Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best binocular value

Default Best binocular value

I'm looking to get another pair of binoculars. I've thought about getting a pair of Swarvoskis or Leica's, but I have a problem spending that much money on something I could damage so easily (a scratched lense might make me cry). In your opinion what is the best value in the $400 to $800 range. Not necessarily the best, but the best for the buck. Right now I have a pair of Nikons that I like, but am curious about the Leupolds, Burris, Pentax, and whatever else that is under a grand. I have a bunch of different scopes, but only one pair of decent binoculars. I would be using these for packing in after Dall Sheep to Moose hunting out of a river boat and everything in between. Warranty is also a strong consideration for me. My Nikons have been back 3 times for warranty work in the past 8 years.
    Thanks

check out steiners, i have a pair of military marine 10x50's and cant say enough great things about them.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm a PENTAX fan. I have the 10x43 DCF SP's. Check out the new ED line of PENTAX binos. Call Doug at Cameraland. He'll hook you up.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Binocs

I have the Swarovski in 8x30 and the Leica in 10x42 Pony up! Their Great! If I didn't have these I'd consider having both the Minox HG ASPH in 10x42 and the Minox HG ASPH in 8.5x42.

Default Vortex?

A month or two ago Field & Stream gave a very good review of the Vortex 10x42 binocs (USA made)...I think it was their "best value" pick. I haven't looked through them but they sound like a very good piece of glass for substantially less than the European optics. I think they are in the 500-600 dollar range.

Forum Sponsor

The best options in that price range are the Minox HG's and the Vortex Razors.
    Please feel free to call me to discuss optics.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

I've read that when the Minox HG's came out they topped the Pentax SP's as the best bino for under $1,000. I have the Pentax SP's in 10x43 and a Pentax spotter and I'm extremely happy with both. If the HG's are even better then that's where I'd start my search.

Pentax has a lifetime no hassle warranty. Leupold has a great warranty as you probably already know. Burris has a lifetime warranty as well, but I have had friends encounter some problems with them, so I question their durability. Not sure of the Minox warranty.

I'd go after a Demo pair of HG's or SP's from Doug at Cameraland. Both of my Pentax listed above were Demo models from Cameraland and I couldn't tell if either had ever been taken out of the box. If your looking for a mid size bino, Doug had demo SP 8x32's for $299. That's a smokin price.

Forum Sponsor

Minox has a 30 year hassle free warranty
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default Ebay Options!!!

If you look on Ebay you can get some great deals on just about any type of binos. Got a pair of swarovski 8X30s 3 years ago for 390.00 and 10X42 for $850. You can get great brands at very discounted prices on there. Just an idea.

I got some Leupold Cascades 8x42 for 225, pretty nice. I thought they were much better than the nikons but thats me.

Default Good luck!

Western, good luck finding what fits you. When I was way younger money played a huge part in the acquisition of gear, now I can afford the Leicas etc. I would by anything recommended but Steiners, they are the not worth much. Sorry, no offense to anyone.

Pentax, Nikon, Cabelas proprietary brand, all good.

FYI

If you talk about "a pair of binoculars", you actually talk about TWO individual binos, like a 7 x 35 AND a 10 x 42 (or whatever). Most folks erroneously label ONE binocular as a pair, not so. The term BI-nocular already has "the pair" included, as in "bi", read two ocular (the things you look through, as opposed to the objective, which is the far end).

Never mind

Good luck Western, John

Check out Meopta. Pretty heavy but very bright and a great FOV.

I have a pair of Minox 10x43 HG's and really like them. I compared all the bino's, in that price range, at SW and found the Minox HG's were my favorite. I called Doug @ Camerland and paid substantially less than what SW would have charged.

Thanks for the advice. I never would have thought about Minox or Vortex. Never even heard of Vortex before.

I have used a pair of Leica Trinovid 8x42's I bought last year from Doug. There simply is no comparison between the Leica and anything else. It would be like trying to compare a Cadillac to a Chevette, or a Lincoln Continental to a Pinto.
    Get to a bino shop and check them out. Take the time to adjust the eyepieces to your eyes. Look at other glass. Once you step up, you'll never want to go back. I waited 15 years to be able to afford this level of quality. I wished I had scrimped a little more way back when.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman: Truer words have never been typed. We have two pairs in this house. And love them! No others comes close to Leica. E-bray is a good place to shop for used.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I love my Nikon Monarchs they are a little less than the $400 of the origional criteria and have been very comfortable for me for long periods of use. I doubt that I will upgrade beyond them even when I can afford to because I like them so much.

Default Zeiss

Check out the Zeiss Victory FL w/Lotutec that Cameraland New York has on a "demo" deal. Best price I have found and they are rated very high with the birding world.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I got some Leupold Cascades 8x42 for 225, pretty nice. I thought they were much better than the nikons but thats me.
    Hey schmidty_dog,

Where did you find them for that price? I've been doing a lot of looking and I think I like the Cascades best, they just look clearer to me.
    Thanks, Doug in AK
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Thumbs up alpen

just picked up a pair of alpen shasta ridge 8x42, phase corrected, fully multicoated on e-bay, brand new........ list price $348 got them for $90 which included shipping----keep the spendy leicas etc these are bright, clear and great!
    Last edited by kjashen; 12-15-2007 at 23:09. Reason: adding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast