Thread: Tanana River

Default Tanana River

Does anyone know the status of the Tanana River near Fairbanks, and when it can be safely crossed by snowmachine?

Default Not yet

This was just talked about in another thread, but let's do it again because it is important. We watched a fox cross the ice on the Chena, but no way would I let my lab out on that ice, much less try it on my own.
    The Tanana is the same way. Ice chunks have been flowing, but the main channel is not freezing. It will take a couple of sub zero weeks at least to get it frozen hard enough to be safe. Keep an eye on the weather. If it is cold for a short spell, and warms up again, all bets are off as to it being safe to cross.
    Be patient. Go back and do a search on Tanana or ICE and see what others said just this past week.

Met a guy out surveying last friday on snowmachine. He had a special GPS unit and was following trails. He had crossed the Chena several times, but he said he was being real careful. The river was only frozen in spots, other places were still open. No way I'd try and cross the Tanana. Not till febuary for me.