Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 2 news report monday night

Default Channel 2 news report monday night

I thought somebody would have posted about this. Was just a little wierd I thought. They were talking about those two hunters in 06that poached a moose inDNP. Sounds like they are getting offcheap with about $4,000 in fines. They never mentioned about confiscating theirwheeler(s) that they used. Then they proceeded onto Poaching in general and I think a group that is trying to crack down onit. But their footage was of the Katmai hunt showing bears walking around with those hunter in the back ground. Seemed to me like they labeled bear hunters as Poachers. Then they showed what looked like older footage of wolf predator control. Shooting from the aircraft and dropping a wolf. That might have been footage of an actual poacher, but looked like predator control to me. So if it was now they labeled the pilots and gunners who are permitted by the state and legal to do so now as Poachers too. I was surprised to see such a combination of footage and terms put together to make a story.

Default Alaska Poaching

I too was offended by their choice of pictures depicted as illegal. We sure know where they stand on these issues. Thank you for bringing it to the attention of this forum.

Default fired up

Yes, I was at a friends house collecting a little money he owed me and what do I see on the boob-tube? Couldn't believe my eye's. You would think that in Alaska the liberal news media would not be so bold as to try and pull such a stunt. I'm still fired up about this and let me tell you, my friend and I both were yelling at the t.v.
    That Katmai footage has gotten such milage with the liberal press. Were do they get off reporting about poachers and showing footage of two activities which are totally legal in the state.. They could as much as say that they think all bear hunting in or near Katmai is poaching and that anyone who participates in airial wolf control is a poacher. That is what they where representing in their broadcast. I don't even think you can label it as REPORTING. Just shows how the liberal mindset works. "Wolf and bear hunting bad. Such activities should be outlawed. All bear and wolf hunters are poachers at heart and should be shunned from society". And for you bleedin hearts out there who are going to get on here and spout your "I'm a life long Alaskan and hunter and I don't think airial wolf hunting or bear hunting in the Katmai is right because.....blah,blah,blah', well why don't you just go take a powder or go plant a tree or something. There is no arguement that justifies how the news media represents hunters today.
    On a side note looks like the gunner nailed that wolf in the guts the way it was spinning around. I can see how the greenies get a little quezzy when they see something like that.. For me I only get quezzy when it's a little bumpy and I'm trying to line up for a good shot.

Looks like someone there in the news media is helping to push the ideas of environmentalist groups. They are once again trying to get preditor control on the ballot, so they are setting the stage for their win again by brain washing the non hunting public. Just like they did last time.

Default The media lied?

Say it ain't so... they used stock footage of a similar, but clearly not the same, activity in their story? You mean like how they show pictures of caribou in the brooks range followed by shots of Texas oil fields when they talk about drilling the ANWR coastal plain? Why would this surprise anyone?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Surprised? No

I'm not surprised by the activity of local chan. 2, I'm just sick of it. I finally disconnected the antenna cable to my t.v. as there really was nothing worth watching.. Occasionally I will throw in a hunting dvd or watch my favorite dvd from the Alaska Trappers Assoc. on wolf trapping techniques.. Very educational stuff.
    My new goal in life is to be as politically incorrect as possible when I'm in the public arena.. If you really want to tick em off, wear a wolf or beaver hat in public. REI is a great place to go and hang out. Ask the chick with the nose ring where they keep the rifle ammunition. Get creative. The news media does.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    Ask the chick with the nose ring where they keep the rifle ammunition. Get creative. The news media does.
    hahahaha! that was awsome! i'll have to try that

Two words: file footage (actually two more: lazy reporting and file footage.)

Default mtnman

mtnman - You are dead on!
    I live among an army of those granola people. I loved dragging my hunting boat on the ferry moving down here with all my gun cases, and camo gear. Of course there were about 20 or more granola's on there trying to stare me down. It was great there were about 6 stuffed in every run down subaru station wagon.

Default I don't know what their problem is

at channel 2 news. I am glad I was not the only one who saw it and feels this way. I didn't know if I had misunderstood the point or took one side of the story. But I was pretty sure I knew what I heard and saw. Just makes you wonder if they really know what they are saying and comprehend the consenquenses or if they know and just don't care, or if the writter is a greenie and just wants to get their "views and points" across to who ever will listen. I am still confused or baffled to why they would combine three different activities; Bear hunting, Wolf control, and poaching-illegal activity none the less, to make one story.

Default right on

Subaru seems to have the corner on the hippy market. You can always spot em. Usually they've got the peace sign sticker in their rear window right next to the "I support our troops, just not the war" b.s.
    When I saw that clip Channel 2 did I was talking with a friend who just retired from the Army. In fact he was just showing me his new I.D. card when that came on and what do you think followed the poaching clip.. That's right, they did this tribute slide show of all our fallen soldiers who have died in Iraq. Now that's all well and good and those guys are real heroes but you know that is all I see happening in Iraq being covered by the news. When is the last time you saw a report about a bridge being built or a school being built..The news machine is uncanny for sniffing out the p.o.ed vet who doesn't agree with the war but do you think they give equal time to the vet that was wounded and is doing everything in his power to get back over there so he can accomplish his mission. I wish they would interview some of the Marines I know coming back from over there. They all say where doing good things.
    Hunting is no different. Nothing you can do to change their way of thinking that is for sure. When I see Ch. 2 misrepresenting hunters in general (showing a legal activity while reporting on poachers) I have to admit it gets under my skin. All the more reason to hand it right back at em. Most of these people are so emotion driven that they are easy targets. Now go out there and have some fun!

