Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More New Rugers

Default More New Rugers

In case anyone here is interested, there are two new Ruger calibers coming down the pipe.
    They are short magnums based on the 375 Ruger case.

The first is the 338 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum) and the second is the 300 RCM. Hornday has an image up on their site and there is a teaser article from Boddington in Guns and Ammo.

Both are supposed to fit in a short-action frame and new gun offerings are in the works from Ruger. Oddly enough, with the new Ruger marketing plan, we'll not hear much until the guns are ready to ship.

"Oddly enough, with the new Ruger marketing plan, we'll not hear much until the guns are ready to ship."

The only thing odd is the break from the trend. I'm so sick of two years of hype before something is released, that I have to respect Ruger for that one. It would be even more fun if the gun writers couldn't get advance versions and had to wait like the rest of us. I bet it would knock off lots of the drivel writers if us commoners had been testing the same guns and loads by the time their writing appeared!

You seem to have a low opinion of the firearms media.

That is a shame. Being in the media, I try to share what I can, when allowed. I think the trend is headed toward getting the guns, etc... into the hands of the media so we can release info the day the product hits the shelves. Ruger did this with the SR9 pistol. Did I know about it? Did I see/hold the gun before it was released? Yes. But Ruger asked we keep it under wraps until you could by one. Good for them. I think more companies will follow suit as Ruger was well regarded for doing this.

I have a high opinion of the tradition of an honest, forthright firearms media. I have a lower than low opinion of hype writing, whether for free gear or free visits to lodges in trade for drivel.

Magazines and their editorial policies are run by their ad departments. Kiss-and-tell articles so the mags can sell ads to businesses in the region of featured articles, gun "tests" that slop on the compliments so the manufacturer will not be offended and pull ads- Those have become the tradition of the new firearms media.

How long has it been since anyone has published an article about how badly a new piece of gear performed? How about articles that expose rotten service and facilities with lodges and guides?

Honest, tell-it-like-it-is writing has my deepest respect. Writing as cover for kiss-and-tell, ad sales, or copping free gear and trips has my deepest loathing.

I'd say that I have very high expectations for honesty in media rather than a low opinion of the firearms media. Any writer that doesn't measure up is going to hear about it from me, as he should from every reader. I pop editors when I see drivel, just as I stroke their silky locks when they publish good work.

If you count yourself among the old tradition of media, my deepest respect for you in upholding the standard.

If you're a new-age media type, you will have trouble understanding why I subscribe to absolutely NO gun magazines these days.

Hats off to Ruger for their new approach!

Any rumors about what kind of rifles they will be released in? I sure wish they would offer more models with open sights. I have a 338 mkII with open sights and it sure is nice to have them in case of scope failure. I would be completley comfortable shooting a moose with them out to 150yds. I don't care for the sights on the 375 ruger Alaskan seem way to bulky for any kind of precision. I know they were thinking close range charge stopping with them but if you need a scope for anything beyond 50 yds whats the point? KK

I have heard rumbles of what the new rifles may be, but until I know something definite. Besides, you can pretty much guess what will be coming out. Besides, like I said, Ruger won't talk until the rubber meets the road...

And to Brown Bear's comments, I consider myself a new/old school guy. I agree with you that I don't want to see anything that is all hype-driven promo stuff. Doesn't do anyone any good. And I don't want to write that stuff either. If I did, I would have kept my old job as a writer for one of the major retail/catalog companies out there.

And I for one appreciate it when people do call writers out for being too promotional for certain things. Have I been offered free stuff? Yes. Do I accept it? Nope. I return everything.

Where do I find that little button for the "Hat Off" icon?

Watch your step, though. You've climbed so high on my esteem ladder that there aren't many rungs left.

Hornady’s New Ruger Compact Magnums are Extreme Cartridges for Extreme Hunting
    (Grand Island, NE) – Based on the beltless 375 Ruger, the 300 and 338 RCM’s are engineered to offer 300 and 338 Win Mag performance, but in a more compact package. A new generation of cartridge design provides unmatched ballistic performance, less felt recoil, longer barrel life, and superior performance at all temperatures, in a package that is well suited to all hunting environments and conditions any hunter may encounter. The 300 RCM is available in 150, 165 and 180-grain SST offerings. Each 300 RCM load exceeds comparative 300 Win Mag loads from a 20" barrel. Muzzle velocities for the 300 RCM are 3,170 fps, 3,030 fps, and 2,900 fps, respectively – from a 20" factory barrel. The 338 RCM is available in the newly developed 200 gr SST, and 225 gr SST offerings. Velocities for the 338 RCMs are 2,850 fps and 2,710 fps respectively, easily out performing the 338 Win Mag at equal barrel length. Together with Ruger, Hornady has developed these cartridges to fit Ruger’s new quick-handling M77 Hawkeye. Weighing in at 6.5 pounds, the rifle features a 20-inch barrel, LC6 trigger and updated stock dimensions. This partnership between the two shooting industry leaders results in a compact and highly effective package. Headquartered in Grand Island, Nebraska, Hornady Manufacturing has been one of the world’s leading producers of bullets, ammunition and reloading equipment for more than 50 years
    Tennessee

Do you think maybe Ruger learned their lesson with the Gold Label fiasco? How many years was it before anyone actually saw one of those outside the pages of a magazine?

