Thread: Rex Trail

Default Rex Trail

I have been out of the country the last couple of weeks, and haven't been following the weather. Is the Rex trail snowmachinable yet? Are the Totatlanika and Tatlanika frozen? Enough to snowmachine across? Any moose left back there? Thanks.

It's usually the third week of November before the rivers freeze. Some years you can get across earlier, but not normally.

Very interested in the Rex trail since I don't have a moose this year. I want to keep this on topic but what kind of sled are you taking? I want to make a trip up when it is passable but don't know which sled to take. I have an '04 mountain cat and a '96 2up air cooled Couger. The MC has 271 miles on it and does have ice scratchers for trail riding. The Couger is imaculate with under 500 miles and has the 550 air cooled motor.

With no more snow than we have had the meadows are likely to be blown clear of snow, as is the area around the lake. And the trail is likely to be hard pack with little loose snow. The trails off the Rex have not been cleared in years so the willows are encroaching pretty bad making the trails very narrow. Meaning you and your machine are going to get beat up pretty bad by brush. Low snow, lots of ice or hard pack, narrow brushy trails, does that help? I'm taking my Tundra II. No way I'll take my Arctic Cat, too wide, and it's liquid cooled. A narrow fan cooled machine is what I'm taking.

Last year first 40 miles is pretty wide, no brush issues on the trail. This year who knows. Imagine creeks/river have running water in them and will for another month, there are a couple of overflow areas even in the coldest of times but nothing to worry about in the first 40 miles once it gets good and cold. I suspose if the Chena is open all over town that is a good indicator that there is plenty of open water on the Rex. Just my opinions after my one trip in last year.

Any Rex Trail Reports?

Default Any recent updates on the Rex?

Has anyone been out the Rex trail past the two rivers, either by snowmachine or 4-wheeler? Any current updates on the rivers? Any current info would be great.

Default ATV-able?

Is anyone going to head up there by ATV over the Thanksgiving weekend? I'm interested in going up there if the sweety agrees to look after the kids...

IceKing02

I'll be in there the week following Thanksgiving. Will be camping out for one week.