. If it does not fit it will not be a plesant experience for her and she will not want to shoot it often.

My wife discovered a gun I had built for my self one weekend, last year. She found it interesting, it being a .35 Whelen, so she took it to the range. The next time I seen it the stock had been chopped down to her length of pull. I asked what happened to my gun, her reply was "Get over it, that's the cost of having me as your hunting partner. I like it, it hits harder than my 30-06, so I'm carrying it from now on." OK with me, she's the best partner I've ever had.

Hang onto her for sure, GB!

Your post points out not only the value of making a gun fit, but also the comparative ease of doing so for most guns. You have to pay attention to alignment, but if you can whack a 2x4 in half in a miter box, you have all the skills and tools you need to shorten a stock. Strapping tape and either a grinding wheel or a rasp and plenty of patience are all you need to make a recoil pad or butt plate fit the new dimensions.

But I gotta say, I'm glad my wife and I have similar LOP, because even when she takes over one of my rifles, I still get to shoot it once in a while. When she will let me. If she's in the mood. If I'm polite.

I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess. Amen.

Well, she can handle the recoil of a .30-06, so I see no reasons why she could not handle the recoil of a sort of .308. Right? In such a case, why not buying a .338 Federal for her, and topping it with a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x, or a Leupold Vary-X III 1.75-6x (or so)?

That would be an excellent compromise relating to enough power and not too much recoil.

Default wifes gun

I let my wife shoot a varity of guns form 30-06 to 375 H&H. She is of medium build. She ended up with a Browning A-Bolt in 338 with boss. Had the stock cut to fit her and she loves the gun. At the time I tried to talk her into stainless with a synthtic stock but she liked the looks of the medalion it was "pretty". But after seeing what I put my stainless A-bolt through she wanted to get one. So I found one on Gunbrokers.com shipped for $585. just a side note that my sister-inlaw shoots a 375 with out a brake. It all depends on your wife and what she likes to shoot and can shoot well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast