Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gut Piles

Default Gut Piles

Was at Coal Mine Road today and drove under the pipeline pass to scare up a bunch of ravens who were all gathered around a moose gut pile dead center of the road just on the other side of the pipeline. I mean this gut pile was relatively new, big, and smack-dab in the center of the road. Vehicle traffic past that point left bloody tire tracks on up the road. There was no way past the gut pile without driving over part of it. The paunch was big and bloated and it looked like vehicles driving past didn't clear the gut pile and dragged parts of it off the top.

I don't understand how someone could leave a gut pile like that in the middle of the road. I wish the troopers had caught the individual(s) responsible. Seeing this today made me sick. Not because of the site, but because someone out there didn't care enough about the future of hunting to do the right thing. I see people out there shooting animals with little to no respect for the values of responsible hunting, not to mention common sense. I am sincerely concerned about the future of hunting in America, Alaska included!

What more can be done? More funding specifically for fish and wildlife protection law enforcement? Bigger fines? More self-policing among the community of responsible hunters (report violations, etc.)? More educational programs? I know this isn't a "new" problem, but it does seem to be more prevalent and certainly gets more scrutiny than in times past.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Was at Coal Mine Road today

What are your thoughts?
    It is a Cow Hunt. Nuf said.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It is a Cow Hunt. Nuf said.
    Meaning what? Are cow hunters less ethical/more likely to leave a mess??

why on earth would you drag a gut pile anywhere except away from a road???
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A cow hunt or a poach job, eigther way should of not been left in the roadway. Thats the kind of stuff that will kill hunting for us all.

Red face another thought

Its possible someone shot a cow right in the middle of that road. But another thought is that I am always finding gut piles, bones and hides from road kills near town. They are usually right were I am parking which also happens to be a convenient pull off to dump the remains from the road kill salvage. So technically the piles arent even from hunters! (Just another possibility)
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

It all comes down to ethics. Weather or not a poach job, cow hunt or a place to dump a gut pile there is no reason to put it in the middle of the road. Coal Mine road isnt that wide and there is no call for what was left there. It disgust's me to hear that. You spend enough time quartering up a moose why not spend the extra 10 minutes to haul the stuff to the side of the road. Its ashame to hear the shi**y stories of what people or those who call themselves hunters do. There is nothing that can be done as far as education to these hunters except catch them in the act and do a little on the spot counseling if you know what I mean. Im sure these are the same people who leave empty beer cans on the side of lakes during fishing season. No self respect, integrity, morales or ethics to keep things in their natural state so others can enjoy for years to come.

Do you think that just maybe a bear dragged the gut pile from where it originally was and ended up on the road where it was possibly scared by a coming vehicle/atv/snowmachine and left the gut pile mid progress? Lord knows I have caught bears doing that more than once. Just curious cuz you didn't mention seeing any other part of the carcass. Most moose hunters dont haul the whole moose away, they cut it up????

Talking

Im kinda think'n It might be another one of those;
    Alien Abduction
    Close Encounters
    Twilight Zone
    Type Thing's.. ?

Default Did you leave the gut pile there?

Becuase if you did, you've no right to complain about it...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Do you think that just maybe a bear dragged the gut pile from where it originally was and ended up on the road where it was possibly scared by a coming vehicle/atv/snowmachine and left the gut pile mid progress? Lord knows I have caught bears doing that more than once. Just curious cuz you didn't mention seeing any other part of the carcass. Most moose hunters dont haul the whole moose away, they cut it up????
    Come on man, your kidding right? I've hunted that area for years and have never seen a bear track on that road, nevermind a bear plus with all that snow out that way I seriously doubt that they are out wandering around looking for food. Sounds like someone shot that moose and it died on the road and they were to lazy to move it. Or maybe it was poached.

