Thread: Gunsmith in Alaska

Default Gunsmith in Alaska

Best Gunsmith in Alaska?

So, if you were to take your rifle in to have a trigger job, barrel, and general lap the lugs, crown and so forth: who would you go to ?

I've got two rifles built by Stan Jackson in Anchorage. I don't know that he's the "best" in the state....I've never had other Alaskan 'smiths do much work for me.

I do know that the metal work on these two rifles is very good, fair priced, and didn't take forever to complete. I have two different rifles at his shop now for new crowns. I expect to have them back in a week or less, at less than 1/2 what another "famous" gunsmith in Anchorage costs.

Best? I don't know, but Stan has treated me well so far.

Default Is Stan the one

that worked with the old Gun Runners down on Dimond and Arctic?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

No...Stan Jackson has always worked out of his home...at least he has since I have known him (15+ years). His work is good and prices are reasonable. His number is 250-0252.

Default Stan Jackson

Stan is known for the accuracy of his rifles. We have have several of his on consignment (go figure) in the shop, one right now, and they are really fine guns.

I use Steve untiet. He used to be the head smith at a large and arrogant shop. he decided to go on his own. Hes doing a 416remmag for me now. hes doing it out of his house but he has some real nice CNC machinery (and other old school machines). Been using him for a number of years and no complaints so far.

Stan's prices are less than most lower 48 smiths. I heard of a job or two that was blotched but like others here I have been very happy with the work he has performed for me.
    Most recently he rebarrel a W70 and a Ruger 77 with Lilja barrels and they sure do shoot.
    Tennessee

I had a cut and crown and sights put on by Red's Gun Shop in Chickaloon...the guy did a great job, was super friendly, and in a timely manner...thinkin of cuttin another barrel down just to chat with him again

I do all my own work for myself, family and friends.

I've heard so many good things about Stan Jackson for many years, from shooters that I respect. Seen examples of his work, that I would not hesitate to have him do work for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have used Andy Hawk several times over the years and I believe that he also once worked for an overpriced shop owned by an arrogant fellow that specializes in customm take down Marlin lever guns.............anyway, Andy has always done a really nice job for me, he is friendly, and accurate with his cost and time estimates. He can be reached at 562-0881 and if you decide to send work his way, I am confident that you will be very pleased with the results.

Thanks for the info folks, Now I have something to work with.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Stan Jackson.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I use Steve untiet. He used to be the head smith at a large and arrogant shop. he decided to go on his own. Hes doing a 416remmag for me now. hes doing it out of his house but he has some real nice CNC machinery (and other old school machines). Been using him for a number of years and no complaints so far.
    How does one get a hold of Steve Untiet?

Default steves shop

steve unitet has a gun shop now on old seward and dimond, he does all the custom work that you would expect and has good prices. definately a good guy to go to

Default Does anybody remember

a smith named Bob Rheem (s?) had a place he called the Gun Nut a few years back. Did good work.