Thread: Sitka hunt trip

Default Sitka hunt trip

I am chomping at the bit to get down to Sitka in December for some deer hunting. I've been checking out some of the cabins in the area, all of which rent for $45 a night which is not bad considering the view. I've stayed at the cabin located at Allen Point located about 16 miles North of town. I am looking at perhaps taking the cabin in Samsing Cove which is only about 6 miles South of Sitka. I went on the USFS web site and pulled up the information regarding this particular cabin but they are vague in the details of the surrounding area. Having lived in Sitka for several years prior, I know that just about anywhere around Sitka is good for deer but I am not familiar with Samsing Cove and the lay of the land. I can only imagine that there will be a considerable amount of hill climbing involved which is fine. the higher up you go, the better the view. If anyone has been to this particular site, I would appreciate some input on areas close by to consider. When I get back, with a little luck, I'll have some good photos to share with the rest of the group.
    Gunup1

gunup, I hunted from the Allen Point cabin last October PM for details. HH

deer numbers are way down this fall, got hit hard with snow last year. Seen only one group running this summer out of sitka, where the year before we'd see them almost daily.

Closer you are to town the harder it was hit by people, but either way the numbers are down....talk to FG.

Samsing is pretty close to town. I suppose you could hunt there, but I'd opt for something a little further away. If you have the ability to take a boat, I'd go to Moser Island... A LOT more area to hunt. My 2 cents.

Oh yeah,

So far, I've seen three deer taken down here. I'm hoping to head out this next week to do some hunting of my own, I'll let you know what I see.

Moser's a pretty popular place too.

Have you heard how the population is yet TB? Heard some of the summer goat flights showed the goats hit pretty dang hard too, and some of the deer fawns were tiny, what few were seen. Any rumor to this?

Pretty much what I heard. The goat survey was done during pretty warm weather, which would have made the goats a lot harder to find. I don't think the survey was very conclusive.

As far as the fawns go, I saw a picture of a fawn (photo taken Aug 2) that looked like it was only a week or two old. It looked like a fawn you'd see in June... unbelievable.

It's clear and cold right now, supposed to get wet again this weekend. I'm still planning on looking around next week. Hopefully I can stir up something.

Thumbs up Heading to Appleton Cove

I will be down Dec 11-22 and hunting out of the Appleton Cove Cabin with my brother in law who lives down there. We plan on hunting the logging roads in the area as well as along the beaches. Last year we were two short of limiting out on our return trip from the Moser Cabin area. We were weathered in most of the time, but once the sun came out and the wind stopped the beaches were full of game. All in all between the fishing, the hunting and the scenery the trip was well worth it. I love to hunt out of Sitka and would recommend anyone to go north and hund any of the numerous coves.