Default Thought I was the only one..

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    Subaru seems to have the corner on the hippy market. You can always spot em. Usually they've got the peace sign sticker in their rear window right next to the "I support our troops, just not the war" b.s.
    When I saw that clip Channel 2 did I was talking with a friend who just retired from the Army. In fact he was just showing me his new I.D. card when that came on and what do you think followed the poaching clip.. That's right, they did this tribute slide show of all our fallen soldiers who have died in Iraq. Now that's all well and good and those guys are real heroes but you know that is all I see happening in Iraq being covered by the news. When is the last time you saw a report about a bridge being built or a school being built..The news machine is uncanny for sniffing out the p.o.ed vet who doesn't agree with the war but do you think they give equal time to the vet that was wounded and is doing everything in his power to get back over there so he can accomplish his mission. I wish they would interview some of the Marines I know coming back from over there. They all say where doing good things.
    Hunting is no different. Nothing you can do to change their way of thinking that is for sure. When I see Ch. 2 misrepresenting hunters in general (showing a legal activity while reporting on poachers) I have to admit it gets under my skin. All the more reason to hand it right back at em. Most of these people are so emotion driven that they are easy targets. Now go out there and have some fun!
    that made the Hippie/Subaru connection - glad to see it's not just my imagination (paranoia?)..
    Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

Default Good ol' journalisitc integrity

Definitely not suprising, but still REALLY ****ING ANNOYING. Great idea here. A few people should send that news station some of their own footage and pictures. WHEN (not if) they use your media to make another bogus story that's accessible to the TV vegetable audience, then you have a great chance to raise a legitimate fuss about it. Even if another local channel feels the same way about hunting, they would jump at the chance to run a piece on how the other channel blew it and used the wrong footage for their agenda. It seems a little lowbrow but its nothing compared to 99% of all journalism It's a little worrisome to hear about this kind of visual propoganda with elections coming up, but have faith. Alaskans were smart enough to not vote for Tony Knowles last year. An even better idea would be to start our own news network, but I dont have that kind of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    Two words: file footage (actually two more: lazy reporting and file footage.)
    I'm thinking the same thing. Ignorant editor or some intern who took the footage they had around that probably was marked wrong anyhow. Its very likely thats its just lack of knowledge rather than any sort of conspiracy. If you were a nonhunter really how would you know what the difference would be in what the footage would look like between a hunter and a poacher.

Just like when they report on ANWR and show beautiful mountanous areas. Most of the ANWR is flat and desolate! But that doesn't make good video or strike any emotional chords.
    Last edited by AKmud; 11-06-2007 at 22:23.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hate to burst a bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    Two words: file footage ...
    I hate to break up a good conspiracy theory, but Alaskaflyer331 is right on here.

News outlets are for-profit corporations, and they try to expand margins by cutting costs. One way to do that is to pay your staff as little as you can get away with.

Another is, in the video news business, to keep staffing costs down by re-using footage.

So the producer says 'We need some B-roll footage on this story,' and the intern or most junior person on staff goes to the database and knows the story is about hunters, so he finds the most recent stuff they've got with a "hunt" tag. Or he knows its about an animal getting killed, so he looks for those tags.

And the producer is trying to put together six other stories, so he grabs some time out of the stock footage, puts it under the narrative, and moves on.

Costs a lot less than flying a crew out to the scene of the crime.

Darned free enterprise system...

Default kill it.

Mauser man, you sure know how to kill a good thread. Just when it was getting entertaining. While your probably correct, it don't make it right.

Default Working as a cameraman/editor...

Mauser is right, I used to catalog broll for an unamed tv personality in anchorage...I knew exactly what was going on when someone mentioned the Katimai hunt, as being shown when reporting this poaching incident.

Default okay but

Okay, stock footage, I can buy that, seems logical enough. The thing is the Katmai issue was just in the news and a real hot topic. Same with the wolf control issue which may be more under the microscope than Katmai. I can see them using footage of a couple guys stalking a bear. Those guys are obviously hunting whether it's legal or not but they are hunting.. Where do they make the connection between someone conducting airial wolf control and poaching.
    Sorry, I don't buy into the stock footage line as easily as all that. Are you telling me this is the only footage they have on file of people hunting? That is a stretch. I tend to think they use every opportunity they get to throw the poor wolf getting gunned down by the Red Barron in the sky footage. It reminds the weak stomached public of the issue so the next time some dude is soliciting for signatures at Costco or Home Depot Joe Shmuckatelly who is on the fence will take the time to stop and put his name on the list of anti's. That poor wolf getting gut shot pops into his head and he grabs the pen. Makes him feel better when he looks in the mirror at night.
    Just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not right.

This kinda goes back to the ban commercial bear viewing thread, but how many of you have invited the media to go with you to show what a legal, proper hunt looks like (maybe you can get some good b-roll in)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast