Thread: Leupold Vari X II 2x7 owners?

Default Leupold Vari X II 2x7 owners?

I recently purchased a Vari X II 2x7 variable power scope and noticed that the magnification selector ring is very stiff to move from one power to another. I know quite a few folks on the forum use this same scope and I was curious if you had the same experience?

I have several other Leupold models but none of them are nearly as difficult to move from power to power.

MostVx1's & Vx11's are stiff in the beginning, don't sweat it as it will loosen up!

Great scopes those Vx11's, enjoy.

Sometime if your scope is binding in the rings or you have it clamped down too tightly they don't want to change power. I'd check your rings. Either have them lapped in or switch to burris signature style with the plasitc inserts.

Try just loosening the rings and see if that helps, then you will know if it is a ring issue.

Seems to be the nature of the beast with VX-II's. My two 20+ year-old 2x7's are still stiff, and my 30+ year-old 3x9 isn't a lot looser. I never considered it a problem though.

For me, the relatively short eye relief of the VX-II's can be a problem on guns with really heavy recoil, though. Not a problem even on standard magnums up through 338 or so, but move into a lighter 375 or bigger, and you can get bit if you aren't paying attention. Put one on my very light 54 cal inline muzzleloader and it will bite you every single time you pull the trigger, no matter how you hold it. The VX-III's have enough more eye relief that they are my standard for big boomers.

Default scope

I just bought a brand new Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 mm long range and it is also very stiff. I was just thinking it was that way because it was new. But I love the scope and if it stays like that then that is OK and if not then that is OK to...As long as it works. So it sounds like that is just the way they are made.

Default Vx Ii

Yea I've had the same problem. I own two of these scopes, one was fine, the other was stiff. I figured it would loosen up. I think it got worse, or maybee I got weaker, but I sent it in and Leupold fixed it. Excelllent customer service as usual.

-BTW, I think VX-II 2-7 are the schiznit for any hunting rifle.

Default Yep

Own one on my 375 H&H. Stiff. I have never needed any more then 2x on what I have shot. Great scope!

Ron

Default thanks for the feedback

A bit more info - the scope was stiff right out of the box so I don't believe it is an overtight ring issue.

Eye relief is actually quite good on this model which is one of the reasons I chose it for the .375 Ruger Hawkeye (gosh, I hope it's enough BrownBear!). There isn't really any tube adjustment length to play with between the rings but fortunately for me, it fits. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I've got some trial loads worked up and I'm itching to.

I did contact Leupold about this condition and I specifically asked them if it would loosen up over time...the customer service rep didn't think it would and recommended that I send it to them for service, so Tom maybe I'll go that route as well.

As always, thanks for feedback.

Austin

I have one on my 30-06 that is pushing 30 and is still stiff. Never bothered me one bit out hunting or at the range. The used one I bought a couple years ago is the exact same.

That is my scope of choice for the .22 rim-fire rifles. Have you tried to loosen the tension screw on the power ring?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That is my scope of choice for the .22 rim-fire rifles. Have you tried to loosen the tension screw on the power ring?
    Big Al, I was looking through the manual and Leupold specifically warns you not to loosen the screw on the power selection ring - evidently it would compromise the internal gas that is sealed within.

I was looking through the manual and Leupold specifically warns you not to loosen the screw on the power selection ring - evidently it would compromise the internal gas that is sealed within.
    I read the same thing, I don't think I would mess with it!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I had the same problem on a Leupold VXII 2x7.
    I contacted Leupold, and they said they could fix it.
    I sent it to them.
    It came back without any noticable difference.
    I gave it away recently.
    I don't like Leupold anyway. I prefer Bushnell.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.