Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sheep Hunting Draw Hunts

Default Best Sheep Hunting Draw Hunts

Can I get a little bit of advice as to the absolute best draw units to hunt Dall Sheep.

The criteria is; trophy quality rams, relatively low pressure, accessibility via air taxi, and overall quality of the hunt.

What would be your top choices based on my criteria?
    Marc Theiler

Talking Don't Put in for

the ones I put in for!!! :-) Check the draw supplement. The ones most people put in for are most likely to meet your criteria.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Red face

I would consider two things in putting in for permits, the odds and the location. I mean it does no good to put in for a place you would really like to hunt and is convenient to get to say Crescent Lake when the odds are you will never get that permit in your lifetime. I think it may be the lowest draw odds ever except for 123. But if you want the most accessable hunts considering the trophy potential they are probably the 14C ram permits. But you may not get one in your lifetime….
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    Can I get a little bit of advice as to the absolute best draw units to hunt Dall Sheep.

The criteria is; trophy quality rams, relatively low pressure, accessibility via air taxi, and overall quality of the hunt.

What would be your top choices based on my criteria?
    Since I have never drawn a sheep tag I can't answer your questions but to find the best odds for drawing a tag, look on the back of the supplements.

Default draw

not going to find it, all the areas get plenty of preasure, trophy quality is down and overall quality of the hunt is VERY subjective

The only real difference is in the odds of getting drawn

Default my 2 cents

I have drawn 14C permits 2 out of the last three years (I feel the collective scorn). The problem one year was weather. But the other year was to many hunters. In some draw units there is 24 hunters per year exclusive to that area and then there is the Bow hunt in OCT. The areas I was in the trophy quality was low and the access was difficult. The country is very rugged and the sheep are very high in AUG. We saw lots of sheep and stalked some that after many hours of glassing we decided were not legal much less trophy quality (any full curl ram is a trophy in my eyes) I have heard Ship creek drainage has good trophy quality but access is very difficult.

I too have similar questions on the winter draw. However, my qualifications are a little different.

1) Acessible by road or water
    2) Any Legal Ram
    3) somewhat decent odds of both permit and hunting success (don't we all....)

Unhappy Whats the secret?

JKB: Toss me and ak45 a bone. How do you get drawn for a Ram permit? I am starting to get superstitious, what do you do to increase your chances? I have heard some suggestions, like put DR in front of your name. Slipping a 50 spot in with the application. Sending it rather than doing online, etc. Maybe you could fill out our applications as a party permit for East fork area. What do you think?

1911- "Decent odds of a hunting permit and success" Are you kidding? Look at the odds of drawing which are decreasing every year. Then look at harvest summaries and odds of harvest are even lower. If a guy had any brains he would save his money and do a fly out some day. I dont have brains so I keep applying and taking my yearly punishment.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    1911- "Decent odds of a hunting permit and success" Are you kidding? Look at the odds of drawing which are decreasing every year. Then look at harvest summaries and odds of harvest are even lower. If a guy had any brains he would save his money and do a fly out some day. I dont have brains so I keep applying and taking my yearly punishment.
    Yes, I was kidding... Would be nice though....

One thing I did notice after reviewing the Draw Permit supplements was that a number of the sheep permits went down this year. For instance hunt DS139 went from 30 tags to 20. Thats a significant drop in tags and there are other areas that went down as well. With more hunters putting in and less tags being given out one would almost be better off just going to a general sheep hunt area...........but I'd rather give F&G my money and THEN find another place to hunt.

Default Draw Hunts

Sheep draw numbers are down in most of the 14C hunts to reflect declining poulations. I drew 14C last year. I'd rate it as one of my worst sheep hunting experience. Odds are 5% or less for all but the bowhunts, so make your picks based on when/where you want to hunt. I think most/all of the serious sheep hunters just plan their general area hunt and then if drawn you can switch gears.

Default I wish I knew

[quote=Sollybug;166232]JKB: Toss me and ak45 a bone. How do you get drawn for a Ram permit? I am starting to get superstitious, what do you do to increase your chances? I have heard some suggestions, like put DR in front of your name. Slipping a 50 spot in with the application. Sending it rather than doing online, etc. Maybe you could fill out our applications as a party permit for East fork area. What do you think?

The first year I did a single application the second was a party nothing special. oh wait a minute there was that bottle of holy water and the 20 days of fasting

Unhappy

"20 days of fasting" Then I am SOL. I had to fast for 12 hours for a blood panel and I wasnt sure I would live. I can get the holy water, but what do I do with it? I was also thinking of drinking a black ram ale while filling out my application for good luck. Cant hurt.

Talking about the number of sheep permits going down, look at the Kenai goats. The odds of drawing are nasty and some areas are closed and others are reduced. Combined with the Chugach going to draw we are getting farther and farther from the good old days and heading towards, I dont know... But for a guy that prefers to hunt in the mountains its not looking good.

Default still nothing like it

sitting above a band of sheep that don't have a care in the world, whether a guy can harvest one or not there is no better place to be.

Default Can anyone suggest more units to think about

Could someone please post some units to think about applying for?
    So far all anyone has recommended was 14C.
    Marc Theiler

Based on your criteria, the Tok Management Area seems like a good bet, as does the Delta Controlled Use Area late season hunt. As has been mentioned, though, no sheep hunts offer a good chance of actually drawing a tag. Once a tag is in hand, though, the above areas seem like they would fit.

Or...apply for ewe tags. The draw rate for those is far higher. Trophy quality, however....well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Oh, and the new unit 13D drawing hunts might be worth a shot. Who knows? It's a total crap-shoot as to what the draw rate will be. Maybe you'll have a really good chance at drawing one of these tags, as the hunt is brand new.

I was drawn for TMA this year, I saw one 3/4 curl ram due to over hunting in the area I was in. It really doesnt matter what unit you hunt as long as you do your homework. I would say almost any draw will get you a trophy, if you work at it. I would stay away from the new draws and I would side with Brian. TMA and DCUA both have trophy rams. As for 14C thats the area Tony Russ got his monster out of (if memory serves me right), he just got out away from the people. Good luck and do your homework.

Default do your homework

No matter what you draw, do your homework. Sometimes that requires $$$ - sometimes that reqires time and leg work - sometimes we just get lucky. Still trying to find the perfect combination of the three myself, but I'll get there sooner or later and I'll be glad for it.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

How about ANWR? That seems like it fits your criteria perfect, pretty high draw rate too...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast