Thread: Port Chalmers Cabin Condition

Default Port Chalmers Cabin Condition

I posted this on the Boating Forum.....

Anyone been out at the cabin this season. Me and some friends have it reserved next week. Trying to find out how its holding up? If there is anything I should bring along. Also I understand theres bunks, does anyone know how many. There will be four of us on this trip.

Any info would be great.

AH

I did a search on that cabin and this is what I found:

"Port Chalmers Cabin is equipped with wooden bunks, table, benches, wood and oil stove for heat, and an outhouse. Mattresses and cooking utensils are not provided. Cabin users should bring their own sleeping bags, pads, cook stoves, cooking gear, and food."

I stayed in a cabin in PWS a few years back and it was nice but the bunks were made of plywood so I would bring an air or foam matress. I believe ther was 2 sets of bunkbeds in it.

Default Thanks,

I'll be sure to post a report for those that are interested.

AH

AH,
    I was there two years ago. There are 4 bunks, bring a pad. Also bring diesel for the stove. We used about 3 gallons for 4 days. Plan to walk to get into the deer this late in the season, the area around the cabin has been hit hard. We walked about a mile around the cove to the first major stream, once we crossed that we started seeing deer. We even killed a few.

Default Cabin

Arctic Hunter,

I was there this summer (August). The Cabin is in fair condition. Unless you have a Jet boat, or very shallow draft, plan on packing in your gear about a half a mile. The little bay infront of the cabin drains dry at low tide. I saw a doe on the beach across from the cabin ealier in the year; she was real skitish.

The cabin has bunks that sleep 6. 6 would be cozy, but you can technically get 2 men on each bottom bunk (2 bunks) and 1 man on each top bunk. It's a small cabin so 6 guys would be alot. We were just 2 and it was fine. Bring your mattress pads, the plywood is hard.

I did not try the fuel oil stove, we used the wood stove. If I recall there were saws and a splitting maul.

At $35 per night it is a real bargain.

Bring a copy of your reservation confirmation, you may have to shoo off squatters. Also, It is a pain in the ***** to find in the dark and it gets dark early this time of year.

Have a safe successful hunt.

Tom