Thread: MRE Goodness!

Default MRE Goodness!

It's exercise time here in Korea so I'll share some of my favorite MRE (meal ready to eat) recipies.

The following ingredients can be found in the Beef Roast w/ Vegetables MRE.

1 packet cocoa powder beverage
    1 packet non-dairy creamer
    1 packet sugar
    1 packet instant coffee

Combine ingredients with about 6 oz of water for a starbucks-like coffee surprise!

From the Ham slice MRE

1 ham slice entree
    1 packet jalapeno cheese spread
    1 packet crackers

Make a ham and cheese cracker sandwich! YUMMY!

Chocolate pound cake pudding

1 pound cake
    1 packet non-dairy creamer
    1 packet sugar
    1 packet cocoa mix

smash all ingredients up in pound cake package with a bit of water and heat with the dashboard heater! FANTASTIC!

For a wonderful pig roast

1 omelet with ham MRE
    1 live pig
    1 fire

Feed the omelet to the pig. After it dies roast over fire.

Thank you for that great posting. It took me back to my Vietnam day and cooking with C-RATS.

The mind of the American fighting Man never stops amazing me!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

That's pretty funny! I was thinking, "Hey i've done all of these" until i got to the last one and spewed some fairly good amber ale over the screen. Thanks for the chuckle!

Hey, they make those MRE's in my old home town. I tried most of them, and they're not bad.

They are bad, if that's all you got to eat for months on end. Believe me after months of that turkey loaf, and canned vienna style sausage, powdered eggs. Your ready for just about anything different.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Having had to eat the old C-rats, the "original" MREs, (and who can forget the dehydrated beef patties?) and the current MRE's, the new ones are a heck of a lot better than anything in the past.
    But I have to admit, that last recipe was sure tempting. Now all I need to do is try and find a pig that will eat that omelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Now all I need to do is try and find a pig that will eat that omelet.
    Good luck. They got rid of the omelete in 97' but for some ungodly reason brought it back for 06'. I won't even try the "new and improved" omelete.

After many (to many) meals of C-Rats even the Long range patrol rations (LRPR's) tasted good. But not for long!

I've had enough MREs to last me my lifetime. I don't even like to bring Mountain Houses on trips as they are too reminiscent.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I have to agree growing up as a kid with my father in the Army I used to steal his C-rats (peaches, cookies, chocolate go figure) and thought they were good, he was never thrilled that I took his prize stash of goodies though.

After joining the Army and eating the old and new style MRE's and LRRPS and Arctic meals I hate all of them and will throw Maxwell House in there as well. I will eat them when I have no other choice but thats its.

The idea of getting the pig to eat the omelet then roasting the pig is the single best recipe for MRE's I have run across!

The only two things I liked in MRE's were the cherry nut cake and the 4 fingers of death and they stopped making both of them. Aside from those the M&M's are good but there is something not right about chocolate that will not melt in 130 degree heat!

Mark

I like some MRE selections much more than C-rats and Mountain House.

I especially like Tasty Bite commercial "MREs" in Indian menus. They're much cheaper than Mountain House meals, and if you cook up a pot of rice and pour the Tasty Bite over the rice, it turns out to be a pretty decent meal, darned cheap, and darned easy.

MREs are real handy in a snowmobile hot-dogger...........

Isn't that an oxymoron??? MRE Goodness???

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Isn't that an oxymoron??? MRE Goodness???
    Yeah just like Military Intelligence!

I'm keeping the "good" ones and going to TMO them to Alaska. I figure having a few in the trunk/on the boat/in the snowmachine isn't a bad idea.

They do, contrary to popular belief, have a shelf life. I had some rot from the inside out in about a year the last time I was deployed.

The shelf life seems to be related by what temperature they are stored at and how regular the temperature is. 5-10 years at 0 F is about the max.
    Chris Willhoite