Thread: CVA Optima Elite

Default CVA Optima Elite

I'm curious if anyone out there owns an Optima Elite, or knows someone that has one. I've been thinking about buying a TC Encore, but haven't yet due to the $$$'s. CVA's Optima Elite is basically a knockoff of the TC but retails for about 360.00 in SS. Most of the barrels are also under $200.00. I'd be interested to hear how the gun performs, if it is a real contender to the TC Encore line, or if I should just keep saving my pennies!!

Question H&R = NEF = Marlin

How about a NEF Handi-Rifle? They are about half in price as the CVA and barrels are in all kinds of calibers. for GP hunting and shooting, they are good rifles.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Are they only offered in a pistol variation? The thing that I like most about the Encore is that you can set it up either as a pistol or rifle.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

You cannot set up an Encore rifle frame with a pistol barrel and grip.

Allen, I am being told that I can from my local gun shop owner (and that he's done it before in the past). I was a little skeptical at first when he told me... but he assured me that it is possible. The only thing you need to do is register it as a handgun. It seemed strange though that TC didn't mention the fact that it's possible in any of their literature, or on their website. Do you know this from first hand experience, or is this what you were told? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am planning on purchasing one this weekend!

Your gun shop owner needs to go read the T/C VS USA Supreme Court Ruling. The Encore rifle frames and pistol frames come from T/C already registered as a rifle or a pistol. If in doubt as to how a frame was registered call T/C with the serial number and they will tell you if it is a pistol or rifle.

There are aware of this ruling. They state that in order to legally do this, you must first purchase the Encore as a pistol with the required paperwork, then you can convert it to a rifle/shotgun giving you the option of both.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty2005
    There are aware of this ruling. They state that in order to legally do this, you must first purchase the Encore as a pistol with the required paperwork, then you can convert it to a rifle/shotgun giving you the option of both.

Yes that is the only way you are going to get a frame legally suitable for pistol and rifle barrels and handles. But you have to buy a pistol frame to do this. Your gunshop owner cannot register a rifle frame as a pistol frame.

AHHHHHHH now the light bulb is starting to flicker... So basically, it is a paper trail, the rifle and pistol frames are identical (so it is physically possible to interchange the barrels), but the frames are registered separately. They need to make sure that they are either selling the pistol frame/pistol barrel combination, or the rifle frame/rifle barrel combination. I will enlighten them this morning when I go in to purchase my encore... I'm sure if they were to get audited by the ATF there might be some hefty penalties! Thanks for not giving up on me... I now understand.

Default sparty2005

I have one of the "wolf" muzzleloaders. They are just the economical version of the CVA Optima . I bought it on sale at Cabelas for 135 bucks. It is much lighter that the Optima and will shoot 2 inch 100/yrd groups with several different loads. I have owned them all, Encore's, Rossi's, Knights etc. and the Wolf is the most bang for the buck as far as muzzleloaders that I have owned.

As whateverI8 stated....the NEF is a no frills, rock solid gun as well! My brother has one and swears by it!

Well the debate is over for me... I just purchased an Encore pistol chambered in .270 today, should be in on Tuesday. Can't wait to see how it shoots! Anyway, now I have to decide on a pistol scope... something that I've never used before, should be interesting!

Default Single Shot

I dont understand the obsession with these single shot rifles. When I was twelve I used a single shot as a starter rifle. Is this a Plot by the Democrats to trick us into using polictically correct single shot rifles? Its the 21st century, lets move on to better Ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by moodyone
    I dont understand the obsession with these single shot rifles. When I was twelve I used a single shot as a starter rifle. Is this a Plot by the Democrats to trick us into using polictically correct single shot rifles? Its the 21st century, lets move on to better Ideas.

No Democratic Plot. Have you ever hunted things that can bite back with a single shot rifle? I have and it adds to the challenge. Try hunting Grizzly Bear with a single shot rifle than come and tell me that it's the 21st century and time to move on to better ideas.

I own several Ruger #1's in various calibers and I have an Encore with 9 different barrels ranging from 500 S&W down to .223. They are fun to shoot.

Hey Moody how many shots do you need to kill your intended game???

Exclamation

Is this a Plot by the Democrats to trick us into using polictically correct single shot rifles? Its the 21st century, lets move on to better Ideas.

Here's a better idea: Let's don't pretend that Democrats are plotting against hunters' guns. We hunt. We shoot. We own guns. We respect the second amendment. Read the party platform some time.

Dunno about your state, but Alaska's concealed carry bill was first carried on the floor of the House by Fran Ulmer (D-Juneau). That bill was ultimately signed by Democratic Governor Tony Knowles. Two or three years ago we did away with the need for a permit to carry concealed in our state. Guy responsible for that bill is running for governor now: Eric Croft (D-Anchorage).

Or, you could believe everything you hear on AM radio...

Just an idea.

Default multi targets

Not trying to get into a polictical debate on gun control. I live in an area where I can Harvest multiple deer, second shot oportunities often arise. I have enjoyed hunting with repeater rifles such as a browning BAR 3006. I like the lever action guns as well. I think people are often influenced to much by all the hunting shows using these single shot thompsons. Thompson sponsors just about every hunting show I watch. I also know real word hunting may require a second shot, not every hunt is like what we see on TV. Just my opinion. I also enjoy precision shooting. I have an AR10 the shoots more accurate then my remington bolt target rifle. With todays manufacturing technology, Semi autos can be just as accurate. Just food for thought. I hope to deer hunt alaska this fall with a BLR in 300WSM. I cant hardly wait.

For every Democratic political figure that is for guns there are 10 that are against. Thats a fact!

Question Do tell...

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone
    Thats a fact!
    Got a source for that "fact"?

Or is that the kind of 'fact' special interest groups use in their fundraising letters?

Smile This Shooting Forum

Gentlemen,

Wouldn't this be a better place to visit if one were not inundated with the politics of the age and the strife of the world? As interesting and invigorating as this subject seems to be, would it not be even better if we wrote our opinions about guns and shooting and leave the politics in D.C. and Juneau?

Please refrain. Good shootin'.

Murphy

I think people are often influenced to much by all the hunting shows using these single shot thompsons. Thompson sponsors just about every hunting show I watch.

Well that's the difference between you and I. I don't watch hunting shows. I have been using the Ruger #1 rifles from 2 years after it came on the market and have never looked back. I also own bolt, lever and semi-autos firearms.