Thread: riding gear

Default riding gear

I have been out of the state for nearly 10 years and am finaly back with just enough coin to get into sledding. I am now the proud owner of a 04 800 efi mountain cat. I got it used with only 271 miles on it! Well I have a marmot thunder ridge jacket (basically a precip shell with poly zip in liner) I haven't been out riding in it and I would hate to make a 100 mile one way trip to find I am too cold to enjoy myself. My wife has absolutely no decent winter gear. I am looking for recomendations on good gear for a reasonable price. I have been looking at Klim but it is a little beyond "reasonable" in my book. I am not realy interested in getting manufacturer gear since I am leaning toward getting new Yamaha 4 strokes when I can get Nytro's used and would look silly in Yamaha gear on my AC or vice versa. i have been to the Arctiva website and they don't break down what type of riding each jacket/bib is for. I hope you get the just of what I am looking for here. I plan on riding local trails with the wife on our old 2up 550 couger around Big Lake, and frequently taking the 1M up to Hatchers and Petersville to get in the powder and hills.

Default Get what you pay for.

Lujon,

I do a lot of riding, as does my family. We wear Klim and Reima. Reima is now Scott brand. I learned long ago, "When the wife is having fun, we all get to enjoy life a little more."
    In my past life, when I chartered, I can not say how many times I have seen a husband drag his wife along for a great day of fishing and it's raining and blowing. He is wearing his all new, top of the line Goretex extreme weather gear and she is sporting his oversized, waterlogged Carharts and he can't understand why she doesn't enjoy halibut fishing. I've seen this same thing over and over again on snowmobiles also.
    So with that being said, whatever you buy, make sure your wife has good waterproof, warm stuff and then get you something with the left over money.
    As for clothing, I shopped hard to find snow bibs for a woman with a drop seat so they can easily go to the bathroom. Scott (Reima) was the best I found. Make sure they are waterproof and best if you get a layered system.
    Good luck and hope this helps. Shop hard online and local stores for last years models. You can find some smokin' hot deals that way on top brand gear.

Found a local Arctiva dealer in the valley (Fish Creek Sales). Ended up outfitting me and the wife for under half what Klim would have cost at AMDS. I might have bought the klim gear at AKMDS but the sales staff never even aproached me. They talked to EVERYONE else but I guess the twentysomething with the 40K pickup in the parking lot trying on their expensive gear didn't deserve a "can I help you find anything" I have had much better service at the valley Yamaha dealer and Fish Creek Sales was excelent! I highly recomend them and they even gave me a military discount! I will post back when I field test the gear.