Ruger made a mistake with the short fat cartridges. What a joke.

I totally agree. They should of just necked there .375 Ruger and they would of created a medium length "ultramag" series.
    Tennessee

"medium length "ultramag" series"

AKA: 7mm Dakota, 300 Dakota, 330 Dakota, & 375 Dakota

From what I've been able to gather, these were from Hornady. Meaning Hornady came up with them and then went to Ruger. I think the 33 RCM will flop, but there is potential for the 338 RCM.

I agree. I would be more excited about a 375 Ruger necked down to a 338 in a factory load.

I wonder what this will do to the Ruger guns in 338 Federal?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "medium length "ultramag" series"

AKA: 7mm Dakota, 300 Dakota, 330 Dakota, & 375 Dakota
    And Ruger's new cartridges can be compared to the WSM and RSAUM cartridges as well, so what's your point?

Default joke

Supposedly these new compact mag's will produce similar velocities to the 300 win mag and 338 win mag but with a short action and 20 inch bbl. Thats all fine and dandy except for the part that those velocities are only obtainable by using factory ammo stoked with there owne powders which aren't available to handloaders. Try handloading those RCM's and I bet the velocities will drop considerably. I will stick with the originals or even the WSM's since they can be handloaded to meet and excede factory velocities. I agree that they should have just necked the 375 ruger down to .338 and .308 and then maybe they would have had something.

Talking BB...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    , just as I stroke their silky locks when they publish good work.
    ...you crack me up sometimes!

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the original .300WM, .338WM and .375H&H.

I agree with shphtr on the Dakota cartridges. If I wanted all that beltless stuff with no rebated rim, you can hardly find anything better...in all calibers. That being said, I am looking seriously at a .300 RUM as my long range laser!

Default They should bring out the 416 Ruger for sure

I think more short mags wont work to sell guns.I think my 12 ruger model 77s in 338 win mag that shoot 3/4" groups with factory ammo 225 gr at 2850 will work just fine.I dont see more short mags working.Ruger already dumped the wsms and remington short mags.I hope they are not just more 480s rugers.The 204 and 375 Ruger both are popular.I think the 416 Ruger and the 460 Ruger or 470 Ruger is the way to go.I love Ruger guns but dont need a short mag with a short barrel to blast my ears off.

Default dgr416, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by dgr416 View Post
    I think more short mags wont work to sell guns.I think my 12 ruger model 77s in 338 win mag that shoot 3/4" groups with factory ammo 225 gr at 2850 will work just fine.I dont see more short mags working.Ruger already dumped the wsms and remington short mags.I hope they are not just more 480s rugers.The 204 and 375 Ruger both are popular.I think the 416 Ruger and the 460 Ruger or 470 Ruger is the way to go.I love Ruger guns but dont need a short mag with a short barrel to blast my ears off.
    As of this moment, 8:52pm CST Nov. 12th, 2007, you can find on page ten of this forum, about six or seven posts down a thread titled 416 Ruger by grizz106 (I think). Originally, Murphy posted quite a bit on his experimentations with this caliber (yes, he's on the ball with new stuff like that!) but unfortunately, because of some turd stealing his intellectual property, I think he deleted a lot of it. It's still a good post with some good info about that caliber.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Hornady’s New Ruger Compact Magnums are Extreme Cartridges for Extreme Hunting
    (Grand Island, NE) – Based on the beltless 375 Ruger, the 300 and 338 RCM’s are engineered to offer 300 and 338 Win Mag performance, but in a more compact package. A new generation of cartridge design provides unmatched ballistic performance, less felt recoil, longer barrel life, and superior performance at all temperatures, in a package that is well suited to all hunting environments and conditions any hunter may encounter. The 300 RCM is available in 150, 165 and 180-grain SST offerings. Each 300 RCM load exceeds comparative 300 Win Mag loads from a 20" barrel. Muzzle velocities for the 300 RCM are 3,170 fps, 3,030 fps, and 2,900 fps, respectively – from a 20" factory barrel. The 338 RCM is available in the newly developed 200 gr SST, and 225 gr SST offerings. Velocities for the 338 RCMs are 2,850 fps and 2,710 fps respectively, easily out performing the 338 Win Mag at equal barrel length. Together with Ruger, Hornady has developed these cartridges to fit Ruger’s new quick-handling M77 Hawkeye. Weighing in at 6.5 pounds, the rifle features a 20-inch barrel, LC6 trigger and updated stock dimensions. This partnership between the two shooting industry leaders results in a compact and highly effective package. Headquartered in Grand Island, Nebraska, Hornady Manufacturing has been one of the world’s leading producers of bullets, ammunition and reloading equipment for more than 50 years
    The questions that arise.

Is a “more compact package” that important, as in a long, versus short action?

Who wants 338, or even a 300 Magnum that weighs 6.5 pounds?

Is the advertised “ballistic performance” only available in factory loads, and is it at higher pressures, like the WSMs?

What are the claims of “longer barrel life and superior performance at all temperatures” based on?

Is a beltless case of any great advantage?

For those who will be using factory loads, how long will it take for them to be as available as the 338 and 300 are now?

I can burn less powder and use lighter bullets in a 338 WM, for less recoil too.

I also have the option of using heavier bullets.

I can cut my 338 WM barrel to whatever length I want, but it's probably already too light.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast