Thread: Bows around $400???

Default Bows around $400???

Ok, so I just stumbled into 400 bucks, and I've been wanting a new compound bow for a while now, so any ideas? I need a 31'' draw length, and don't want much more than 36'' axle to axle, but I'm open to all options.

I really like the Hoyt Vectrix and even the Reflex Ridgeline but dang it seems like even those go for around 600 and more. And the Reflex only goes to 30'' draw.

When do the new model year bows come out? Should I wait and try and snag last years model on sale?

I guess the bottom line is that I can't go and drop 700 bucks on a new bow because the wife would kill me. I might be able to sneak some cash under the counter over 400 though, if I could get that hidden cash out of my gun cabinet without her seeing me,

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Ok, so I just stumbled into 400 bucks, and I've been wanting a new compound bow for a while now, so any ideas? I need a 31'' draw length, and don't want much more than 36'' axle to axle, but I'm open to all options.

I really like the Hoyt Vectrix and even the Reflex Ridgeline but dang it seems like even those go for around 600 and more. And the Reflex only goes to 30'' draw.

When do the new model year bows come out? Should I wait and try and snag last years model on sale?

I guess the bottom line is that I can't go and drop 700 bucks on a new bow because the wife would kill me. I might be able to sneak some cash under the counter over 400 though, if I could get that hidden cash out of my gun cabinet without her seeing me,
    I would spend the few extra bucks and just get the Hoyt....ask for forgiveness later!

I was giong to suggest Reflex when I saw the thread title, but I didn't realize they didn't make a 31" bow. Have you checked out the Kodiak and Mathews line? I believe they also make 31" bows, but the Mathews won't cost much less than the Hoyt. Remember too that no matter what you spend on the bow, you are still looking at some $ to spend on accessories too..sights, rests, arrows, release....whatever you choose. And there is NOTHING wrong with buying last years model if you get a good deal!

There are a few Hoyts on ebay that are new but last years model. You may be able to get one for $400. I also have a longer draw but switched to a string loop which deducted about 1/2" or so from my old draw length. If you didn't think about that it may get you down to 30".

Default New bow

Check out the classifieds section at Archery Talk. Very active site. I just bought a used 2-year old Bowtech off that site for $350. That was for bare bow.

Default diamond

I believe you can get a new Diamond by Bowtech for around 400. I don't have one personally, but the 2 guys I work with both bought one last year and we shoot together. They are light, quiet and fast. If I were in the market for a new bow, I'd definately consider a Diamond.

Default EBay

I would seriously watch EBAy. I bought a BowTech Constitution for $227, $247 shipped to Alaska. Bow was brand new with the plastic still on the handle and not one screw hole touched or an arrow ever nocked.

Perfect! I am setting it up exactly the same as my Pro 40. A guy can never have enough outdoor gear.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use a PSE and believe their mid to upper line is solid. My typhoon cost 300 and I added on a good site and a drop away rest so I ended up at a little over 400. You get what you pay for but when is enough enough? Try them all and good luck.

Are you looking for used or new?
    If new the diamonds or a Bowtech
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Keeping an eye on the used market is probably your best bet. Maybe put up a wanted ad on craigslist.

Like the other guys I got a screaming deal on a Matthews. Came fully set up with everything including release for 250.00.

Bows lose value at amazing rates. Take advantage!

Thats the only advice I got for ya. Im not keen with the new stuff.

Check out Parker bows at Sportsmens. I have one that I bought for around $400. That includes arrows, sight, whisker biscuit rest, and arrow holder. It a very good bow for the price. I just got back from Illinois last week. Shot 3 whitetail with my parker. Fast, reliable, and accurate!!

Another new option are Mission Bows. Basically Mathews' cheaper line, much like Reflex and Hoyt.

Very nice bows and they are LIGHT.

I'd second Fullcurl's suggestion-
    The classifieds on Archerytalk are a much better place to find used bows than Ebay-
    Most of the sellers are actual archers, rather than online traders, and tend to be more reliable. The prices are generally much better as well-
    I've purchased several Ross bows in excellent condition for under $400 delivered.
    Good luck.

I shoot a mathews switchback XT, but in terms of a value bow I would recommend the Parker to anyone getting started. It is very smooth and a quality product. I personally place it above the bowtech diamonds. I think you get a first rate model and not a price reduced of a high end brand. Just my thought.

Default Martin Archery

Visit the Martin archery website. I believe they offer the greatest amount of options available by any bow manufacturer. As mentioned, checking the classifieds on Archery talk is a good place to start.
    You can find some outstanding deals there, and you can also get ripped off. Make sure you get sufficient contact information.