Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska unfair to Military Hunters

Default Alaska unfair to Military Hunters

Members,
    I posted this in response to a regulation thread, but it really is a seperate issue and I wanted to see what some others thought. This is a portion of a e-mail I sent the Governor.

Why do Military members have to wait an entire year to qualify as a “resident” for hunting purposes? Is it so we (military) won’t get access to the oil revenue money? If it is, I understand the reason behind that regulation (living in the state for a full year to qualify), but I see no rhyme or reason except greed to charge military members who are PCSed (permanent change of station) here even half of the non-resident fee. I have never encountered this in any other state I have been stationed in. Many states even waive / provide special opportunities to soldiers who usually have very limited hunting time.

Default Military tags

As a retired military member, I feel your pain. I got here in 1984 in the Air Force, and thought the law was wrong, too. However, I quickly saw the reason and fully support it. Alaska is not like most other places you can go. Alaska will kill the unprepared. I came from a hunting family and background, but I learned so much in that first year. I saw many newcomers that thought they were Dan'l Boone, until they got tangled up in the Alaska bush. If you get lost, for example, you had better know where you are, because the nearest road can be a hundred miles or more.
    You are given the option of hunting on military land that first year without paying the non-resident fees. You can go hunt off base, but only have to pay half of the non-resident fees. This is quite fair.
    As far as not giving you any oil money, that is strictly for true Alaska reasidents, not for the military that comes here for a few years and leaves. The state can come after anyone that does this, and does it on occasion. Be careful with these programs.
    That first year is a time to learn, but it does pass slowly.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

How is it unfair? Holding military members to the same resident requirements seems to be the very definition of fair. It seems that what you're looking for isn't fairness, but privilege.

I know that this probably won't be a popular sentiment. Actually, I would probably support waiving the non-res fees for military members, but I just wanted to point out that the current system is most certainly fair, in that it treats military members and civilians equally.

No way I can say it better than Brian did.
    And a sincere THANK YOU for your service Bravo 2!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I don't see why it ain't fair.

Man up, dude. It's a year...find somebody to pack for, maybe learn a few things.

If you decide to become a resident and are later moved, due to military obligations, hunting as you know it can become quite expensive. For example I have lived in states where a military clause allowed for inexpensive hunting in that state, but to caveat, I currently live in a state that has no clause. It cost me over $500 a year to hunt small game, turkey and two deer tags as a non-resident. Quite frankly, the hunting isn't that great, but if you love the sport as I do you'll pony up the money.

Worst case scenario, purchase a black bear tag next spring. It won't set you back that much.

Don't be one of those guys who expects a handout simply because of your military status.

Default Greed huh?

& that's because, military members get paid???

Default Greed?????

I also want to point out what you said, that even in that first year, you can get non-resident tags at half price. This is more than fair. No other group gets this priviledge.

Alaska treats her military members exceptionally well. Don't get on everyone's bad side by calling our state unfair or greedy. Alaska is us, and we are Alaska.

As I said in my other post, military "residents" that only become residents to get a dividend or other state services are selling themselves short, and cheating every real Alaskan. The state will come after them if they are caught. I know of a few that had to repay every cent they received from dividends, PLUS a $5,000.00 fine for each of their dependants they claimed when they PCS'ed and took up residence in a different state to take advantage of the free state benefits for residents. I wish the state would go after every one that did this. They are cheats and theives taking from real Alaskans.

Default just my thoughts

I think one thing that is overlooked here is the economic impact that hunting&fishing bring to the state of Alaska, unlike any other state. Secondly, the animals in alaska are unique, meaning you just can't find them anywhere in our country. The price of tags dim in comparison to transport to the field by a charter, or even the gas spent driving places. Remember what the money is going for--at least I hope it is going for the preservation of the wildlife that you are hunting. I am sure that a fair share goes to bureacracy, but even the donations that are made every winter/spring for drawing special permits--should be thought of just like that, a donation to help the wildlife get better. Remember that if you don't fill your tag, that you can always shoot a animal of equal/or lesser value, my first year I bought the NR moose tag for 1/2 price, didn't get a moose, but did shoot a nice black bear--so I felt like it was worth the price. As far as the comment that was made by gogoalie concerning the money we make--I hope this was in jest--as a 2nd Lt I qualified for food stamps. For the amount/quality of work that military members do compared to civilian counterparts==we are highly underpaid, but if you are in it for the money--then you are in it for the wrong reasons.

