Thread: Benelli R1

Default Benelli R1

Anybody ever tried the Benelli R1 semi-auto rifle? I'm thinking of getting my wife one in 300 WSM. She insists on using a semi-auto to hunt with and always wants to use one of my M1As. I really don't like anybody touching my M1As. I was thinking if the 300 WSM is too much for her, I can go down to 3006 or 308 with the interchangeable barrels.

As cheap as I see the old Browning auto rifles go for, I think that would make a cheaper choice and maybe, better?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Benelli R1 with ComforTech

I use one here and I really like it. Have heard of some trouble with ejection with the short mag calibers. Also the trigger is stiff, had to have mine worked by a smith. The recoil is incredibly light. I have taken numerous animals with it mine is a 300 win mag.

Steve

Thanks for the replies, I was looking at the R1 because of the comfort tech stock and I know Benelli makes really good stuff. Maybe I should stick with the 300 WM for her if the WSM has a tendency to jam in them.

I looked at the brownings but I liked the idea of a stock that is designed for less felt recoil, sounds like it is not just hype then? stid, have you ever switched the barrel on it? oh nice moose BTW.

I'm not too worried about the cost, this will probably be the first and last hunting weapon I ever buy her.

Default Barrels

I have not changed the barrels but I have removed mine many times. A barrel change would be EZ. I hear that the 308, 30-06, and 300 are all solid. The cost I saw on the barrels was around 750 bucks for the barrel and the bolt assembly.
    That moose was killed by another on our float hunt this year.

Steve

Nothing about Benelli is cheap ey?

Is this rifle priced about 1,000.00 ?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Is this rifle priced about 1,000.00 ?
    It was $1239 at Sportsmens Warehouse today.

Hi Steve, I did buy her the R1 in 300 WM with the comfort tech stock. I also had Precision Arms put a muzzle brake on it. I topped it with a Burris Signature Select 3 -12 with posilok. That thing is sweet! It barely kicks at all. She thinks it is even less than my M1A and loves it. She was able to put 3 rounds in an 1.75 inch circle at 100 yards...that's plenty accurate enough for hunting moose an caribou etc. I think she will get better with it too.

I don't think I would have felt comfortable spending that much money without a positive reply on this site.
    Thanks!
    Greg

how well do you like your Benenlli R1 ,after the few years you have owned it ,,
    my son has the Thompson Center Venture in 308 ,, now i would like to get him the Benelli R1 in 308 .

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaman View Post
    how well do you like your Benenlli R1 ,after the few years you have owned it ,,
    my son has the Thompson Center Venture in 308 ,, now i would like to get him the Benelli R1 in 308 .

thanks
    I used my R-1 in 300 WM for several years to hunt Alaska. Here is a link to a thread I wrote on it.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11936

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for giving us confidence in our choice of the best auto to buy, i like the Benelli R1 it has the feature of looking like a rifle and the 1 to 11 twist , i think it will handle 180 grain with no problems.
    My son is 13 he just got the TC Venture 308, to get his first moose and a Weatherby 20ga, auto for the Grouse Ridge Range
    a step up from his 870, 20ga.pump and his Ruger 10-22 Butler creek
    his 870 in now converted to a rifled barrel for sabots.

thanks again for your photos.

Default R1, effective alternative, with autoloader caveats....

An older thread, but a good one on a good rifle.

1. Great alternative way to step up: last winter, my daughter worked her shooting up from her Ruger 10/22 to .243Win bolt rifle to .270WSM and learned to shoot it well. I thought the softer recoil of the Benelli R1 made a big difference for her in the step-up in calibers and heavier bullets, as we prepared for our first hunt together, Spring 2010. As autoloaders go, we both were pleased with this rifle. I was pleased because she was pleased.

2. Two things we learned about autoloaders: cleaning and locking up the action:

Stid2677 posted an excellent thread in the Benelli forums on cleaning the R1; how and why. It takes more time - and a couple of extra tools are helpful - especially the locking ring pliers:
    http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14472

Fully locking up the action is worth practicing at the range. Maybe most others already know this, but we found that anytime the bolt was allowed to slam forward unrestricted, then the rifle cycled flawlessly. But in the field, imagine boating to a beach to stalk a black bear, where you might want to chamber a round quietly. We found that easing the bolt forward in this fashion sometimes did not fully lock the bolt up - leading to a failure-to-fire. This was a problem we could replicate consistently - but was easily solved also by letting the bolt slam home. Once we figured this out and planned a work-around, things went fine.

Shooting the R1 made the transition to 130gr, 140gr bullets much easier for my 16 y/o daughter at a time when her hunting rifle experience was limited. The bottom line I figured was that she was quite comfortable shooting an effective round accurately by the time we left for the hunt.