Thread: Forty Mile Herd

Default Forty Mile Herd

Anybody heard about the location of the Forty Mile Herd. RC867 opened Nov 1st. Are they accesable by snowmachine/tracked ATV this time of the year or in December? I have never hunted them but have heard most people wait until later in the season around Feb when they cross the Steese Highway. I don't mind making a trek out on the machine to get them.

Thanks

Default Nov 1st?

My info. says December 1st.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default FYI

federal permits start 1 Nov everyone else 1 Dec

Default unknown where they are at

I called the hotline a few minutes ago. The hotline stated that an aerial survey would be conducted a week before the state Dec 1st opener.

Fortymile Hotline: 267-2310, Tok ADF&G: 883-2971.

Good luck to the Federal hunters who get the head start.

Blackfoot,

I had to look up the Nov 1 opener info as well. I thought polaristracker was off by a month also.

I do not know if the Federal hunt closes when the EO comes out, but normally the state hunt is closed by the second weekend of the hunt. The way the season dates are written I would say that both hunts close when the quota is reached reguardless if the Federal or state hunters reach the harvest quota.

Default Rc867

Then that wouldn't be RC867 would it? I'm not familiar how the "subsistence" hunts work.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Federal and state hunters are RC867

After reading the hunt info I would say that the Federal and state hunters are the same permit (RC867.) The federal hunters get the first shot at getting the total and then the state hunters get to finish the hunt out.

here is a map of the hunt area

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/GIS/m...ibou/rc867.gif

Here is the page for the details of the hunt.

http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fus...007&hunt=RC867

Default Forty Mile

I shorty realized my mistake/miscommunication after my post, but didn't take the time to correct it. In the ADFG regs it states the registration (only) opens Nov 16th. By default I learned that if you go to the ADFG website you can now registrer for that hunt, Nov 1st. So I meant to type the "registration" opened on Nov 1st, not the hunt. But everyone is correct this "hunt" for state registered users doesn't open till Dec 1st. Didn't know about the federal subsistence hunters, so that is good news to know, good for them maybe bad for us resident state hunters. Anyways hoping to try and hit this hunt early this year, because in the past put it off and usually the hunt closes pretty early (quota is usually met), from my last two years of experience up here in Fairbanks. Anyways any more info about past successes with this hunt will be much appreciated. Good luck to everyone and maybe will see you in the field.

Pretty self explanatory if you read the regs. If an area has only one tag, in this case RC867 it is all rolled into one. When they say the quota for RC867 is ? and the tag covers federal and state hunters then when the quota is filled then its filled. Ive been here for only 7 years and have never seen that area close before the December 1st hunt ( except for the fall hunt) so if someone is worried about numbers there will be plenty considering only a few were taken during the fall.

Anyone want to offer up some info on the terrain out there and the kind of riding invovled? I've never been out that direction, but want to try it once the state season opens.

I had someone telling me that he's heard lots of horror stories about people in nasty nasty steeps - things like lost machines that were never recovered? Is this the norm out the steese or do you have to try pretty hard to get into ugly dangerous terrain?

I have never taken out a snowmachine during the winter hunt, always road hunted but have been back all over the area in the fall hunt on ATV and there are hair raising spots all over. You have to be picky where you go but most of the trails are beat down pretty good but there are plenty of steep areas out there. This past fall a friend of mine was back off of circle hot springs and had his buddy roll his atv off a steep hill and broke some ribs. I can only speculate for the winter hunt that being snow covered you wont be able to see things that you would normally see in the fall but there are plenty of sowmachines out there around the 12 mile summit area and Im sure plenty of hunters on this forum that will be able to give you better reports than me.

Default Little snow

If things continue as they have been, this will be another winter of little snow around the area. Last winter I saw a lot of ATVs out off the Steese verses snowmachines. I, for one, would really like a good dumping of snow during the next 3 weeks!

Besides the hotline number that will update the week before has anyone traveled the Steese lately and saw any of the 40 mile or white mountains herd???

Default White Mountain herd

A good name for the White Mountain herd would be the "Ghost Herd." I went after these ghosts twice last year. I never cut a track or seen a single bou. I only know of one person who has shot a white mountain caribou. I can not hunt the white mountain herd this year, but I will try to find them. I will be content with shooting with the camera. Maybe I will run across a wolf or two that could use some lead treatment. The White Mountains are a beautiful place to ride the snowmobile, so a day seeing no caribou is still a good day on the sled in the White Mountains.

I went last year for the Steese-40 mile hunt on the last day before the EO went into affect. We ended up by the town of Circle. We rode the sleds in. The tops of all of the ridges were bare. I would assume this is typical all year long. We did see 15 bou, but did not get a shot of. The caribou climbed a ridge that I could not get my snowmobile over or around to catch up with the small band. Again a great day of riding and seeing the bou were a bonus. This year the boy will be shooting bou. I am taking the shotgun for ptarmigan.