Gobblinfool, you say you qualify for food stamps. That is one of your "benefits". However, add in your tax-exempt pay, such as your housing, overseas, seperate rations, etc., that is not factored in your REPORTED income for pay purposes, and you are better paid that most civilians.

As a 2nd Lt., you have a long row to hoe, but it gets better.

Default & emaling the gov. ain't going to do a thing...

As she don't write the laws, the senators & representatives do...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    As a retired military member, I feel your pain. I got here in 1984 in the Air Force, and thought the law was wrong, too. However, I quickly saw the reason and fully support it. Alaska is not like most other places you can go. Alaska will kill the unprepared. I came from a hunting family and background, but I learned so much in that first year. I saw many newcomers that thought they were Dan'l Boone, until they got tangled up in the Alaska bush. If you get lost, for example, you had better know where you are, because the nearest road can be a hundred miles or more.
    You are given the option of hunting on military land that first year without paying the non-resident fees. You can go hunt off base, but only have to pay half of the non-resident fees. This is quite fair.
    As far as not giving you any oil money, that is strictly for true Alaska reasidents, not for the military that comes here for a few years and leaves. The state can come after anyone that does this, and does it on occasion. Be careful with these programs.
    That first year is a time to learn, but it does pass slowly.......
    Agree with you on this. I am a retired veteran, and didn't mind at all waiting one year.

On a side note to what Brian said, remember that military members get to hunt on Military land in the first year without waiting, and also recieve reduced price tags as well. I'd say Alaska goes above and beyond for the military and rightfully so. We all have waited that year Bravo, your time will come, other option is pony up the reduced cost tags and hunt in the first year.

Default 2nd Lt is more than what I had...

I came up as a Sra back in the day. That translates to about half of what you make. I went out and bought a couple of those half priced tags and loved spending every penny. It's such a blessing to live in this state, man I believe I'd pay alot more to keep on hunting here. Don't tell the clowns who keep trying to raise our license fees though!

Default Unfair?

I too would agree that BrianM hit the nail and is 100% correct and this is comming from a retired jarhead. I will say that most would probably agree that it would be nice and probably approriate to waive the fee for those who have served and are serving but it definately would be a privilege.

Agreed the time restraints are there for safety and equitable for all hunters. While I feel our military folks deserve more thanks and appreciation from the public at large I can see no reason to change the regs as they stand. At least not were the time restraints are concerned.

PS I payed the nonresident fee my first year and I know of at least one member who ponyed up the $100 for a fishing license who makes minimum wage at a part time job!

Default Better think again

Military who have been here for 30 days or more can hunt on military lands for FREE! If you want to hunt off military lands you get to buy big game tags at half price. Those sound like nice perks to me. Once you have been stationed here 12 months you can get a "resident" license even if you remain a resident of another state.

I'm not sure why you would convolute your message to the Governor with reference to oil revenues. The AKPFD is for Alaskan residents who intend to remain residents. I'd check out the State web-site and see just what it takes to qualify for that program. It's quite a bit different than fulfilling the requirements for military to obtain an AK hunting license.

Several years ago I recall a family (civilian) had moved up here from one of the lower 48 states. They were so upset that they were not entitled to the PFD the very first time they applied that it made the evening news. They said it just wasn't fair! After all, it was one the main reason they moved here when they did.

It may not always seem fair. But in this case, I feel it is more than fair.

Default Tags cost too much???

Paying half price for a tag really isn't that much. Jeesh, I know that back in some of the midwestern states now to hunt deer nonresident it will cost you over 150 in all appropriate tags and licenses.

As to the people who think that the military don't make enough money, take a step back and look at what you are spending money on. I hear this a lot and it makes me sick. Why? Probably because growing up in the Midwest, lots of people work their whole lives and don't make as much as I do as a Staff Sergeant. My parents have been working since after highschool and are now both around the 50 year mark, and neither of them makes more than me, and I've been doing this job for 5 years. Maybe most of you that think you're not getting paid enough haven't ever had to live in a household where you have to wear your cousins hand me downs or get 1 pair of shoes a year and they better **** well last! Come on guys, if you don't make enough money maybe you should change your lifestyle and drive an older vehicle, or maybe not buy that new quad or new bow... mines **** near 15 years old and I can still shoot it good enough to kill something.

Sorry for the rant, but as an Active Duty military member I felt I should let my opinion be heard.

schmidty

Default AMEN Schmitty

VERY WELL SAID Schmitty. You spoke volumes there, and I agree...

Default Well said but ....

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    .... or new bow...
    I just can't agree on this part......! Man - not having a new bow would be toooooo much to ask. ;-(

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast