Thread: Moose in Juneau?

Default Moose in Juneau?

Anybody ever hear of moose hanging out in granite basin? One of my buddies was up there yesterday and thought he saw some moose tracks and by the size he was describing there was no way it was a deer... So anybody see or hear of any up there? It seems like pretty good habitat...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Moose

The real estate agent I bought my house from said he saw one years ago right out on the side of the road I think in the valley some place or maybe lemon creek. Anyway he said there was about 30 cars pulled over taking pictures so im sure he isn't the only one to claim it was there.

Something strange I ran into in Haines while hunting was some almost moose size tracks but thinner hooves. There were alot of them like they were in a herd following the same trail. I took a pic, and when I got home I compared it to moose, and it definetly wasn't, and then to elk, and It was exact. There isn't any elk around there right? I swear the track was exact though. I know there are moose in Haines but this was high up right at tree line on some steep slopes.

Default haines

AK powder monkey
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-04-2007 at 22:15.

Monkey...

There have been periodic moose sightings in Juneau over the last 30 or so years ...

One on Douglas, another on Fritz Cove, come to mind.

These are legitimate sightings.

It is always assumed that these are Taku moose that went for a swim... But, the Berner's population isn't that far away, nor is Homeshore for that matter.

They'll show up here in mass IF ADF&G and the people let them.

The glaciers are in retreat, and there is nothing too difficult for them to swim as far as I can see already.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

If there is one in the granite creek basin, and theres a taku populations there would be a real possibily that the moose came from taku, I mean its only a mountain... Right?

I heard of one walking into superbear once so I assume theres been periodic sightings...

This is the second year in a row that I've hears of really really big "deer" tracks up the preserverance area, just wondering if anyone has heard anything lately...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Douglas

I've seen tracks and one pile of droppings over on Douglas. I figured there was a stray wondered over from Taku or something.

Talking UFO Tracks

It was a Capabarie from old mexico.........LOL

I sincerely doubt they are from Taku - If anything Berners is more likely - To make ti down from Taku they would have to cross icefields and glaciers.

Typically, when we see them around town its when Berners gets a pretty heavy snowfall and they are pushed towards down.

The sightings on Douglas are from a moose that most likely crossed by the wetlands or so.

I'd keep the sightings a well kept secret - Too many people find out and I gurantee they will end up poached.

Something strange I ran into in Haines while hunting was some almost moose size tracks but thinner hooves. There were alot of them like they were in a herd following the same trail. I took a pic, and when I got home I compared it to moose, and it definetly wasn't, and then to elk, and It was exact. There isn't any elk around there right? I swear the track was exact though. I know there are moose in Haines but this was high up right at tree line on some steep slopes.
    Canada has introduced elk into the Haines Jct. area in the Yukon. You never know? I have numerous elk photos from the highway between Haines Jct. and Kluane Lake..

Default Juneau moose

There have been several shot at Anex ck, a couple at Davidson ck, Slocum Inlet, Prospect ck and so on. All these spots are downstream from the glaciers. I have seen moose on my property in Funter Bay, and the miners saw 3 on the road to Greens Ck a few years back. They do get around.

Default Still around

I went out on "That One Ridge" this morning and saw fresh moose tracks in the snow. Didn't look like it was hanging around it was just a straight line across the ridge.