Thread: 300 win mag handloads

Default 300 win mag handloads

I am thinking of starting handloading. I have helped a buddy of mine before, and he is giving me all his "old" reloading stuff if I load pistol (10mm) rounds for him when he needs them. It's a complete set of lee and RCBS stuff. The only thing I think I would going to get is a digital powder scale. Anyways I recently purchased a 300 wm encore barrel. Being a 28" barrel is it worth handloading ammo for it. In other words, would I see an advantage over using factory ammo in terms of velocity/energy, and still get good accuracy? And if so, how much advantage would I be looking at -in other words would it be worth it. I don't shoot that much now, but would probably shoot more if I start reloading. Any load reccomendations?
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I suggest you try a slower powder (RL-22 is my favorite), and bullets in the 180-200 range. Check the reloading manual that has the brand of bullets you prefer, and you should do fine.

Lightbulb My .300 win mag load

Works great in my ruger mkII. I worked this up from info out of the barnes book for the original barnes x bullet as recommended by barnes.

I costs me 1.50 a round to reload compared to 3.00 a round when I buy federal.
    My favorite so far for hunting.

cci lrge rifle magnum primer
    74 grns rl22
    180grn barnes triple shock
    This shoots 2 inches or less, sometimes touching 3 shot groups at 200 yrds in my ruger mkII .300win mag with stainless barrel and factory laminate stock. 2.75 inches high at 100yards 0 at 200yards. Velocity and accuracy could possibly be better in your 28inch barrel if your rifle likes the load.

2953fps with 77grns Max load!
    2896fps with 74grns recommended
    2876fps with73 grns

77grns was a little hot though. It split a couple case necks on my 3rd reloaded federal brass. The nickle or chrome plated stuff.Not the best brass for handloading it gets brittle.

Just an idea for you.

Thumbs up Reloader 22

Second Reloader 22 @ 76.0 with 180 gr bullets.....but I use WLR primers.
    Alaska

You can almost certainly beat factory load velocity with careful selection of components, but that may not be "best." Each rifle is different, and some will shoot max loads better, while others will want to be a little lower than max for best accuracy. All you can do is experiment with a variety of components to see which your individual rifle prefers, then choose among the loads you work up for which is the most accurate while delivering the velocity you want.

Thanks guys. I think i am going to give it a whirl this winter while I'm sitting in the fish house and the only thing biting are the "bottle bass" Looks like I have a few starting points.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Reloading is at it's best as a slow, thoughtful process, so you're on the right track.

BTW- My son-in-law has a Ruger M-77 in 300, and factory loads averaged around an inch and a half. We tinkered with bullets and powders on and off over the course of a winter and found loads for both the 180 Hornady and the 180 Nosler partition that average below an inch while delivering top velocity. He shoots the Hornady for practice and the Nosler for hunts. Well worth all the effort and time!

I used a 180gr Accubond on my white tail buck last year and it preformed as advertised. IMR4350, RL-22, IMR7828 all worked good and had good velocities with excellent accuracy in my Ruger Mk II Stainless 300Win Mag. 300Win Mag is a great round.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS