Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Posting Pictures

Default Posting Pictures

One of the most frequent questions that we get here is how to post a picture. Following are some of the slides from a presentation we did this past spring at the Great Alaska Sportsman Show. These slides compare two of the photo posting options - attaching the file here or hosting it elsewhere. The slides focus specifically on photobucket.com as a photo hosting option, but other sites are available as well. (Google photos, picassa, etc.) Hopefully the following will be of help for those who are frustrated by this process.

Note: If you cannot see the pictures in the following thread, it may be due to a filter on your computer or your employer's network. Some filters block photo-hosting sites such as photobucket.com

Default One Of The Most Frequent Questions Revisited

Hi Brian,

Need help with photo-hosting.
    I have long used photobucket, since I got my D-80 and flickr instituted a restrictive monthly limit.
    Recently photobucket has institutred a size limit for uploads, which requires a separate size-down step prior to hosting.

I see you mentioned Google. I do manage a lot of my pics through Google, via Picassa.
    Is there a way to get a url or other email link via Picassa?
    I know you can post a link to a web album, but that is not my intention.

Thanks in advance. My apologies for the seemingly 'blond' question!
    ~Shutter-Bug Doc

RSKY - You know, I've never used Picassa. I know a number of members have, so I'll have to look into how to go that route. Perhaps I'll open up an album today to see how it works. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Thanks Brian!
    I have used photobucket for other forums, but they just recently started with this 3MB restriction. MAJOR PITA!

I resorted to 'phototuner' to resize prior to photobucketing.

PHOTOTUNER LINK

Picassa is nice for filing images and for subtle tweaking.
    I still am a purist who believes the art takes place behind the camera, not in front of the computer.
    That said, Photoshop CS3 is in my future -- mostly for special effects... and for 'keeping up with the times!'

Any guidance appreciated.

~RSKY BIZ

Default Posting images from Picasa

Yes, it is possible to take an image from an online Picasa album and post it on these forums. For those who do not yet use it, Picasa is a free Google photo editor that allows several Gb of online photo albums. Here's a picture from one of my albums showing dipnetting last summer on the Kenai River.

What I did to get this image is open my Picasa "public gallery", click on the photo I wanted, and then right-clicked on that image. In Firefox, I copied the image location and pasted it into the picture dialog box that opened when I clicked the

image that is available in the advanced WYSIWYG editor. (If you don't have this icon on your "reply to thread" window, then select it in your user options in the User CP.)

In Internet Explorer, you can do the same, except right click on the image, select "properties" and copy the address (URL) then paste it in.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    Hi Brian,

I see you mentioned Google. I do manage a lot of my pics through Google, via Picassa.
    Is there a way to get a url or other email link via Picassa?
    I know you can post a link to a web album, but that is not my intention.

~Shutter-Bug Doc

Default Wsiwyg???

Thanks for the step-by-step, Dave.
    Seems like tending to the ill and injured in the ER is an easier task, but I accept the challenge.
    I enjoy shooting / sharing images, so this is important to me.

Gotta ask -- What the heck is WSIWYG? I thought medicine was bad with acronyms! Always learning . . .

I must take a moment to celebrate --
    I JUST got FLOOR tickets for Jimmy Buffet's last show of his current tour 'The Year of Still Here'. . . in VEGAS, BABY!
    ~Parrothead-Shutter-Bug-Sailor-Doc

Default wysiwyg

Ah...we're ALL bad with acronymns. What You See Is What You Get = WYSIWYG (pronounced whiz ee wig). This allows you to see in the editor what you'll eventually get for output. Mostly.

David

Default Update

I guess it is time to update this since we can now host pics right here on the AODD! I will give it a shot and Brian or whomever can edit it as needed!

1: Look in the upper right hand corner of this screen and you will see YourName Click it (well click it in the future...right now right click it and open it in a new tab or window depending on which version of IE you are using so you can still read these directions!)

2: Welcome to your personal page. On the right side of the page there is a Albums section. Click there and look for the "upload pictures" (you may have to select "add album" first. It will either prompt you to name an album or upload a picture (I allready did it and cant go back to verify which comes first). Simply type in an album name and upload a picture using the "browse" button just like using photobucket.

3: Now that you have pictures loaded in your public profile (I have not yet found a way to set your profile to private or limit access to only your friends list) you can open one of the pics you have uploaded and under the picture will be 2 text lines. One is labled BB code, copy that text and paste it in the reply box of the thread you are responding too. Look at you, so internet savy, you have posted a pic and how cool is it we don't need any other websites now!

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default testing photo insert

Good thing I put the kicker up.................

Default test

Let's see if this works.

Default Am I an idiot????

Despite the concise input of the above posted directions I keep hitting roadblocks.

Tried photobucket first. Really slow in loading photos to their site, for some reason it will not allow me to upload files of photos, only one photo at a time which takes forever. Then when I try to paste the IMG code in the "Upload file from a URL" box in the "Manage Attachments" section here I get an "Invalid File" upload error response?

So I tried the "public profile" route next. When I click on "Add Album" I get a "Title" box, but no browse button, so I'm stuck again this time not knowing how to get the photos into my personal page in order to insert into posts.

Haven't tried Picasa yet.

Any help??

I have never had a problem with the manage attachment files. Id get ahold of one of the mods and see what they have to say also. Im not the computer expert here.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Busta Ribs -- I Feel Your Pain!

I 'gave up' for a while, but that's not my usual 'MO' --

Let me try a quick one before heading back to work in 'Ike's Path'...

Back to working a Houston ER...then it's back to ALASKA, Baby, for two more weeks!

Soon,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Ribs View Post
    Then when I try to paste the IMG code in the "Upload file from a URL" box in the "Manage Attachments" section here I get an "Invalid File" upload error response?
    You don't put the IMG code into the manage attachments section, you just paste it right into the body of a message. It's not technically an attachment, which is why such pictures show up full size instead of as a thumbnail. Pics from photobucket and picasa also don't take up server space here either, which is another reason that I prefer that route.

Simply cut and paste the IMG code right into your message - no attachments necessary.

Default Thanks Brian

OK, I got it now. I guess I am an idiot after all!

test..........
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast