Thread: Trails

Default Trails

Just wondering if there are any books or anything out there that may tell where the trails in alaska are? I just bought the new grizzly 700 and Its killing me not being able to ride any where. I've only been to Ekultna lake area, and it was pretty awesome. Just wondering if there is any where to ride in the winter also?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    Just wondering if there are any books or anything out there that may tell where the trails in alaska are? I just bought the new grizzly 700 and Its killing me not being able to ride any where. I've only been to Ekultna lake area, and it was pretty awesome. Just wondering if there is any where to ride in the winter also?
    The Knik River Valley is usually the only place you can ride year around. Only 2 or 3 years out of the last 15 has there been too much snow. The Chinook winds usually sweep it snow free every month or so. If you stay up on current conditions it's also possible to ride on groomed snowmachine trails at certain times also. Hatcher Pass and Eureka are ones I've done in midwinter.
    As far as books on atv trails it's slim pickings. Arctictrails forums (it's down) had a good collection of info.
    I did pick up one good book called Alaska Wilderness Trails. It lists real good atv info for 23 trails, mostly southcentral and along the Glenn. It was published in 1989.
    This is the info from the inside cover, I have no idea where to get one or if this addy is still good.

ALASKA WILDERNESS TRAILS
    Published by S&R Publishing
    P.O Box 242772
    Anchorage, AK 99524

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Petersville rd is pretty good in the winter if you have good tires on your ATV. For winter ATV riding I have installed heated hand grips and thumb warmer, and a set of those plastic hand gaurds that helps keep the wind off of your hands. Since you are running an EFI machine like I do (King Quad 700) then I might also suggest brining along a fully charged spare battery in you rack bag with a couple of those chemical hand warmers taped to it, If your battery goes dead or freezes on you miles from the truck you will be glad you toted the spare along. In late December I usually park the ATV and switch to Snowmachine, but there are many places you can ride your ATV year round. A couple of things to remember though......... ATV's do NOT like overflow and you can quickly end up with a radiator covered with an Ice shell that will cause your machine to overheat constantly. Also, ice shards and chunks will tear up CV boots in short order unless kept clear and traction can be an issue unless you have studded your tires or use chains. And you dont want to find out half way up that really steep hill and your nice new ATV spinns out and ends up sideways and rolling down the hill crushing you in the process! I have also taken to putting panty hose over the intake to the belt drive when I ride in powdery conditions. It doesnt take much powder snow getting sucked into the belt drive to cause the belt to slip.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I forgot to mention that once we get a good hard freeze with plenty of ice on the rivers and lakes, you can hit the trail system by Big Lake and the little Sue for miles and miles of riding..............bring your GPS if you are not familiar with the area Many of the trails get packed down pretty good within a couple days of fresh snow, but your ATV is NOT a snowmachine so if you get a wild hair and decide to do some "boondocking" off the trail you will want to have a helicopter sling handy to get your machine out

Default Trails In Willow

Trails in Willow are fun to explore in the winter but please get snow vehicle tags when using a 4-wheeler on groomed trails! If it's cold, these trails are hard, fast, and fun! Also the trails in lower Hatchers Pass are good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    Just wondering if there are any books or anything out there that may tell where the trails in Alaska are? I just bought the new grizzly 700 and Its killing me not being able to ride any where. I've only been to Ekultna lake area, and it was pretty awesome. Just wondering if there is any where to ride in the winter also?
    Private message sent to you...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/