Thread: Juneau Deer

Default Juneau Deer

So, with this nice coating of snow, I decided it would be perfect to hit the mountain today.

Hit the front side of Douglas island (cannot fully disclose location)

Hunted some meadows, cut fresh tracks where we spooked what looked like by the tracks a decent sized animal.....Tried to run it down the whole day, took me all the way up into the alpine. I never saw it except for its but as it went into some timber. I ran out of time and had to be down to go to work so I couldnt pursue any longer.

On the way down I ran into a few fresh deer beds, as well as lots of fresh tracks.

All the tracks seemed to be concentrated around timbered brush with decent sized creeks nearby, so I would focus efforts there.

That being said, the area I hunt I grew up hunting and I saw no sign in the typical areas you see sign. It definately seems with this first snowfall that deer numbers are down on Douglas, however I was able to manage finding a few pockets of where they were hanging out. I would focus on dense areas...

Hope this helps..

FYI snow dept at 2,000ft or so was about 12-15 inches and powder with a slight crust underneathe of it. Tempatures were freezing as evident by my froze wool pant legs...

Default Admiralty over the weekend

I went out to Admiralty (also an undisclosed location), and my observations were similar. I did not see sign where I had seen it consistently in years past, but rather small pockets of poo, followed by long distances of just nothing at all. We ended up seeing two, and shot one. Also saw two winterkills within 5 minutes of the beach.

Default Douglas

OneLung -

I too hit douglas today. Got a the go ahead from the old lady this morning, and I was gone. Figured it would be perfect for tracking right after this fresh blanket of snow. Hiked almost into the Alpine then side hilled until I hit a set of tracks then I turned and followed them down into the timber. They led into other deer tracks, and then to more. There were at least 4 deer that were in the area. I picked the biggest set, and followed them for about 2.5 miles. I never saw him but I know I got close because the tracks turned into a dead run in the last half mile. They are there but pretty thin. A fresh snow to track them is the best way I see.

Yeah I followed a big set of tracks forever....And I knew I was right on him cause I could see where he'd stop, turn around and look down towards where I came from, then would run.....he started getting wore down at the end.....ran for only 10 yards then would walk again....but then he took my into cliff hell and I said screw that as it was 11:00am and I had to be at work @ 4:00PM so I wanted time to cool off and shower and the likes....Saw lots of porqupines though lol...

We found sign of a monster buck at an undisclosed location, its still living though, I guess we'll let him impregnate a doe or two before we take him... you know to keep numbers up...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default going back

If all goes right I can get back up there thur. Soggy? You down? Im going early, and not coming back till dark. I'll report back.

Jacob and I found a few sets of nice tracks this last weekend... and jumped a couple deer - one was large.

The hike was easy by regional standards, but it still destroyed my leg.

I can say that I totally concur with OneLung ...

"All the tracks seemed to be concentrated around timbered brush with decent sized creeks nearby..."

Our biggest tracks and most "activity" (which was the sound of them jumping and running) were in this type of terrain. Moreso in areas that are getting more sunlight/warmth.

There were a couple (at least) big deer leaving good trails through the sunny side of the valleys onn the way up.... We topped out at subalpine meadows and took another route out. The meadows had smaller deer tracks, and big people tracks.

Watch the sun, and the creeks.

I wish I could go again, but I have hung it up for the year.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-