Thread: Carbs or EFI?

Default Carbs or EFI?

I am looking to buy a touring sled and have found a sweet deal on an '02 Yamaha Venture 700. The only drawback is that it has carbs. Should I be concerned about this? I have been told that I should buy EFI only. Comments and recommendations are welcome. I will be using this machine mainly up in the Lake Louise Basin.

I have a carbed Yamaha and an injected Arctic Cat. The major difference that I find is that the Cat starts alot easier when it is cold.

The only real downfall to a carburated machine is if you do seriously high mountain climbing. Then the cure is a simple jet change. I've had both EFI and carbed machines and I really think throttle response is better with the carb....

As far as the altitude thing goes, most of the terrain around here is between sea level and 4,000' which can be easily jetted for. It is the guys in Colorado who ride anywhere from 4k-11k' that are constantly having to adjust their jetting.

Another thing to consider is most EFI's (other than some Arctic cat models) require a battery. My Polaris EFI was that way too. If you are 50 miles in the back country and tag a tree (been there...) and happen to land on your battery which then decides to shatter and is rendered useless, you are screwed until you get another battery.

Just food for thought. I wouldn't let a carb scare you away from any machine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Carbs it is!

Thanks for the input Akmud. I will be doing most of my cruising below the 4 to 5K mark anyway. This machine is a Yamaha triple 700 with less than 600 miles on it! I would think that it would be good to go for quite a while. I always liked the dependability of the Yamaha engines. Thanks again.

Dave

I like EFI but wouldn't pass a good deal on a carbed sled ( I am picking one up this weekend)
    AKmud- Think I saw your cruiser about 1130 this morning on the glen near Eagle River

Default Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    I have a carbed Yamaha and an injected Arctic Cat. The major difference that I find is that the Cat starts alot easier when it is cold.
    That was a concern of mine also. my last carbed machine was a 500 cc Skidoo with a primer instead of a choke and it was a pain in the cold!! The seller of this VEnture says he has had it out at -14F and it started without a problem.

Default To LuJon

Hey LuJon this machine is an '02 venture 700 triple with only 500 miles and loaded for $4000. Book says about $3600 but this one is LIke New! What do you think?

Just FYI, I got an '06 polaris 600 with 750 miles and about 500 dollars worth of accessories last spring for 4K...I say too high.

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks Hunt_ Ak. Sounds like a good deal! Will keep a look out.

just bought a mint condition 271 mile 04 Mountain Cat 800 EFI with a 159" track, unused cover (the sled was in an enclosed trailer), full set of ice scratchers, and a windshield bag for $4500. Keep your eye on craigslist good deals abound just do the research on the models you are interested in and be ready to jump when a cream puff pops up. My sled was on Craigslist less than 5 minutes before I called the guy he lived less than 10 miles away and I had it home within just a few hours (he never had a chance to change his mind!) Oh and amazing deal on that polaris Hunt_AK

Yeah the only bum deal about buying spring sleds is that I only got to ride it twice last year but you seem to get a heck of a deal...

Default Searching for the right sled

I just found an '02 Yamaha Mt. Max with 1k miles for $3000. Will look at it tomorrow. Good deal?

That aint bad. Gotta go with the low-ball, though!!

Default Low ball

The kid left the state and the Pops is selling. Will try to dicker down. You work the slope or Beluga?

Default Gorgeous

[quote=LuJon;167115]just bought a mint condition 271 mile 04 Mountain Cat 800 EFI with a 159" track,

That is one pretty machine. Looks fast too!

Quote Originally Posted by akpilotdc1 View Post
    slope or Beluga?
    I'm a sloper...u?