Thread: Bow or rifle on the Haul Road

Default Bow or rifle on the Haul Road

I am an avid bowhunter, but I never know when I may have to leave Alaska. Because of Iraqi Freedom, my first year had very few opportunities. I should have time to hunt the haul road in late AUG/ early SEP. Would you recommend the 5 mile walk or to go archery only for caribou? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a IBEP Bow cert card? If not you can not hunt of the haul rd with a bow. SO the 5 miles would be your only option. Aug the 5 mile is a rough walk. In mid sept when lakes tend to freeze walking is alittle easier.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Go with the bow.

Go with the bow. It is an easy hunt. If you walk the five miles you will probably have to take 2 trips to get the meat and antlers out. Walking across five miles of tundra is not easy.

Thumbs up Agree with Dave...

I did the 5 mile in, even though I had my bow with me. (with two rifle hunters and I brought my rifle) Never again. Plenty of bou near the road, and the five mile walk even in the early part of Oct was rough. This year I will be near the road with my bow...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I would take both, bowhunt first and if you don't have any luck then walk the 5 miles and shoot one with the rifle. There's an old road a little north of Galbreath Lake that leads to an old staging area, it's on the left as you drive north. We parked down there and camped and did the 5 mile hike, it really wans't that bad of a pack but don't drive down that road, we ended up getting a ticket for parking down there and so did a few others.

Thanks for the input, I am IBEP certified, I think I'll plan on bowhunting but have my rifle in case things aren't looking good. I hope to, and should have at least 10 days to hunt. I'm really looking forward to it.

10 days will be more then enough time up there for you. 5 days was the most I have ever stayed up there. Good Luck.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ibep

OK what is IBEP certifacation card and who needs it and were to get it.

IBEP is just a bowhunter certification course, similar to regular hunting safety courses. Any fish and game office should have the local schedule for classes. Most bowhunting only areas require certification.