Thread: collar

Default collar

I have a GSP/springer mix; 2 yrs old and has tons of energy. Issue that's I've run into.....once I put the sport dog collar on she is cool as a cucumber. Take it off and she's crazy in the head.

Will I ever get to the point where she responds without the collar. I suspect that proper training will most likely get us there. Thoughts?

Tony

It's called age. Time slows all things down. That's what her future holds for her. Not to be out done, the same applies to you, it just takes more time for you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

"I suspect that proper training will most likely get us there. Thoughts?"

Yep. Sounds like original basics weren't sound enough. Since your dog is now "collar wise". I would revisit all basics with the collar on all the time. Have the unit turned off though. Through repetition your dog will learn to respect you and not the power of the collar. After a while they won't realize it is even there. Have your dog wear it everywhere as part of your training. Eventually you want to slip it off. But let them "wear it out". The putting on and off of the collar has become a "switch" to your dog. Good behavior and the do what I want to attitude. This can be solved rather easily.
    Let me know if I can help.

Dummy Collar helps too. I made mine by duct taping a D cell battery to their every day collars, that way they think they have the training collar on all the time.

But these guys are right, Basics are the foundation.

Every dog I've ever used a collar on has given me that you've got to be kidding, right look? With the dummy collar. I know these dogs have got the nose to tell the number of transistors in the collar ain't right, they know!

You can try to play the three card Monte switcheroo, but they always know.

Wet's got the handle on this game right. There is a lot more to collar training than what most folks understand. Collar training MUST start with the HANDLER, NOT the dog!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default agree

Thanks for the input. I do agree it has alot to do with the time that I put into her training. Time to start over from scratch. Btw....since the post I have had her wear the collar everyday so that it becomes the norm.

Again, appreciate the comments.

Tony