Default Preaching to the choir fellaas

I firmly believe that the folks that take the time to frequent this site are probably above the bar on appreciation and ethics, thus arguing or discussing among ourselves will only have a limited effect. So, in response to the first entry of this thread, I think we need to work more on educating fellow hunters on image and ethics....many hunters are new and with declining participation in hunting, many may not have had the guidance of a dad or uncle when many of us started hunting in our teens or earlier, when success wasn't all that high and our mentors held firmly to beliefs of tact, respect, ethics and image. So, let's all try to impart this to younger or less experienced hunters so that we can all continue to enjoy this unique privelege that we have here. AND, people tend to mirror what they see, so we must continue to hold ourselves to a higher standard, in hopes it will rub off on the next generation of hunting.

This incident was tacky to say the least and I am disappointed to hear of it...but just to point fingers won't do much good...we need to use this as an example of what not to do, and impart that wisdom to others.

Default Guidance

Guidance for hunting I think has little to do with it.

You would not leave a pile of snow in the road. Or, a pile of rocks. Why on earth would you leave a gut pile. It shows not only no respect for the sport of hunting, but for respect of others driving on the road. You are needlessly placing other peoples lives in jeropardy by creating a hazard.

It just shows a basic disrespect for anyone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Well Dave, I can't imagine to stem the lack of respect and courtesy population-wide, so I'll start with a group that is near and dear and work outwards....BUT, you are right, this is disrespectful on many levels.

Default gut piile

If the troopers had caught them, they would get a ticket for littering if they did not remove the guts from the road or from the side of the road. No kidding!

Default Sad isn't it.....

Quote Originally Posted by emrdux View Post
    If the troopers had caught them, they would get a ticket for littering if they did not remove the guts from the road or from the side of the road. No kidding!

That there would have to be a regulation for such a common sense scenario....

Well if it bothered you that much you should have got out of your vehicle and moved the crap over to the ditch.
    Of course starting a thread on here about it so everyone can whine and lamet the fact that there isn't a cop behind every tree makes sense too.

Default What can be done?

Did I move it out of the road? No. But, it wasn't for lack of trying. Moving the gut pile, which covered the width of the road pretty much, and without a shovel and considering the stuff was frozen to the ground and to itself and partially driven over just wasn't too successful.

My post was for the purpose of gathering comments on what people think could be done to lessen incidents like this that tarnish responsible hunters everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Come on man, your kidding right? I've hunted that area for years and have never seen a bear track on that road, nevermind a bear plus with all that snow out that way I seriously doubt that they are out wandering around looking for food. Sounds like someone shot that moose and it died on the road and they were to lazy to move it. Or maybe it was poached.
    Your kidding right? That is one of the most popular places for folks to kill griz in the Delta area. As a matter of fact 2 Oct's ago a monster Griz killed a cow at the fork to 7 mile lake and there was moose parts scattered for 20 yards on both sides of the fork (in the roads). I know several guys first hand that have kiled griz on gut piles and carcasses off Coal Mine year after year. Lots of incidental harvest in there during moose season too. Its a bear infested SOB but the bears know how to stay in the alders real well. Have seen some monster tracks on that road and have hunted it very hard for bears but never connected. And though I havent personally seen a bear dragging a gut pile in the coal mine area, I have seen it in other places. The guys said it was scattered all over the road, I doubt very *****ing highly that a hunter gutted a moose in the middle of the road and left the entire mess there to span the road, I mean cmon! So I am thinking about how else a gut pile got scattered all over the road. Wolves, coyotes, bears is more likely the cause IMO. But who knows.

Right.......a bear kills a cow moose and drags the guts in the road, thats ridiculous. I've hunted bears long enough to know that a grizz is not going to leave his food source without a fight and he **** sure isn't going to drag it onto the road when he can bury it and come back for it later. There's a cow hunt going on down there right now and i'd bet it was a hunter that shot it, gutted it and dragged the carcass into the back of his truck, thats why the original poster didn't say anything about the head of hide and he did say it was a fresh kill. I sure wish I saw a grizz everytime I went down there to hunt, especially near the road. I spent 8 days in there this fall moose hunting and saw 2 about 3/4's of the way up a steep mountain eating blueberries and that was it. Also saw lots of cows and calves in there too so there aren't near as many bears in there as you think, if there were we would have shot some of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast