Thread: Bone / wood saw recommendations?

Default Bone / wood saw recommendations?

Any recommendations on bone / wood saw combos? I have an older folding Gerber with inter-changable blades that has worked fine but is ready for replacement. The bone blade worked great for deer and elk, it may be a bit small for moose (haven't had a chance to try yet). I believe I only paid $15 or so for it at Wal-Mart but it seems they no longer carry them. Any experience with the Wyoming saws? I'm mostly looking for a compact saw for handling tree limbs or fire wood for a night or two and to help in field processing deer, caribou, even moose if it fit the bill.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Default Spydersaw

There have been several posts on saws in the past. Did you look there already? I also started a thread asking for feedback on the SPYDERCO SPYDERSAW but never got any feedback.I currently use a folding saw. The blade is about 9". Coglans (sp) makes a similar saw and the blades are replaceable. I was looking for a bit lighter saw and found the spydersaw but did not know if it was too short or not.

I've used a Wyoming saw for years. Works good. I have the first one, the shorter of the two. The longer one may be better.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up Wyoming saws

I did go back through the previous posts. Had to go back quite a ways from found some previous posts on this subject and Wyoming saws seem to be popular up here. I think they'll serve me well. Thanks for the info.

I carried and used a Wyoming saw for years untill someone here posted about just buying a regular Stanley saw with those extra sharp teeth. They cost about $10. Are lighter than the Wyoming, and no parts to loose. They go through bone like a hot knife through butter.
    Tennessee

Problem with those Stanley saws is that they don't break down like the Wyoming saws do. I really like my Wyoming III saw and wouldn't use anything else.

Years ago I purchased the longer Wyoming saw from Cabela's that completely breaks down in a case that has both a long bone blade and a long tree blade. It fits perfectly into my pack's spotting scope slot, or can be carried on you hip as it has a belt. I absolutely love this combination. If you have ever used a hacksaw, then tried the short blade/handle hacksaw you know the old style is much easier to use. With the Wyoming I can cut a tree branch or remove a set of antlers in a few minutes...with the smaller handle type saws it can take forever IMHO
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

The Stanley doesnt need to break down. It is a flat thin package with no parts to loose. It fits very easily into a day pack or back pack.
    I used my Wyo saw for years untill I read the posts here on the Stanley style saws. I may be dumb but I am trainable! Why spend 40-50 bucks for a saw that is heavier and requires you change the blades and has parts you can loose vs 10 bucks for a saw that can cut better. I was skeptical to untill I gave them a try.
    Anyone wanna buy my Wyo? It is the long version.
    Tennessee

I'll give you $10 bucks for it.....

Gee, if you like them so much $30. Blades are new.
    Tennessee

I'll meet you half way, $20....

I used to think all that foldem up stuff was neat, until I stared using a real bone saw (shorter version). Why they seem to work just like a real bone saw is suppose to.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson