Thread: Late Season Moose

Default Late Season Moose

Hello everyone i just found this sight a couple of days ago and wish i would have found it a little sooner. Lots of good info. I was wondering if anyone could help I was unable to take a moose during the september hunt as the army thought it better i do some training in southern california instead of hunt. My question is what tactics change with the later hunts after the snow is on the ground and temperatures drop. I will be hunting in 20B Nov 21-27 and have been scouting but not much luck. Any help would be much appreciated, it might be my last and only shot at a Moose up here.

Talking First off...welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mystryak View Post
    Hello everyone i just found this sight a couple of days ago and wish i would have found it a little sooner. Lots of good info. I was wondering if anyone could help I was unable to take a moose during the september hunt as the army thought it better i do some training in southern california instead of hunt. My question is what tactics change with the later hunts after the snow is on the ground and temperatures drop. I will be hunting in 20B Nov 21-27 and have been scouting but not much luck. Any help would be much appreciated, it might be my last and only shot at a Moose up here.
    Welcome to the site...yup...lots of good info out here.

IMO, I like to stick to the road systems during the morning and evening, morning espeically. You are able to cover more ground that way and the moose tend to move near the roads, powerlines etc. for feeding that time of day and they also stick out like sore thumbs against the snow. I'm not one for walking the trails, riding the trials or getting off the beatin path much in the FMA...it's just never worked for me, but I have had lots of success over the years working the roads. You just have to be careful about not only where you hunt, but where the moose will end up once you arrow him...like in someone's yard, just be careful.

I know people who get off the roads a lot and I'm not nockin that at all, just doesn't work for me.

Good luck!